Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3rd/4th November 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast Discussion And Reports

kold weather

Posted

A few sferics have kicked off way down off Saint Nazaire and a few more inland across Dijon. Sun is out here in Sussex now and very pleasantly warm - maybe this could add some heat to the potential for today?

sfcshf.curr.1000lst.d2.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The risk has somewhat decreased for here by the looks of it but I won't say anything just yet. Some heavy showers overnight but not what was forecast last night. Wouldn't be surprised if the ruddy rain in the east and the legacy of cloud to the west inhibited a lot activity further west.

Cbs in the distance to the south though and dad who is in Christchurch at the moment has told us there was thunder overnight there. Fingers crossed again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Very heavy rain now and overnight but I never heard any thunder (nor did Hubby). Slight chance of storms today but I wont get my hopes up

Hi, I m very new to your site,but think its brilliant and really informative. I am in SURREY in Englefield Green right on the Surrey/Berkshire border. It rained really hard here most of the night and is still raining at 9.20 am but looking a bit brighter now.We are right at the top of a pretty high hill but reports of flooding are coming through. Many Thanks for a great site.

Edited by helendraw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Sadly those torrential downpours the NAE Predicted first thing never materialised. Perhaps too much cloud from that Eastern rain. :( However there looks to be some showers getting going in the West now. :)

Yep, definitely too much cloud overspill from that frontal wave last night, still managed one decent downpour around 1am...The good news is that frontal wave is pushing north and eastwards now, the low cloud and detrius is starting to break up, and sunshine is starting to filter through. Plenty of convection occuring further south over the west country, so at the moment, things are looking rather good for us

Hi, I m very new to your site,but think its brilliant and really informative. I am in SURREY in Englefield Green right on the Surrey/Berkshire border. It rained really hard here most of the night and is still raining at 9.20 am but looking a bit brighter now.We are right at the top of a pretty high hill but reports of flooding are coming through. Many Thanks for a great site.

Welcome to the forum, always nice to see new faces :) I would imagine that there is a good chance of catching a thundery shower later on today in your area, good luck!

Posted

Showers seem to be gaining intensity as they reach the south coast, heading towards my area. Bridgwater Carnival today. Should be interesting.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Skies brightening up here nicely with pleny of strong Tcu updrafts around.

Thanks for the welcome, shame we didnt have a storm, struggled to stay awake till 3 this morning but not even as much as a rumble. Miss the real cracker shows we used to have. now if we are lucky its one flash and rumble of thunder and thats it lol Maybe we might be luckier later on today.

Posted

Just running the radar, and you can already see what looks like innocuous clumps grow and intensify quite quickly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Id be interested in the South and SW at the moment.

Fair amount of PPN moving north while you can clearly see an airmass moving east.

Looks like its intensifying as its hitting land. So , Exeter / Devon / Somerset / Bristol Etc id be interested in.

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

so much for hoping the rain would miss me, it was torrential all night!! no storms but we must have had all of october's rain saved up for last night!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well it rained well in Newbury overnight with a peak rate of 44mm/hr although it sounded heavier still. We were actually on the extreme western edge of the main band but nevertheless still managed 4 or 5 Thunderclaps. The height of my activity shows up well by re-running the NW radar around 3am time. The air pressure fell to 988.9hpa around this period as well.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Oh I so remember as a kid!! It would rumble round and round all night long. I thought wowser this is like the good olden days then had to pinch myself thinking what the hell it's November!LOL.Yea that rain was scary at points. I was at the window watching it all. The flashing went on for ages as a high based storm was gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. But the thunder wasn't constant so every now and then you would get a bolt with no warning and scare the bejessssssis outta you!! lol.

This is calssic overnight MCS stuff that used to happen quite regularly during our summers, not in November! Very topsy turvy seasons this year, with summer in April and late Sept/early Oct and autumn in summer.

Heard very heavy rain in the night though no thunder.

Netweather storm forecast for today: http://www.netweathe...convective;sess=

Posted

decent train of showers over the south west and now showers are popping up over the south east and in the channel

Posted

Hi guys. Just a quick flick through. Stuck inside classrooms all day so not a chance to read through all the posts to see whats happening today. Would be grateful if anyone can post a quick update as to what potential in the East for today and tonight.

Cheers

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Man I kept seeing the Lightning from the storms you guys had but was so distant, they only missed me by a fraction :( hopefully today will produce lots of showers developing in the channel to my south moving my way so my fingers are crossed :D

Posted

Sferic activity still confined to the Bay of Biscay by the looks of things - is there enough going on in the atmosphere for anything to happen in the UK this afternoon?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I think the radar needs calibrating or something. According to the postcode zoom for my area, i'm under a red to white blob, had a couple of drops that lasted less than 15 seconds, and the sun is out. Doesn't seem right to me! :wacko:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Don't think so, showers are fading quickly as they move further in land by the look of things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Sferic activity still confined to the Bay of Biscay by the looks of things - is there enough going on in the atmosphere for anything to happen in the UK this afternoon?

Just had a quick look at the 'big 3' parameters, and I'd say Somerset/Avon/Dorset are the breeding grounds this afternoon, and if I were north and north east of these areas I'd be happy....decent SBCAPE, Lift & steep Lapse Rates in place, steering winds are SSW, so any showers/storms breaking out to drift slowly NNE

Posted

Nice to see Bristol gets a mention of a place of interest today but to be honest its just light showers here nothing else,Would be nice to see a storm but i think at the moment it looks unlikely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Some slow moving clouds beginning to tower as they move northwards from Bristol towards where I live. Though I have only had a bit of light rain so far as Raidan said above. Not looking too good for storms at the moment. Hopefully things start developing this afternoon - it is feeling pretty humid out there!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I think i'm in the only dry spot of Dorset right now. It's passing me by about quarter of a mile to my West. :rofl:

Edited by Mapantz