Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

American Airlines File For Chapter 11

IanM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

Just an FYI at this stage, but AA have filed for Chapter 11 - which is protection from creditors - while they attempt to shed costs.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/11/29/american-airlines-parent-files-for-bankruptcy/

It needs watching, but no real information yet.

Ian

Posted

Chapter 11 - which is protection from creditors - while they attempt to shed costs.

and they've got lots of costs to shed! Theyve managed to lose money in 14 out of the last 16 financial quarters.

It'll be interesting to see what direction they'll take the airline to return it to profitability.

Posted

Oh no I hope this is not result of the absolute hammering we've given them recently. I blame Tom.

Then again it could be lewisosd as he pulled his return flight, maybe that was the straw that broke the camel's back. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Oh no I hope this is not result of the absolute hammering we've given them recently. I blame Tom.

Then again it could be lewisosd as he pulled his return flight, maybe that was the straw that broke the camel's back. :rofl:

And i dont think that I mentioned the "I've been a pilot too long to know this isnt safe enough to take off!" incident , so I won't.

Posted

And i dont think that I mentioned the "I've been a pilot too long to know this isnt safe enough to take off!" incident , so I won't.

lol! They said on five live news that they filed for bankruptcy protection "to restructure and reduce flight schedules". Basically they can't manage fuel prices and sell enough tickets!

What's the betting BA tickets will sky rocket now?!

Edited by lewisosd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

It's actually the parent company that's filed for Chapter 11, given that AA put an order in for 460 new planes in July I can see the reason for panic in some quarters although would assume there's still some $ in the bank.

I'd also be surprised if there wasn't some kind of rescue package put into place as they have some major hubs in Chicago, Dallas etc which if AA went bust would be badly affected economically.

Doshwise those who have bought flights with a credit card should be covered if AA go bust and can't fly you out....

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

so regarding booking flights what should I do?

erm !

I find it hard to think the American Eagle will be allowed to have its wings clipped. However.

I take it you will travel by train to London again.?

tom

Posted

My flights from Manchester links up with heathrow flight and the total at the moment is £561 both BA flights so you get train direct to Manchester Airport

Worth considering

Tom

Posted

erm !

I find it hard to think the American Eagle will be allowed to have its wings clipped. However.

tom

Just remember though Tom, I was reminded by the new TV series Pan Am. Could you have imagined a world where you could mention Pan Am & TWA & young uns wouldn't have a clue what you were on about?

Posted

Just remember though Tom, I was reminded by the new TV series Pan Am. Could you have imagined a world where you could mention Pan Am & TWA & young uns wouldn't have a clue what you were on about?

point taken

Not to mention Braniff or Laker

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

Chapter 11 basically means the company can still operate normally without paying it's debts (for the short term) and given that AA have confirmed in the news they are committed to the new fleet I would take it as a sign that they have a cash flow problem, which is why they need to need re organise and cut costs.

Flights should continue but If anything prices may go up more to a BA level and they'll cut the less profitable routes. The problem that made me take note was the amount of staff attrition which suggests a managerial issue so I don't think there is a real need to worry about our flights to the US next year

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Chapter 11 basically means the company can still operate normally without paying it's debts (for the short term) and given that AA have confirmed in the news they are committed to the new fleet I would take it as a sign that they have a cash flow problem, which is why they need to need re organise and cut costs.

Flights should continue but If anything prices may go up more to a BA level and they'll cut the less profitable routes. The problem that made me take note was the amount of staff attrition which suggests a managerial issue so I don't think there is a real need to worry about our flights to the US next year

erm !

tom

Im still mulling over ideas at the moment.

My flights from Manchester links up with heathrow flight and the total at the moment is £561 both BA flights so you get train direct to Manchester Airport

Worth considering

Tom

defiantly might be the way forward.

Posted

Im still mulling over ideas at the moment.

defiantly might be the way forward.

was only something to think about - the benefits are that both flights are BA so bags checked in at Manchester and you dont see them until Dallas and similar for the return trip

Tom

Posted

was only something to think about - the benefits are that both flights are BA so bags checked in at Manchester and you dont see them until Dallas and similar for the return trip

Tom

which one are you on?

Posted

which one are you on?

Sorry old chap was busy

my flight from Manchester leaves about 8.15

which one are you on?

which one are you on?

These are outbound flights

08:15 19 May

09:25 19 May