Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot Or Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I'm very intolerant to heat, so are most of my family.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Much of my family would inhabit Mercury if they could - lots of families I know much prefer the heat - I don't mind it, and generally love it (March/April-September), but it's cold gear on in autumn and winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'm very intolerant to heat, so are most of my family.

Then why did you go to Spain? April isn't a cold or even cool time in Southern Europe. If you all hate the warmth so much why didn't you go to Iceland, Norway or even Scotland?

Posted

As a lover of both it's a difficult choice, but I shall plump for cold based on the fact that I've experienced more summer heat in my life than winter cold (both in the UK and abroad),

Did you go to the brit invaded coast, of course that isn't the real Spain, try Sevilla, Murcia, Barcelona, Pampalona for the real Spain although Sevilla is like a desert in summer!

I did the Malaga-Cordoba-Seville triangle last July, and yes it's rather toasty there at that time of year! Well worth the visit though: some lovely old architecture to be seen. I decided on this itinerary based on the winning combination of weather and culture. Sitting on a crowded beach all day and going to obnoxiously-loud clubs playing awful music and full of British lager louts is not my idea of a holiday!

For me, the only thing that ruins the enjoyment of a summer heatwave or a winter snowfall is other people. biggrin.png

Posted

Then why did you go to Spain? April isn't a cold or even cool time in Southern Europe. If you all hate the warmth so much why didn't you go to Iceland, Norway or even Scotland?

The average temperature where I went in April is 13.4c, the temperatures were much above normal, not what I was expecting. And, to be honest, I had no idea how much I hated the heat (not warmth) until I went to Spain.

I wouldn't mind taking a trip to Norway or Iceland in the winter. Two countries with more to offer then Spain has IMO.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In general, the summer option would win out by a fair margin. The only exception would arise if the "hot sunny summer" scenario consisted of persistent high pressure and limited convective activity (I get bored of that after a while) and the "cold snowy winter" scenario consisted of frequent sunshine-and-snow-showers setups, in which case the winter one would edge it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

There use to be a time where I did not like the warm, hot weather of Summer and was always desperate for snow - that was until the last few years where I started to enjoy the warm weather more, and made going out for walks a pleasure.

Having said that, I would probably go for a cold year as longs as it had a mixture of...

> Snowfalls

> Heavy hail/snow showers

> Odd rainfall

> Clear, crisp, frosty sunny days. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The average temperature where I went in April is 13.4c, the temperatures were much above normal, not what I was expecting. And, to be honest, I had no idea how much I hated the heat (not warmth) until I went to Spain.

I wouldn't mind taking a trip to Norway or Iceland in the winter. Two countries with more to offer then Spain has IMO.

Iceland is a great place - highly recommended! Spain too has plenty to offer. Try going to the mountains in the north of the country - wonderfully scenic and much cooler than the rest of Spain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

For all those who bang on about love to have cold and snow all year..its totally overated..its drives you insane after a while...when i lived in the UK i looked forward to winter and the prospect of some decent snowfall and some cold weather..now as we head into the back end of October im dreading the thought of another brutal winter on the Canadian prairies.

Posted

That's your opinion cheeky monkey, but unlike most Brits I don't chicken out after a few weeks of cold weather! blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

To be fair to CM, the way he describes his winters on the Canadian prairies makes December 2010's offering in the British Isles look somewhat tame by comparison. Contemplating some 4-5 months of it, I can see where he is coming from.

I wouldn't say that cold and snow are overrated though, more that even for fans of the stuff you can have too much of a good thing, just as you can with heat, sunshine, drought and/or thunderstorms.

Posted

Snow and cold never lose their novelty for me, absolutely love it..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

0r me, especially in my lousy location, but snow extra special from say 25 Nov to 2nd Jan, Xmas new year period

chart in your avatar looks like 17th Dec 2010? want more like that!

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted

chart in your avatar looks like 17th Dec 2010? want more like that!

You're spot on. cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Have you ever experienced 5 months of nothing but cold and snow??..suddenly spring takes on a whole new meaning.

Posted

No, but I have endured 5 months of nothing but grey skies, drizzle and mist - I know which I'd prefer.

Posted

No, but I have endured 5 months of nothing but grey skies, drizzle and mist - I know which I'd prefer.

Months of grey skies and drizzle is certainly a drag but crucially, it doesn't really interfere with day to day life.

Unlike several months of sub-zero snowy conditions. Quite apart from the general hassle involved with getting around we'd probably be looking at food/fuel shortages after a while and the economy would surely end up in an even more parlous state.

Posted

Months of grey skies and drizzle is certainly a drag but crucially, it doesn't really interfere with day to day life.

Unlike several months of sub-zero snowy conditions. Quite apart from the general hassle involved with getting around we'd probably be looking at food/fuel shortages after a while and the economy would surely end up in an even more parlous state.

The United Kingdom will never experience months of sub-zero snowy conditions, it's a maritime island. If our climate climate was continental, then there would be none of those problems you mention because we'd be well adapted to deal with them. Not sure what point you're trying to make here, a cold winter isn't world war 2 and your post really has no relevance to what I said.

Edited by Aaron

Friday was magnificent in the cotswold, don't think today it would be anywhere as great, this weather is the most tedious, arent bothered about temps as long as its a clear blue sunny day for picturesque views, some weird people actually love dull days like today, not many though :)

Late September/early October was fantastic, perfect summer weather and in the countryside it didnt feel too hot and humid, just right so wouldnt mind that weather most of the year, cold and sunny days are great also though when temps struggle above 0C in mid winter with lots of sunshine and all day frost is just fantastic too. :)

Posted

The United Kingdom will never experience months of sub-zero snowy conditions, it's a maritime island. If our climate climate was continental, then there would be none of those problems you mention because we'd be well adapted to deal with them. Not sure what point you're trying to make here, a cold winter isn't world war 2 and your post really has no relevance to what I said.

Of course the UK won't experience months of sub-zero conditions but you've implied throughout this thread that you'd welcome precisely that. It's a simple point really; prolonged extremely cold snowy conditions are very disruptive.

Posted

You're completely taking my original post out of context. When I replied to Cheeky Monkey I said I would happily have months of cold and snow. If the UK had a climate that had cold and snowy for months, there would be no disruption because we'd be well adapted at coping with such conditions.

Yes snow causes disruption in the UK in some areas, but I can honestly say I've never been late/never made it to work because of the snow, and last December was the first time the buses were ever taken out of service because of snow in Leeds, and that was only because of a 5 inch snowfall during peak rush our which is bound to cause disruption anywhere.. not everywhere is incompetent with snow you know!

Edited by Aaron

Posted

You're completely taking my original post out of context. When I replied to Cheeky Monkey I said I would happily have months of cold and snow. If the UK had a climate that had cold and snowy for months, there would be no disruption because we'd be well adapted at coping with such conditions.

Yes snow causes disruption in the UK in some areas, but I can honestly say I've never been late/never made it to work because of the snow, and last December was the first time the buses were ever taken out of service because of snow in Leeds, and that was only because of a 5 inch snowfall during peak rush our which is bound to cause disruption anywhere.. not everywhere is incompetent with snow you know!

Aaron same story goes for Paris last december it was a simple nightmare by car many were stranded all nights my sis did like roughly 2 miles in 3 hours most of it as lorries are blocking when on a upward road( well even cars) .

Also have never been late for work ( i take the suburbian train) although when it is snowing i leave well in advance waiting on the platform .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I would certainly welcome a climate like siberia in winter, i love heavy disruptive snowfall, i can hand on heart honestly say, having experienced -15 last winter that in order to even start to be affected, it would need to be 10 or 15c lower than that.