Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Would You Like To Know The Weather 6 Months Ahead ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Talk of teleconnections, back ground indicators etc but would people really like to know what the exact weather will be 6 months in advance and with 99% confidence ?

Would be handy for farmers and other interested groups but would I really like, with 99% confidence know exactly what the weather will be like in February?

Its like knowing what your going to get for Christmas , takes the fun away.

If you knew it was going to be cold and snowy or you were going to get a new car that might be different.

Part of the UK fascination with the weather is generally things are marginal and we dont know until very close to the time , wether its a blizzard or light drizzle.

Keep the 'forcasts' coming. I like models going pear shaped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

No because it would take the fun out of watching the models and the exciting twists and turns of the British weather. It would be so boring knowing what to expect so long in advance.

Posted

Useful for businesses and Government agencies I guess, interesting for us and of possible interest to the general public planing holidays, gardening, outdoor events etc.

But if everyone had that high-accuracy information available 6 months in advance, this place would be pretty quiet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Useful for businesses and Government agencies I guess, interesting for us and of possible interest to the general public planing holidays, gardening, outdoor events etc.

But if everyone had that high-accuracy information available 6 months in advance, this place would be pretty quiet!

Well the MOD thread would be lol!

If a six month winter bartlett was forecast, I dread to think of the suicide rate on Netweather! help.gifblum.gif

Personally I love the not knowing part! As Isolated Frost also says, I enjoy the mesoscale models now, especially since I got netweather extra. Looking for frost last night was fun, especially when the model was pretty accuarate!

Posted

Yes ,absolutely ,the problems it would solve far out way any thing else.

Edited by greybing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Yes, yes, yes! Being a gardener it would make my life so much easier and far more efficient.

I would say yes think of how many lifes could be saved. People would have 6 months then to prepare for a hurricane or a bad storm etc. Also with cold weather the elderly can prepare better as well. It makes me think how selfish some people are who just want it all for 'fun'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

I agree with Jethro, I would love to know whether it will rain every day in the summer here, or just every second day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I would say yes think of how many lifes could be saved. People would have 6 months then to prepare for a hurricane or a bad storm etc. Also with cold weather the elderly can prepare better as well. It makes me think how selfish some people are who just want it all for 'fun'.

This is a hyperthetical conversation.........we are not being selfish for enjoying unpredictability.

Maybe it is selfish of me not wanting to know sports results six months in advance, after all I am stopping people cashing in at the bookies!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

There could be down sides to knowing....what on earth would we all do on a wet Bank Holiday? Events may risk being a washout now but they'd all be cancelled if folk knew in advance, currently at least we can all pretend to be having a good time in the rain, which has got to be better than having nothing to do. Also, imagine trying to book a holiday in this country, it's bad enough that they hike up the prices for the school holidays, just think what would happen if you combine that with guaranteed good weather.

Posted

There could be down sides to knowing....what on earth would we all do on a wet Bank Holiday?

Perhaps the Government could make them a little more flexible and announce them 6 months beforehand, so we only have good weather on every occasion?!