Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mild Weather

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Living on an island surrounded by warmish seas our norm is mild in the winter and cool in the summer... a mediated climate with few extremes. It's what makes this part of the world so habitable compared to the plains of Siberia for example (hot in summer, deathly cold in the winter).

Personally I like a mixture in winter. If the norm was like today has turned out to be - sunny and fairly mild (12c) with the odd cold snap that would suit me. No way I want endless extreme cold as its expensive, dangerous and inconvenient. We do need rain of course and if I could pick my rainy months they would be Oct to March.

The endless low cloud we've had is indeed awful though - but then mild doesn't always equal dull in the same way cold doesn't always equal sunny/clear.

Besides I'm off to Poland for new years so I'm guaranteed snow and cold this year!

I'd like cold similar to what they get in Helsinki, nothing too extreme, the odd thaw or two during winter.

Anyway, when people say mild winter, they usually mean no frost or snow.. above average really.

Oh, by the way, the sun is shining, what is going on here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'd like cold similar to what they get in Helsinki, nothing too extreme, the odd thaw or two during winter.

Anyway, when people say mild winter, they usually mean no frost or snow.. above average really.

Oh, by the way, the sun is shining, what is going on here?

But is no frost and no snow above average? Even in January our average minimum temperatures are above 0c (1.1c across England in fact). Yes snow can fall & lie at those temps - but only just. The average max is 6.6c too - far too warm for snow or frost.

It generally needs to be below average to get frost and especially snow - even in the depths of winter.

Of course when people say 'mild' they mean 10c or more which definitely is above average in the depths of winter.

And here too - clear blue skies! wow what a treat!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Shetland certainly doesn't get mild winters- in fact parts of the Shetland isles had sleety showers around the 20th October earlier this year, and they are always prone to heavy snowfalls in northerly airstreams. The outer Hebrides get mild winters, but Stornoway for example often picks up heavy wet snowfalls in polar maritime airstreams.

Continentality is always a tradeoff- more continentality means more chance of getting hot summers and/or cold winters, but also more chance of getting uncomfortable extremes (which, as Bottesford noted above, is why maritime/temperate climates are so habitable). We all have our own "ideal" middle ground, and mine is on the "continental" side of where the UK lies, but not extortionately so (for instance I recently cited the Bavaria area of Germany as a good candidate for my "best climate in the world").

Even thinking of an "ideal" winter involves tradeoffs- I would ideally prefer a winter of alternating mild and cold spells, with frequent snowfalls in the cold spells, frequent dry sunny weather in the warm spells, and some blustery polar maritime sourced westerlies thrown in for good measure, but one issue there is the solid ice that often arises when we get a milder "blip" in an otherwise cold snowy spell. Thus, ideally, the mild spells would need to be significant enough to thaw all of the snow away before we got the next fall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Shetland certainly doesn't get mild winters- in fact parts of the Shetland isles had sleety showers around the 20th October earlier this year, and they are always prone to heavy snowfalls in northerly airstreams. The outer Hebrides get mild winters, but Stornoway for example often picks up heavy wet snowfalls in polar maritime airstreams.

Continentality is always a tradeoff- more continentality means more chance of getting hot summers and/or cold winters, but also more chance of getting uncomfortable extremes (which, as Bottesford noted above, is why maritime/temperate climates are so habitable). We all have our own "ideal" middle ground, and mine is on the "continental" side of where the UK lies, but not extortionately so (for instance I recently cited the Bavaria area of Germany as a good candidate for my "best climate in the world").

Even thinking of an "ideal" winter involves tradeoffs- I would ideally prefer a winter of alternating mild and cold spells, with frequent snowfalls in the cold spells, frequent dry sunny weather in the warm spells, and some blustery polar maritime sourced westerlies thrown in for good measure, but one issue there is the solid ice that often arises when we get a milder "blip" in an otherwise cold snowy spell. Thus, ideally, the mild spells would need to be significant enough to thaw all of the snow away before we got the next fall.

Perfection! Generally if sunshine is optimized and snowfall is high, I am happy!

Perfect climate would be Zurich, Geneva, Munich or Lyon generally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Isolated Frost, Geneva avg day/night temp in Jan is 1c, 24c in July...I like that! Do bare in mind autumn in gva is weeks upon weeks of grey skies under inversion clouds but you got mountains nearby to go up to gaze at the sun and the huge "fog sea" above the lake and the city.

Posted

Isolated Frost, Geneva avg day/night temp in Jan is 1c, 24c in July...I like that! Do bare in mind autumn in gva is weeks upon weeks of grey skies under inversion clouds but you got mountains nearby to go up to gaze at the sun and the huge "fog sea" above the lake and the city.

Yep indeed mate; lovely place. But crystal clear high pressure and the cosmopolitan beauty of Geneva beats any grey november day haha!

Posted

Glad you enjoyed my home town :drinks:

Lucky you! And then you get to live in northern england's beauty Cheshire, the county us northerners decided would be as wealthy as the home counties haha! :p

Posted

I found this recently and found it rather interesting, expecially for a relative novice like me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/15744883

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I found this recently and found it rather interesting, expecially for a relative novice like me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...atures/15744883

Yeah that was a good little report that. Def good for anyone who wonders why they haven't needed that much heating yet!

