First Cold Spell of 2011/2012 Season: Review  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Would You Rate the Cold Spell for Your Location out of 10

2. 2. Did You See your First Snowfall of 2011

3. 3. Did You Have any Snowfall(s)

4. 4. Did You Have any Lying Snow

5. 5. What Was Your Maximum Snow Depth in the Cold Spell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Only had one ground frost. That was a grass frost too, dunno if it counts!

ZERO air frosts. :(

To be fair it doesnt suprise me with your location, near the coast and on low ground.

Posted

3.9c now and falling

Huh!! I am very, very jealous, it is still 6C here and falling too, too slowly. I have yet to see a frost this winter. Still I suppose winter only officially began today. Time yet for fun and games but not this month for me I think. :cray:

Good luck for everyone in the north though, looking good for some for some snow. Can't help but think back to last year though. *sigh*

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I'm surprised as well. We saw a widespread air frost on the 5th Nov and 6th Nov - much of N England was affected. Mind its now 3 and a half weeks since we even got close to a ground frost.

Ground frost is currently forming and we should see an air frost in the early hours but it will be temporary thanks to cloud rolling in by dawn. Tomorrow looks a chilly affair with cloud moving into the cold air , maxima will struggle to get above 5 degrees until late in the day - a raw day ahead.

Im confident we will get one early next week, if its showing 1c on the MO widely we should be below freezing soon after midnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

To be fair it doesnt suprise me with your location, near the coast and on low ground.

50m asl, 10 miles from the coast. Similar proximity to Isolated Frost and he got a -3C!

No fair :p

Posted

This thread has currently turned into a frost watch for those in England. I should let you know that there's some pretty cold temperatures in Scotland right now with Altnaharra below -3C. How Long can it Go?

Also there has been some notable snowfalls in the Northern Isles and Aviemore area aswell. Shetland should hold onto this cold spell from now until the end of next week elsewhere it will be changeable. Beyond Saturday Night, Snow is possible anywhere north of Manchester and I'm starting to feel confident of some accumilations. Monday also looks pretty decent for much of the UK with the -5C line right down towards the southern areas of England whereas in the Northern Isles the -10C line would have arrived. Also beyond Monday there may be a few more chances for cold and snow (particulary on Wednesday). Pretty cold here at 1C.

Posted

Huh!! I am very, very jealous, it is still 6C here and falling too, too slowly. I have yet to see a frost this winter. Still I suppose winter only officially began today. Time yet for fun and games but not this month for me I think. :cray:

Good luck for everyone in the north though, looking good for some for some snow. Can't help but think back to last year though. *sigh*

Be patient, your location will bare the brunt of a potent easterly in late jan/feb, mark my words.

Posted

was stuck around 5c for a while,only in the last hour its started to fall 3.7c now :-)

Posted

Be patient, your location will bare the brunt of a potent easterly in late jan/feb, mark my words.

Easterlies don't interest me. Make that a battleground scenario with -10C uppers with moist air moving up from the South. That might interest me :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Had 3 air frosts here in Headington,Oxford so far this season, (October 15th) (November 23rd) (November 28th).

Posted

50m asl, 10 miles from the coast. Similar proximity to Isolated Frost and he got a -3C!

No fair :p

Hes still far more sheltered than you are, dont forget we have had southerlys, south westerlys or westerlys for most of the autumn.

Posted

Hes still far more sheltered than you are, dont forget we have had southerlys, south westerlys or westerlys for most of the autumn.

True, but if the wind was South West, the Welsh hills do my location a hell of good. Can't remember what direction it was blowing on the 7th.

Posted

Had 3 air frosts here in Headington,Oxford so far this season, (October 15th) (November 23rd) (November 28th).

You any where near Benson by any chance? guaranteed a frost there even when everone alse is sweltering.

Posted

I feel like a right saddo, sitting here refreshing every few minutes haha! :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

1535: 5.9c

1704: 3.4c

1725: 2.9c

1741: 2.5c

1803: 2.2c

1825: 1.6c

1913: 1.0c

1934: 0.9c

2000: 1.9c

2054: 0.7c

2114: 0.4c

2152 (now): 0.2c

Of course the dramatic rise was a bit weird, but occurs rather regularly it seems... air frost number 2 just a few mins away i'd imagine.

Posted

Cloud has finally cleared! Down to 4.7C very quickly

Posted

Had to de-ice the car about an hour ago,managed to convince myself that it was a good thing. :lol:

Nice to see some seasonal weather around on the first day of winter,and more to come by the looks of it. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

If i get one snow shower before the New Year i'll be happy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Had to de-ice the car about an hour ago,managed to convince myself that it was a good thing. :lol:

Nice to see some seasonal weather around on the first day of winter,and more to come by the looks of it. :)

Yep my old man had to do the very same... he's peeved and i'm telling him it's right, IT'S RIGHT!

Posted

You any where near Benson by any chance? guaranteed a frost there even when everone alse is sweltering.

Its 15 miles south from where i am roughly, when we got -2c last week they had like -4c i think. They usually fall 3/4c lower than us when its a cold frosty clear night.

Edited by Mark Neal Ballooning

Posted

Remember that you still have 8-9 hours left to get your mininum.

Should be almost guaranteed an air frost. Come on!

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Mark Neal., December 1, 2011 - repeated the post.
Hidden by Mark Neal., December 1, 2011 - repeated the post.

Its 15 miles south from where i am roughly, when we got 0c last week they had -2c, they usually fall 3/4c lower than us when its cold.