Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mild Weather

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Mild is fine but like many of you the constant low cloud is making this an incredibly depressing spell of weather. Low cloud with drizzle makes it feel like the weather has got a cold and is feeling bunged up and stuffy. This feeling gets passed on to you and coupled with the low light levels has made me feel tired and fed up pretty much all week.

In its favour it is keeping the gas bill down and my journeys to/from work are much easier needing only a light jacket and no gloves. We can still open a window in the stuffy office keeping the afternoon headaches down I usually get around sunset this time of year.

If it was sunny then I'd give this top marks weatherwise. I'd prefer it cold and sunny to constant low cloud but at least it isn't cold with low cloud/drizzle - the very worst conditions imaginable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

If we had just endured several days of dull overcast conditions in July i would be so much more depressed than i am now. Maybe its the fact that it gets dark by 4pm now so any gloom is just replaced by darkness so from 4pm onwards you dont really notice cloud cover, unless it rains of course.

But the lack of sunshine is starting to get noticable now, just as the trees have shed the last of their leaves, hence everywhere is looking so bare and lifeless. At this time of year bright sunshine can make such a difference to how everywhere looks.

But i'm satisfied with how mild it is and how comfortable it is to walk around in. But I will welcome cold if it comes from either a brief northerly toppler or a very dry continental source.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Most trees have lost thier leaves here but there are some oaks that are still in full (and green!) leaf. Also, most of the Beeches have lost hardly any of their leaves, due to the balmy conditions. Everything else is bald as is normal for this point in Autumn.

I don't mind the mild weather at the moment, but not if it's dull with it. I agree with Nick that 2011 has been one massive yawn fest weatherwise, and really has put the notion that British weather is 'varied' to the test.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

2011 is not a normal year for the UK given how dull, and also how warm it's been, except summer which has was the coolest for 20 years.. very strange year, hopefully we'll never see a repeat.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

While it does feel comfortable i finding the mild weather very boring and unseasonal. This year as a whole has been a borefest. I love Autumn but i feel its been ruined this year by the set up we are in,i like Autumn to feel seasonal but alas it hasnt been like that this yr. I love the cold but it looks like the coldies will just have to grin and bear this weather for the time being.

Posted

Too right Aaron, it's been down right depressing for a lover of varied weather. Where are the gales? In fact, where have they been (apart from the odd occasion) for the last 3 years?!

Posted

Although weather enthusiasts have a somewhat above-average tendency to favour cold snowy winters, there are some who don't, while there are numerous others who prefer cold snowy winters but also enjoy some "warm" winter weather types to a lesser extent. I belong in that last camp, as I enjoy those (relatively rare) occasions where we get a drag of southerlies bringing warmth accompanied by bright sunshine, or those polar maritime/returning polar maritime based south-westerly types with sunshine and blustery showers for example.

I don't derive any enjoyment from this dull murky stuff that we're getting in the North East but I'm guessing that Cookie's weather is rather brighter as the north-west of Scotland has been one of the brighter regions of the UK recently.

yeah it has been surprised by it if im honest!

but its great seeing some many peoples view on winter, not many people in the milder camp

Posted

yeah it has been surprised by it if im honest!

but its great seeing some many peoples view on winter, not many people in the milder camp

I'm a bit of a coldie, but I would actually take a mild Winter after the last couple. But only if it was stormy. If this Winter continues in the same vein as it is now I'm going to hate it!

Posted

Too right Aaron, it's been down right depressing for a lover of varied weather. Where are the gales? In fact, where have they been (apart from the odd occasion) for the last 3 years?!

Yes I'm a lover of pretty much all weather (even heat to a limited extent) and this year has been pure agony. We've had a few gales here but thunderstorms have been mostly absent and not much rain events :help:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

The Dull dreary rubbish continues. Wheres the sun can I see it please. Hopefully I may see it tomorrow otherwise today mild and grey and more grey and more grey

Posted

The Dull dreary rubbish continues.

God doesn't it just? Now we have fog to add to the pea soup mush that is mid November 2011 :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Best bit of this autumn was the late September heatwave!

Posted

I have to say I could take mild all winter, as I'm not a great lover of cold, however snow is a different matter. Of course I'm in that position where I love snow but don't like the feel of cold. I could therefore be content with 3 days of snow and the rest of the winter being mild.

I have to say I have grown a fondness of mild mornings, they seem to be particularly atmospheric I think, especially when it's dark.

Complete agree SP, don't mind a bit of snow as long as it doesn't hang around too long but I much prefer mild weather in winter overall- I'd much rather be able to go out in the mornings without having to think about wrapping up and enduring the pain of cold feet and hands. Last December there were some ice days that were also rather windy and they were my idea of a nightmare- it was really was quite painful for me to go outside. I too love those dark, mild mornings which seem to have been so common of late.

