Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sept into Oct 2011 Warm Spell Discussion..

conor123

Upcoming warm spell, highest temperature?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the highest temperature recorded?

• 24c
    • 25c
    • 26c
    • 27c
    • 28c+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Good evening to all,

Here in orly airport ( about 10 miles south of Paris and 4 miles from where i live) no temps under 20c since the 21st of september.for the period 1981-2010 the average above 25c is 4 days up to now we are at 9 days including 2 above 30c (3rd and 10th) .

We started this series of over 25c since the 25th september.It will be a month with high anomaly in France. It is worse or better in the south west and south east of France.

No record as yet , 1895 for september and 1921 and 1985 for early october have set the target too high

what was it like in 1921 in England? anyone? as october 1921 beats them all.Will be hard to beat october 1921 temps.

October 1921 was the 6th warmest on record with an exceptional run of high temperatures in the first 10 days. 28.9C was the high.

Posted
what was it like in 1921 in England? anyone? as october 1921 beats them all.Will be hard to beat october 1921 temps.

October 1921 saw an exceptional late heatwave here too, with London reaching 28.9C on the 5th & 6th and eight of the first ten days reaching 25C somewhere in the UK:

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/1921_weather.htm

Posted

Im really looking forward to this late heatwave as it is going to last more than one day, unlike anything here through the summer.

Highest was 24.9c - july 4th (day after dull)

2nd highest 23.4c June 3rd (day after back to average)

Apart from them being very low highest temperatures, they were the only 2 days above 23c, all the summers here have at least one decent spell of temperatures 23-28c, even the worst ones....

Spells of temperatures in the mid to upper twenties

2010 - multiple 2-3 day spells in june

2009 - 22nd june - 2nd July

2008 - 23rd-31st July

2007 - 1st - 11th june

2006 - lots

2005 - 7th - 13th july

1986 - 26th - 30th June

1972 - 15th - 20th July ( one of the coolest summers)

you get the idea - 2011 must be one of the worst summers ever here for heat

Edited by rjd1000

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Edit: I the BBC has Norwich forecast for 28C on Thursday currently: http://news.bbc.co.u...her/forecast/24

Lovely! Its funny how Ive just moved to Norwich and the warmest spell (nearly) of the year comes right out cue :D Mind you, most places across England should see 24-25c, which really is incredible for this time of year.

Edited by chris93

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Probably not

London for 28C on Thursday now

BBC have me down for 26C on the 1st of October, could be a local record.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

A smashing start to the day and once the remaining fog has cleared, we could be seeing that 26 DgC that's been promised for a couple of days. I'm still not sure that the English October record will be beaten this weekend, but I shall enjoy whatever we get.

post-6667-0-75089100-1317192962.jpg

post-6667-0-75089100-1317192962_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

A lot of condensation outside my windows for sure this morning.

And how often do we see 5 day forecasts like this:

post-94-0-61347600-1317195270_thumb.png

Last time I remember anything similar was July 2006 - the only difference being the numbers were 5-8c higher. Really has been that long since we have a proper southerly covering large parts of the UK with days & days of clear skies and high temperatures.

Its only negative is the shorter days - mornings are still cool(ish) when you get up and its soon dark after you get home. Not to mention the low sun is blinding! But still its lovely and long may it continue!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

A lot of condensation outside my windows for sure this morning.

And how often do we see 5 day forecasts like this:

post-94-0-61347600-1317195270_thumb.png

Last time I remember anything similar was July 2006 - the only difference being the numbers were 5-8c higher. Really has been that long since we have a proper southerly covering large parts of the UK with days & days of clear skies and high temperatures.

Its only negative is the shorter days - mornings are still cool(ish) when you get up and its soon dark after you get home. Not to mention the low sun is blinding! But still its lovely and long may it continue!

It is amazing. Summer in April and September/October this year!

The one positive though is at least we get fresh nights and can sleep. Cannot wait for the weekend!

Posted

I bet more than a few people have delayed putting the BBQ away for the Winter this year

I would love to be in the planing rooms of one of the major retailers seeing how they are going to handle sales of Summer products in the Autumn this weekend

Summer BBQ Recipes.jpg

Britain is facing the hottest autumn for 25 years as a late heatwave could set temperatures blazing right up until mid-October, say weather experts. According to their predictions, the UK will see temperatures of 25C (81F) - higher than those in Hawaii, which is predicted to average at just 20 C (68F) this week.

