Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Weather - Monday 17th Oct

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The squall is starting to appear again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very heavy showers blowing along with very strong gusts, it's starting to kick off a bit now, Finner in NW Ireland is reporting light snow?!

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It's unlikely finner is getting snow, it may just be an error.

The temperature at the time of recording is 8C with a dewpoint of 6C, certainly not conducive to snow in any way. Even if there had been an evaporative cooling event, the dew point would have to be much lower than 6C in order to verify a report of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Reports of torrential rain, high winds and sudden temperature drops in Ireland regional thread.

Edited by Lancashire Lass

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Guys, Finner in NW Ireland is indeed an error. It's an unmanned station so errors happen quite often in regards to the type of precipitation (rain, hail etc),

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Temperature in Peebles fell from 12c to 6c, but has since risen to 10c - any reason for this? A few locations have been rising rapidly since the squall line passed.

Looking forwards for a windy, wet and rapidly cooling rush hour here. crazy.gif

Posted

wind has veered NW'ly over parts of western Ireland with some impressive gusts 50-65mph. Temps really fallen over Ireland also some locations are now at 4-6c

wind increasing all the time here.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Look at that well defined squall line to the front edge of the rain band, looks intense and tight. Nearly here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

havnt had a drop of rain yet but the wind continues to get stronger

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Temperature in Peebles fell from 12c to 6c, but has since risen to 10c - any reason for this? A few locations have been rising rapidly since the squall line passed.

Looking forwards for a windy, wet and rapidly cooling rush hour here. crazy.gif

The squall line will drag cold upper air down to the surface with the precipitation lowering the temperature rapidly. Once this has passed and the sun has come out there is a rebound at the surface but the temperature will drop again quickly once the sun sets and more cold air gets embedded.

Edit - further research suggests that this is not the case with Peebles which is not in the colder air yet.. In this case there will probably be a transitional mixed zone with warmer and colder pockets in heavier bursts of precip.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The wind is starting to pick up here now, and has done suddenly, it's not a case of a slow build up, more a case of *wham*

Posted

Pretty stormy here now with gale force winds gusting over 50mph, exepct the wind to increase further and peak around 3-4pm.

Nice squall line taking shape now, that should bring some very lively weather...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Well, 5 minutes of intense winds and horizontal rain, that's all she wrote.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Aldergrove fell from 11c at 1250 to 4c at 1320

Posted

Looking at stations on Wunderground, there is 19mm/hr falling at a place called Dromara (I assume near Belfast). The temperature there is 4.9C, with a dewpoint of 0C (apparenty, although dewpoints on WG are always a little iffy)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sunny Days, Summer evening Thunderstorms, Snow and Cold.

Hi All, good to be part of Netweather!

After a dull, damp and calm start this morning, winds have started to pick up. It started with a gentle breeze around lunch time to a stiffening breeze now and light to moderate drizzle/rain showers. I am looking forward to the squall line moving over me, I reckon around 18:00 ish

Current conditions temperature 14C Pressure 1008hPa Winds south/southwest at 23mph (as issued by Liverpool airport METAR)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Look at that well defined squall line to the front edge of the rain band, looks intense and tight. Nearly here.

Ahead of this beautifully defined squall line crossing Ireland, there seems to be a smaller line forming in Wales ATM, looking to cross the Midlands later this afternoon

steady 12C Light rain in Brum

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

After a dull, damp and calm start this morning, winds have started to pick up. It started with a gentle breeze around lunch time to a stiffening breeze now and light to moderate drizzle/rain showers. I am looking forward to the squall line moving over me, I reckon around 18:00 ish

Current conditions temperature 14C Pressure 1008hPa Winds south/southwest at 23mph (as issued by Liverpool airport METAR)

Welcome WV, should be interesting for us, it'll probably cross over is at the same time, depending on where you are in L'pool. Good chance for thunderstorms overnight too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Wind really picking up here now, should be a fun few hours. Surprised the METO haven't quantified wind speeds in the warnings, I should think with the passage of the front that 80mph could be acheived around northern England/north Midlands/north Wales area.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Hi, welcome aboard. Looks like an interesting afternoon/evening for us in the NW. Nice to be in on the action. smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sunny Days, Summer evening Thunderstorms, Snow and Cold.

Thanks, I live just east of Liverpool nr Bowering Park / Roby. I will look out for the convection potential for this evening with interest. Hopefully the Irish Sea will pep things up a little as the front passes over it. I will keep a keen eye on the radar from early evening onwards.

WV.

Posted

It should do, the Irish sea is still relatively warm.

The gusts are getting quite big now, just had a 39mph gust from nothing.

Posted

Its been awful here today. roads flooded and my garden is like a jacuzzi, water bubbling up everywhere?

post-7789-0-72193900-1318860294_thumb.jp

Posted

Its been awful here today. roads flooded and my garden is like a jacuzzi, water bubbling up everywhere?

post-7789-0-72193900-1318860294_thumb.jp

rofl.gif sorry I know it's not funny to have your garden flooded, but it's just the way you described it as a jacuzzi.

How heavy did the rain get there, if it's flooded some (or all) your garden with that much water it must have been torrential.