I really think that heatwave was one of the more memorable weather events of my lifetime- just a few weeks earlier I had been talking to my brother about the 1985 heatwave which happened before I was born and we were amazed that temperatures could get so high in early October, and then just a few weeks later we had an even better spell of weather when we all thought summer was over! 29C on October 1st. I don't think I'll ever forget sitting outside a pub until late in the evening in short sleeves at that time of year- it was incredible!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Agree there- I think that spell will stick out in the memory for quite a while, and also statistically (it set a new October max record for Cleadon). I remember having a few nice afternoon walks as well.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Polmont yesterday -Maximum temperature = 18.5°C on day 10 at time 14:11

Only 1.5c off the Scottish record for November!

Can't see this winter being anything special.

Posted

Depends on your detention of a special winter.. I'll be happy with average, which includes snow, frost and the odd ice day or too thrown in for good measure.. winter doesn't have to be sub-zero for weeks to be a good 'un!

Anyone hoping for a mild winter, take a look outside, what do you see!? I see nothing, because my windows are obscured by fog!!!

Posted

Aaron true this year is strange.Could be the warmest year (average temps min and max. Depends on dec but up to now we are in) in Paris station and also in nearby areas since records,began and 2003, but if you mention that , people just laugh.All this without much of a summer ( well yes in april, may, june and september) But overall a dull year.

Is there any places where you may also have highest average in uk for 2011?

The noticeable event for me was the late september early october heat.Spring was exeptional too temps wise but i think what stays the most for some people is the drought!!!!

Scorcher,on my side i do remember 1985 , it is probably my earliest childhood weather event recall with the winter of this year!!!i was just in my early teen!!

And like Aaron i am a fan of all weather types but the one just now is my least favorite ( after big heatwaves, yes can't stand the big heat !!!)

do miss gales in winters, even if very mild temps , for a change may be this winter........

What we have today is just boring , grey grey grey , nothing and temps a little bit above average!!!!not feeling cold nor warm !!! dull then!.

Edited by jean91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Warm summers Cold Frosty winters

Hi All I'm new to this forum but have been interested in all types of weather since childhood.

I have to say I really like all types of weather except full on heat or very humid hot weather unless we get a good thunderstorm then its worth all the sweat!

As for this mild, dull dank weather where it seems never to get properly light all day, I hate it, I will go round the twist if we get this weather for too much longer. I would prefer wind and rain, or cold crisp polar air, anything but this. I guess I like my weather to be typically seasonal. Oh and here in the East we have had so little rain this year we could now do with making up the shortfall, I am still watering plants in the garden in November (Things that have not established), never been heard of before!!!

Posted

Yes this weather is really grinding me down. I'd rather have 24 hour darkness than this constant half light rubbish!

Still it says more sunshine over the weekend so hopefully can charge up a bit!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

not even seen frost here this autumn, could be a whole autumn without frost, Atlantic due to be in control from 21st Nov, which is worse

Posted

Frost? Not seen one of those since last February I think!

Posted

Aaron true this year is strange.Could be the warmest year (average temps min and max. Depends on dec but up to now we are in) in Paris station and also in nearby areas since records,began and 2003, but if you mention that , people just laugh.All this without much of a summer ( well yes in april, may, june and september) But overall a dull year.

Is there any places where you may also have highest average in uk for 2011?

The noticeable event for me was the late september early october heat.Spring was exeptional too temps wise but i think what stays the most for some people is the drought!!!!

Scorcher,on my side i do remember 1985 , it is probably my earliest childhood weather event recall with the winter of this year!!!i was just in my early teen!!

And like Aaron i am a fan of all weather types but the one just now is my least favorite ( after big heatwaves, yes can't stand the big heat !!!)

do miss gales in winters, even if very mild temps , for a change may be this winter........

What we have today is just boring , grey grey grey , nothing and temps a little bit above average!!!!not feeling cold nor warm !!! dull then!.

2011 will definitely not be the warmest year on record.

Autumn 2011 could be the second warmest on record.. it certainly doesn't feel like it though. Besides late September/early October Autumn has been pretty dull.. here at least, and not very warm, but mild nights.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Feeling much milder here as the sun has finally come out and winds are currently very light. Still some stubborn mist and low cloud to get rid of though.

Posted

It's got on my nerves how yet again all the high pressure and setups that would of brought great thundery set-ups, heatwaves etc continue to happen time and time again in Autumn.

I enjoy the mildness when it comes with sunshine but its been slate grey skies since Monday without a break until today when were finally seeing bits of brightness.