First Cold Spell of 2011/2012 Season: Review  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Would You Rate the Cold Spell for Your Location out of 10

2. 2. Did You See your First Snowfall of 2011

3. 3. Did You Have any Snowfall(s)

4. 4. Did You Have any Lying Snow

5. 5. What Was Your Maximum Snow Depth in the Cold Spell

Posted

I'd give it a local average of 4/10, we've had much worse around these parts of the Pennines but I decided to notch it up a grade due to the sheer inconvenience the ice (and lack of gritters) played out in/around the Buxton area. Reports of cars veering off roads, drivers abandoning vehicles just a handful of miles away from me goes to show the contrast the snowline was at.

We barely scraped 2-3cm at 210m asl above the village, but Buxton reported 6cm of lying snow with higher totals on the trunk roads surrounding the town. Not a memorable event, but important nonetheless in getting the council & locallers prepared for later winter months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I'd give it a 4/10 here- I didn't expect much and we got some wintry flurries throughout Sunday evening and night, and Monday night. Temperatures were around 3-4c/1c for the spell so slightly below average.

Edited by Isolated Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

3/10 for Cleadon- we had some sleety showers overnight Sunday/Monday with temperatures of around 2C, but other precipitation fell as rain with temperatures around 3C, and as often happens, not many showers made it as far as here. The lowest minimum was 1.1C so not cold enough for lying snow at any point. However, the abundant sunshine has prevented it from being a lower score.

Posted

As a cold spell I would give it no more then three out of ten(perhaps I was ruined by last December) I saw maybe two flakes of snow hit the windsceen on Sunday evening so not a lot too shout about,however if you like windchill and I certainly do not then fine but wind and cold without heavy snow is not for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

I'd give it a local average of 4/10, we've had much worse around these parts of the Pennines but I decided to notch it up a grade due to the sheer inconvenience the ice (and lack of gritters) played out in/around the Buxton area. Reports of cars veering off roads, drivers abandoning vehicles just a handful of miles away from me goes to show the contrast the snowline was at.

We barely scraped 2-3cm at 210m asl above the village, but Buxton reported 6cm of lying snow with higher totals on the trunk roads surrounding the town. Not a memorable event, but important nonetheless in getting the council & locallers prepared for later winter months.

According to Buxton weather Site they actually recorded 10cm of level snow which is pretty good going really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

1/10 for this so called cold spell, been cooler of late and chilly with 3 frosts in past week. That wind today felt bloody freeezzingggg! BRR

Posted

Bump!!

Okay so a tricky start tomorrow for West Yorkshire and NW England

850s undercutting the precipitation between 3-6 am turning increasingly to snow, especially to high ground.

* 850s -4

850.png

* Dew point 0/-1

dewpoint.png

* Precipitation - Moderate/heavy

ppn.png

* Precipitation type- Rapidly turning to snow

ppntype.png

Whether there will be any snowfall accumulations remains to be seen, several hours of snowfall likely leading to perhaps a couple of cm's, especially but not exclusively to high ground.

Edited by Cheese Rice