Posted

Surprisingly clear day in the end here...and the sun felt quite warm and pleasant. I don't mind mild weather at this time of year if it brings sunshine...it's the murk that gets on my nerves.

I see Europe to the east of us has cooled off a bit..and a finger of cooler and drier air seems to be working it's way in from the south east. None of those points are really that significant but a nice reminder that there is some kind of Autumn out there....somewhere!

Hopefully the clouds will stay away tonight, no chance of a crisp start which would be perfect at this time of year but a fresh and bright start would do compared to some of the mornings we've had.

Edit: Nice piece by Peter Gibbs too...he did something similar explaining the pattern during last year's cold spell.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Hurray some sun Yesterday but signs the cloud will return today and stick around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

The thing about mild weather at this time of year that frustrates me is this. I have been told that grass grows when the temp is 10 or above. At the moment the grass is not only growing each day but it is still growing most nights. I have said at least twice so far, after cutting the lawns, that will be it for a while.

If this continues I will be cutting them throughout the winter. Cutting them in the summer with glass of beer in hand is most enjoyable. At this time of year it should be beer in hand, looking out of the window at short grass that isn't growing. :drinks:

Posted

Mild spell ended to day with a max of 6.5C. Cloudy of course but a dry day so far.

Posted

Indeed, certainly not as mild as before...but all that does is narrow the temperature range from days to night even further.

And the gloom returned today.

I really did think during August that we may be in for a real wind and gales Autumn this year. Don't get me wrong, a bit of mild weather with sunshine is very pleasant. But the weeds keep growing, the gloom keeps returning and the bluebottles just won't buzz off!

Edited by Gord

Posted

well in Paris today remimded us that we were well in mid november !!!!!with only 5c for the highest with grey skies all day!!!scarfs were out on ( some)people so were gloves!!!!!did not see them for a long time !!!!!nice to see that again.

Nationnaly from the first to the 15th november it is the mildest 15 days ever in november recorded. Some infos in french on méteo France site : http://france.meteof...cument_id=26061

Although today did make the average drop , but tomorrow we are on for mild temps and grey skies again for some days, but not on the scale seen earlier this month ( About 3c 4c max above in Paris)

This long mild spell of weather comes with no rain and in some areas in France it is becoming really worrying , especially if this coming winter goes on dry ,then ,it will be catastrophic in places.Only summer brought decent rain with below average temps thanks to that!!!!

Posted

Its amazing really that people in the model thread are complaining about the lack of cold showing in the charts yet in NW Scotland, its been quite cold at night and tonight's no exception thus far, down to 0C in some places apparently yet the temperature differences in the Western Isles is amazing with 0C in Stornoway and 9C in the islands just slightly further south! I wonder what is causing that, a "cold fohn" affect perhaps?

Posted

Temp still 6.4c so mild again. Average is around 3.9c it will probably rise during the night as the front moves north so i wouldn't be surprised that by tomorrow morning it will make it another mild day.

Posted

Its amazing really that people in the model thread are complaining about the lack of cold showing in the charts yet in NW Scotland, its been quite cold at night and tonight's no exception thus far, down to 0C in some places apparently yet the temperature differences in the Western Isles is amazing with 0C in Stornoway and 9C in the islands just slightly further south! I wonder what is causing that, a "cold fohn" affect perhaps?

its funny dosent feel cold up here in stornoway tonight, even though it is :lol:

Posted

It might not be 'cold' according to the averages but it ain't stopping people going on about how cold it is out! I've been mostly fine so far - still no winter coat nor the hat yet. Gloves were on for cycling today but only just as it meant hot hands by the end!

Could do with it warming up or cooling off as 7-9c is an awkward temperature range for cycling. Feels chilly in the light jacket and you get cold ears but far too warm in the big coat and hat especially on longer rides.

Posted

Feels cooler today, probably the fog and low cloud has helped to surpress max temps here. I think once/if the cold does really set in though its going to feel much colder than it is given how steady the temps have been overall since August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Feels cooler today, probably the fog and low cloud has helped to surpress max temps here. I think once/if the cold does really set in though its going to feel much colder than it is given how steady the temps have been overall since August.

Felt very cold today but still 8/9c. To me felt like it was freezing !

As you say such a long run of mild and even warm weather (early october etc) last few months.

Any ice day is going to be a shock to the system

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

Yesterday felt really cold (had my heating on properly for the first time) until it warmed up overnight. Feeling mild again now the early morning temp has risen to 10C. Long may the mild continue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

On the topic of mild weather, it's good to see that there are certain members who aren't afraid to express a preference for mild weather in the winter half-year- even though I don't personally share it.

I may have a strong dislike for the "it is selfish to enjoy cold and snow because of the inconvenience and disruption etc" line, but in fairness I'd be similarly uneasy about, say, someone saying, "it is selfish to enjoy snowless winters because the Scottish ski resorts might go out of business". What's important is that the forum accommodates a range of weather preferences so that we get some much-needed balance, which at times is sadly lacking over at the Model Output Discussion. Thus a vote of support for the dissenting "mild lovers" out there.