Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland - Regional Discussion

Cookie

Posted

Snowing now in Carryduff as well, not really sticking though.

Think this is out lot until Thursday night which looks very interesting at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

heavy sleet here for the last 40 minutes. If it was snow we might've had a good covering. I'm sure the Belfast hills will have a good covering now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

AWT, from Thursday into Friday we are looking at a similar spell of pM air with another bite at the snow cherry and things still subject to slight upgrades (or indeed downgrades) it's quite exciting. The North and NE of Scotland will see the colder air for longer with a smaller window of opportunity for Western areas programmed from the models atm.

Posted

What's meant to happen on Thursday/Friday and where should see this. We've got 6cm of snow here but it's starting to melt with milder temps.

Have been thinking this myself. Nothing in the forecasts. All i can see is rain. Would appreciate someone explaining what's going to happen?

Posted

Enjoy it folks. Not so much as a flake of sleet even fell in Dublin these last 2 days...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Hail and wet snow here all evening but not really sticking apart from some of the heavier hail showers

Looks like Thursday night and Friday will be another interesting one for anyone in the north. More northerly than this spell so the snow level will probably be a bit lower. Seems to be around 300m here today for proper lying snow

gfs-1-78_krm2.png

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Enjoy it folks. Not so much as a flake of sleet even fell in Dublin these last 2 days...

NW winds are usually crap for this part of the country, i always think pm air usually just suits Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Posted

AWT, from Thursday into Friday we are looking at a similar spell of pM air with another bite at the snow cherry and things still subject to slight upgrades (or indeed downgrades) it's quite exciting. The North and NE of Scotland will see the colder air for longer with a smaller window of opportunity for Western areas programmed from the models atm.

Thanks for that Watcher. So there's a slight chance of something happening. As i said last week a set up like this comes down to now casting. I'm sure there was people on here that wasn't expecting snow that got it and i also said that Pomeroy would see the first snow(pure guess lol) and that whole area ended up getting the most snow! Spoke to a lady at work today who works in Pomeroy and she said conditions were very tricky. Cars also past me on the road to Cookstown this morning with at least 5 cms on them! There was barely 5cms on the Glenshane so obviously it was the luck of the draw on what areas got snow. Very marginal to say the least! We have had everything here in Derry the past few days...rain, sleet, hail, snow and Thunder & Lightning! Very interesting weather! What i would do for something on par with last winter again!

Posted

Well a touch more snow here again last night and it stuck to the cars and added to the ground cover as well, not a lot but good to see non the less.

As you say Ronan its is all very marginal as to whether you are lucky or not, I quite like (selfish I know) North Westerlies and Northerlies as I tend to do well out of them.

So eyes forward until Thursday night then, it could be fun and games especially with the wind a factor this time as well.

I get the feeling that we will see quite a few PM incursions for the rest of December, perhaps something a bit more interesting for the East and South East for the rest of Ireland for January....

Posted

New warnings out from metoffice for alot of the country for wind and rain/snow-

Winds will increase during Thursday afternoon and evening. The public should be aware that winds are likely to becoming strong enough to cause some local disruption to travel services, and possibly some structural damage to buildings. On Friday morning winds will tend to ease from the west.

Heavy rain and hill snow are additional hazards that will accompany the strengthening winds. There is also a low risk of coastal flooding on North Sea coasts during Friday

Posted

Ou just beat me to it Jello! Could be very interesting! Hopefully the warnings get upgraded closer to the time!

Met Eireanne have updated their outlook forecast and are say that there will be significant snow on Saturday night!

Posted

Hmmm Thursday night into Friday could be interesting for Snow - the weather on NI Newsline and I quote potential for significant snow Thursday night into Friday, I believe I may have predicted this on Sunday!!(If it comes off its a pure fluke on my part)

Edited by Pomeroysnow

Posted

Potential for a serious storm on Thursday has suddenly showed up on the models today

gfs-0-51-3h_ttw1.png

Potential for blizzards on higher ground and across Scotland as well

Posted

This next system on Thursday/Friday will provide more snow than the last. The air is colder and will have more of a northerly component which will help produce bigger showers. Also the wind is stronger which will drive them further inland.

A chance of some frontal snowfall as well as the Atlantic pushes back in over the weekend.

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted

The storm is even more intense on the 18Z tonight, hurricane force gusts on the north coast. I'd definitely be keeping an eye on this instead of the snow potential for the next couple of days for anyone living in the north!

Posted

That storm gets worse and worse on the output. Parts of the north and east coasts will take a battering. Hope it doesn't deepen anymore.

Great minds Harps,,