Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tornado Damage Reported In Worcestershire

IanM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

I've just taken a call from the BBC apparently there is damage from a suspected tornado around an hour ago around the Redditch area. Has anyone seen or heard anything?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Can't see anything on the radar about an hour ago, but between 1305 and 1325 there was a rather active line of thunderstorms moving through, here are some radar grabs for Redditich area:

post-1052-0-35076100-1320337128_thumb.pn

post-1052-0-92141700-1320337153_thumb.pn

post-1052-0-54943600-1320337170_thumb.pn

Certainly wouldn't rule it out, given the favourable dynamics for tornadoes to occur today (see Netweather severe storm forecast), though could be a straightline wind event as the gust front moves through.

Posted

Thanks Nick - apparently a conservatory a tree or two and a stable roof have relocated themselves. It does sound like a gust rather than a tornado is more likely, but like you say, definite possibility of tornado somewhere today.

Posted

Ian I just checked the local news websites and one of them reports hearing somebody running around frantically shouting

"The Vils are max'd with large cuplets..."

The gent concerned was carrying a video camera screaming "Yes, yes, yes Lightning Timmer strikes again......"

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Are you sure it wasn't a prank caller?

Posted

lol, The Timmer effect, it gets me every time...

I know it wasn't a prank call, because we speak with the BBC quite a lot, so tend to know the secret handshake and everything

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

lol, The Timmer effect, it gets me every time...

I know it wasn't a prank call, because we speak with the BBC quite a lot, so tend to know the secret handshake and everything

Secret handshake :lol:

You'll have to demonstrate that to us one time :p

Posted

Those were the same showers that came through here about 2:30pm. Very gusty winds and the clouds were flying about all over at times and were travelling at a fair rate of knots. Wouldn't be surprised if something had dropped somewhere on its travels...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I am assuming that it was isolated as otherwise I would be suprised that no one saw it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Yes, was in Pershore ,with a rather active storm, some little hail for a moment, and I wondered why there was no Thunder and Lightning, and just about the time I thought that we had a strike of Lightning [Cloud to Cloud ] and a bang of Thunder. Looked to me that there was ample oppurtunity for a funnel at least to develop, certainly was looking for one, plenty of Fractus cloud [scud] around in that storm, and Im not surprised that a Tornado, was formed....... :sorry::air_kiss:

Posted

Birmingham post reporting what others have said, nothing concrete. They still insist it was a 'mini-tornado' - god knows what will happen when a 'maxi' one hits one day.......

THERE were reports that a mini-tornado hit the Midlands yesterday causing damage to roof tiles and fences. People living in Astwood Bank, Redditch reported seeing the tornado between 12noon and 2pm as heavy rain and strong winds battered the area. Despite no official reports, the Met Office confirmed the conditions were conducive to tornadic activity. Forecaster Steven Keats said: “Nothing has been officially confirmed but people have reported seeing a tornado and it is feasible that a small tornado briefly touched down.

"The conditions were conducive, the weather was deeply unstable with a lot of intense showers and a few thunderstorms.†People living in the area posted sightings on social network site Twitter. Dave a mechanic, said he saw a mini-tornado knocking roof tiles and trees over. Another said fence panels had been blown out and branches were broken. The Met Office said heavy rain would hit the Midlands again today, with the worst weather expected during the evening rush hour.

http://www.birmingha.../#ixzz1ckibua5N

It hasn't made it onto the European Severe Weather Database yet:

http://www.essl.org/cgi-bin/eswd/eswd.cgi