The Met Office says that there are signs that will be 'several days of warm and dry weather, giving the most settled conditions we have seen for several weeks.' The south and east of the UK will see the best of the weather, with predicted temperatures of 27C (81F). This is more than ten degrees higher than average temperatures for this time of year, which are 16 centigrade in September and 12.5 in October.

Met Office chief forecaster Chris Tubbs said: '... the dominant signal is for much of the UK to get some fine weather from Tuesday onwards. Temperatures could be unseasonably warm in places - certainly above average for this time of year. Other weather forecasters predicted clear skies and steady warm temperatures, with colder, more seasonal conditions not expected for three weeks.

All this is rather different from predictions from the gloomy predictions less than two weeks ago, which forecast snowfall as early as October. Speaking in the Daily Express, senior forecaster at Positive Weather Solutions, Jonathan Powell, said: 'With temperatures reaching these levels, it is certainly the hottest autumn for 25 years,'

Meanwhile, a statement from The Weather Outlook said: 'The warmth looks like pushing quite a long way north and east, so even parts of Yorkshire could record 25C (77F) later in the week... It could turn out to be the finest September spell since 1985.' Last weekend, many parts of Britain were already experiencing balmy temperatures, with daytrippers hitting the beaches to soak up the unusually good weather. And bookings of last-minute stay-cations look set to soar.

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2011/09/27/uk-faces-hottest-autumn-for-25-years/

Posted

I bet more than a few people have delayed putting the BBQ away for the Winter this year

I would love to be in the planing rooms of one of the major retailers seeing how they are going to handle sales of Summer products in the Autumn this weekend

Summer%20BBQ%20Recipes.jpg

http://travel.aol.co...n-for-25-years/

I do not like them saying "the hottest autumn"!

Autumn is a three month period and not just a week.

Then again it was "he who shall not be named" saying this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Looks like I shall be sunbathing for the next few daysgood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Looks like I shall be sunbathing for the next few daysgood.gif

You can if you want, but the UV won't be that high, and you probably will have to sit in the sun for hours to get any notable change in colour blum.gif

Edited by Paul Carter

Posted

Here's another interesting one to ponder:

Will the October highest minimum temperature record for the UK be broken during this warmer spell?

19.4 °C - 1st October 1985 at Aber, Gwynedd

or even just for England:

17.9 °C 1st October 1985 Okehampton, Devon

I haven't got to get much above what we have now in Eastbourne to beat the recent (since 1955) local maximum October record, which looks like October 2006 at 17.6°C

Posted

Here's another interesting one to ponder:

Will the October highest minimum temperature record for the UK be broken during this warmer spell?

19.4 °C - 1st October 1985 at Aber, Gwynedd

or even just for England:

17.9 °C 1st October 1985 Okehampton, Devon

I haven't got to get much above what we have now in Eastbourne to beat the recent (since 1955) local maximum October record, which looks like October 2006 at 17.6°C

I think this will be harder to beat than the maximum.

I can see a high min of only around 16c being recorded.

Posted

Anyone believing that the strength of the sun could restrict temperatures over the next few days might be interested to know that Edmonton in Canada saw 32C just a few days ago. It's on the same latitude as Manchester so shows what a feed of really warm air can do even in late September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Absolutely beautiful out there, we have wall to wall sunshine and is feeling nice and warm the temperature so far has got up to 22.4c

Long may it continue :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Edmonton is continental though where the air would have been coming off a warm landmass, and that warmth was probably self sustaining. We're an island which makes it more difficult for us to reach those heights.

Posted

Edmonton is continental though where the air would have been coming off a warm landmass, and that warmth was probably self sustaining. We're an island which makes it more difficult for us to reach those heights.

True but the current wind direction is limiting the influence of the water surrounding us. Also the minimum temperature overnight there was 6C which is a much lower starting point than what we will be experiencing over the next few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

You can if you want, but the UV won't be that high, and you probably will have to sit in the sun for hours to get any notable change in colour blum.gif

Good thing I have inherited Mediterranean skin off my relatives then! I tan very easily.

Either way it's nice to feel the sun on your skin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

For a change it's lovely out there. Usually when we get warmer weather its accompanied by oppressive levels of humidity. At the moment it's about right as i'm in a suit and not feeling uncomfortable yet! :p Enjoy hot weather, but not when its ridiculous 'sweaty heat'

Clear blue skies, warm sunshine...brilliant. :)

Edited by Bugganuts