Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Given the models are suggesting enough cold air digs down into the Northern parts of England overall this thread will be opened to allow people to discuss the snow chances for people in the north of England, especially in the NW.

Models suggests showers will keep pumping in and upper temps will slowly drops away. Conditions are marginal but over higher ground there is a good chance of snow falling starting from today.

So people post your comments and discussion here, hopefully we will get another cold shot from the north by Friday as a LP leaves to our east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Yey hello everybody looking good for snow now for even us in the east too! :D

Latest Metoffice Forecast :

Tonight:

A cold night with a widespread frost and some icy patches. The showers will fall as sleet or snow, giving a dusting by the end of the night.

Minimum temperature -1 °C.

Monday:

A cold and frosty start but with some morning sunshine. It will feel very cold with a biting wind and further sleet or snow showers are likely during the day. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Updated: 0434 on Sun 4 Dec 2011

Yes Please a nice covering will do me fine! :)

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Already had heavy wet snow here in Hexham this morning. Up at the race course +-200m starting to turn white. Expecting a slight covering this evening if the showers persist.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Im hoping for a bit of snow anytime from 15.00. Probably won't stick but never the less, you never know and it's better that the swlies weve been used too. It would be good to hear the thoughts from BackTrack and the other regs from down here.

Radar already showing snow in the pennine and lakeland fells.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Hopefully some of the white stuff will turn up here later today/tonight. Will be keeping a close eye on the radar http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ , its going to be an interesting week ahead. And a nice start to Winter proper.

Edited by snowrob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Already had some sleety rain this morning - very nice to see the showers making it across the Pennines still! By this evening I'd hope to see some flurries :)

Did anyone else see Edinburgh Zoo on the news this morning? It looked like they had quite a bit! I wonder if Shap has got any snow yet, they're quite high up. Such a shame I couldn't be over there this weekend!

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Hope to get a few snow flakes mixed in with the heavier stuff today

Posted

3.1c here looking good for later! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

when are the -5 uppers ment to be above us?

Posted

when are the -5 uppers ment to be above us?

About 9pm, but they'll be around -4 from lunchtime, so very marginal conditions all day. Edinburgh Zoo got snow last night with -4 uppers, and that is at just 100m asl.

Posted

Good luck to you all in the North today :good:

I can't wait to get that excited feeling that only the prospect of snow can bring :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I am at my nates house near Bishop Aukland and what started as rain turned to sleet and thenb heavy snow shower and still snowing - this is my first official snow count of the 11/12 winter season!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Northern England seems to be the place to be for weather this year!....A plethora of storms this year as other parts of the UK drew a blank, and the first snowfalls of the winter expected over the next couple of days...Right that's it! I'm moving up north, anyone got a number for Pickfords? ...lol

Posted

Sleety at first then huge flakes then back to sleet in sunderland,currently 3 degrees.

Posted

Northern England seems to be the place to be for weather this year!....A plethora of storms this year as other parts of the UK drew a blank, and the first snowfalls of the winter expected over the next couple of days...Right that's it! I'm moving up north, anyone got a number for Pickfords? ...lol

Make sure you dont move to the north west or every snow event will be marginal

Posted

Hail in recent heavy shower, although that could happen in the summer if the showers are heavy, but still a good sign. I love North Westerly's we are in such a favoured spot. High ground, just on the right side of the pennines. Not too far for the showers to travel after being livened up by the Irish Sea. Already showers have merged into longer spells and if temps do drop we may see a bit of sleetyness in the showers later.

Posted

Great to see that there is now a N England Cold Spell Discussion. Here in my part of Scotland it's a bit quiet with the last snowfall at midnight. I'm hoping for something more interesting later with colder uppers hence the met office warning.

I'd like to know how many of you here haven't had a snowfall this year or how little snowfalls and if you have or perhaps experience snow from this cold spell.

Posted

Great to see that there is now a N England Cold Spell Discussion. Here in my part of Scotland it's a bit quiet with the last snowfall at midnight. I'm hoping for something more interesting later with colder uppers hence the met office warning.

I'd like to know how many of you here haven't had a snowfall this year or how little snowfalls and if you have or perhaps experience snow from this cold spell.

I've had very little snow this year - I think the best fall of 2011 was an inch in January. A little sleety rain fell this morning, but hopefully there'll be some snow flurries tonight.

Posted

Very Icy Rain here; im sure I have spotted some tiny little snowflakes! :p

Posted

Are the temps ment to drop? im guessing its about 5c where i am

Posted

I would imagine that a quite a few here would be signing themselves out of the Not Snowed Club. Looks like December will finally deliver that well overdue snow. Personally I'll be glad that a few more members probably not have a snowless year. Here's to a cold and snowy winter. 3 snowfall days already here this month and that's the 21st snowday of the year! I'm just waiting for my lying snow now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

moderate wet snow in Consett this morning gave a temporary covering, everything above about 1000' is white out and some very black clouds sat over the West Durham moors, however DPs and Temps need to drop a fair bit yet IMO to get snow to the low lying areas.

Reports that the A686 and A689 are now very difficult around the Durham/Cumbria border