Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Just Brought A Davis Vantage Vue !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

As the thread title suggests I have just brought a Vantage Vue and I must say im very impressed so far.....

Ive got the ISS on a 5 foot pole in the garden untill I can get it on my chimney....(tomorrow hopefully) so I just need to set it up properly...The build quality is of top quality and there is so much it can do eek! then I am all set for the winter temp/dewpoint watching winder season tongue.png

I will be selling my WS2350 once Im settled if anyone is interested..will be cheap

Posted

Mine's been trouble free apart from a new battery at 14 months old (inexpensive, used by some cameras so widely available)

Installed March 2010.

Posted

Yes well the ISS is up on the roof now about 4 feet above the chimney on a mast :) (photos to come!) already had a 17knot gust :D

Posted

As the thread title suggests I have just brought a Vantage Vue and I must say im very impressed so far.....

Ive got the ISS on a 5 foot pole in the garden untill I can get it on my chimney....(tomorrow hopefully) so I just need to set it up properly...The build quality is of top quality and there is so much it can do eek! then I am all set for the winter temp/dewpoint watching winder season tongue.png

I will be selling my WS2350 once Im settled if anyone is interested..will be cheap

I'm very impressed with my WS2350, bare in mind though I modified mine greatly. I changed over a few capacitors and resistors in the temp / base station to send wind reading updates into hyperdrive. The best it would do is 8 second updates when I baught it (still reasonable) Now it updates every 0.7 seconds. I have to change the batterys every 7 weeks mind!

Posted

Positioning the sensors is always a hard thing to compromise on for we amateurs usually with very enclosed gardens.

For the wind sensor then as high as you can get it is probably the right idea. For the temperature/dewpoint/humidity sensors then as close to the ideal Met O set up as possible, TM is your man for giving this in detail as my memory as an ex metman doing this is far from clear. Similarly with measuring rainfall our gardens can often lead to under reading. But whatever its still great fun to do it and the data you collect is spot on for our own little bit of the world. Hours of enjoyment comparing this year with last year etc.

I have an Excel programme for making a diary of what your auto staion shows and your own personal observation if anyone would like a copy just pm me and I'll be happy to send you the one I use. Its as near to the actual Met O 3259 as we called it as I can make it.

Edited by johnholmes

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

So far im very happy with my purchase - So as promised I have decided to part with my Technoline WS2300. I CANT find the rain collector at the moment but i am looking !! it will be on ebay tonight http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=170721294678

it would be great if it went to someone on this forum.... :)

Edited by Mike Storm

Posted

Do you reckon the ISS might not be better at a lower level for more accurate temperature readings? Depends what you're more interested in I guess....wind or temp.

Because I work as an Aerial Installer the Wind is slightly more interesting.... anyway I thought most pro weather stations were @ 10m AGL Which mine is.... or there abouts :)

WS 2300 now on the bay... check the link if anyones interested or pm me (hope nw doesnt mind me pluging my sale thanks)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Because I work as an Aerial Installer the Wind is slightly more interesting.... anyway I thought most pro weather stations were @ 10m AGL Which mine is.... or there abouts :)

WS 2300 now on the bay... check the link if anyones interested or pm me (hope nw doesnt mind me pluging my sale thanks)

The standard height for recording wind speed is 10m above ground level but the standard height for temperature is 1.2m above ground level.

In practice, if your temperature sensors are 10m above the ground, it'll mean that minima will be higher and maxima lower than if they were sited at 1.2m. The amount of difference will depend on the weather conditions.

The least difference with regard to minima will be on cloudy, windy nights and the greatest difference on clear calm nights, broadly speaking the opposite will hold true for daytime maxima.

If you just want a general idea of the temperature it won't matter much but just something to bear in mind if you're comparing your data to other sites.

If you have a raingauge at 10m above the ground it will under-record by a large amount, as much as 70-80% in windy weather, and will really only be of use if it's raining with very little wind.

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

You'll end up with very iffy rain recordings! I found this out. Back in December when we had gales and heavy rain, i recorded about 3mm of rain when it was absolutely heaving down. Three stations within a radius of 5 miles of me, all recorded over 25mm. I took mine down and put it at a sensible height. If it's any higher than 6 feet above the ground, expect poor rain results when it's windy.

Edited by Mapantz