Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Relatively calm but still the odd breeze, no thick cloud for a good few hours at the least looking at the yr.no sat animation and even the thinner Pm scatter clouds should be eaten by the pennines. -0.1c now, so it's the first sub 9pm air frost since... January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Doesn't sound too bad from the metoffice imo?

This Evening and Tonight:

Dry with largely clear skies this evening, allowing temperatures to rapidly fall. A widespread frost will occur. Showers will arrive from the west, falling as snow, chiefly across the Pennines. Minimum temperature -5 °C.

Saturday:

Scattered light snow showers across the region at first, leading to a risk of ice on untreated surfaces. Then most places will become dry, while remaining cloudy. Cold. Maximum temperature 5 °C.

Updated: 1526 on Fri 9 Dec 2011

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Not much action in here this evening...

We had some wet snow this afternoon but nothing settled.

Cold night ahead more so in the NE thanks to lighter winds and less cloud.

Here in Cumbria further wintry showers look like delivering potential low level snowfalls by dawn - probably only settling above 200m with flakes swirling in the sky down to 100m giving perhaps a very temporary sporadic cover.

Tomorrow now looks a bit of a cloud fest for the Lake District with early wintry showers and a gusty westerly wind - not the crisp sunny start to the day I was hoping for. Still looking forward to walking in the snowy fells.

Looking further ahead - lots more snow for higher ground this is turning into a notably snowy period for our higher fells after an autumn starved of the white stuff. Wet snow at low levels however, doesn't do it for me.. nothing more annoying than temps of 2-3 degrees and a wet snow shower - still its all good for higher ground and in this regard I'd rather have the current conditions than a balmy southwesterly with its associated fog drip, low cloud, mist and murk and no snow for the fells.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Temp 0.1c

Wind Chill -2.6c

Dew Point -4.5c

Heavy snow showers on and off most of the day. Turning heavy now in a N/W wind.

A covering of around 4 cm atm.

Anyone traveling above 250m needs to take care.

Posted

Down to 0.4c here now would love some snow before Christmas or Christmas eve/Christmas Day :)

Posted

Now -0.1c so officially an air frost! :D

Looks a decent start to winter for Lake District Ski club, best conditions in England. Pics show how severe the drifting has been.

Hopefully better season than last year for N England.

http://www.facebook.com/...i-Club/257241564287437#!/photo.php?fbid=323324541012472&set=a.323324454345814.89254.257241564287437&type=1&theater

Mark

Edited by Teesdale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny days, thunder and of course lots of snow.

Just woke up to find it's snowing up here in the Alnwick area, settling too and i live right near the coast.

Posted

Looks to be heading slowly south,good to see its snowing near the coast. :)

Just had a shower of......rain!

Outrageous :doh: :lol:

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The last few GFS runs hinted at the issue that the models grossly underestimated the pool of warmer air associated with today's trough feature, which is why we should try not to get too excited over marginal snow events associated with such troughs until they're within about T+36. I know it's hard, and I've been guilty over the years, mostly during the early to mid noughties before repeated experiences of letdowns taught me to err more on the side of "holding fire", but even nowadays I occasionally get over-excited about something that ends up underwhelming (like last year's easterly which left Norwich in the middle of a dry zone for 3 days between lines of heavy thundery snow showers).

Last night got down to -1.9C at Cleadon at 3am, but it was already up to 4.8C and raining by 10:30am. I expected this based on yesterday's GFS runs but previous days' runs didn't suggest that the daytime maximum would get anywhere near 5C.

Posted

Dropped down to -2.8º here last night and woke up to just a dusting of snow in the village, but as we headed over Orton Scar, there was a decent complete covering up there making it feel VERY festive at the Christmas Farmer's Market.

Posted

18Z is very worrying for our region - over 100mph gusts widespread, cumbria and high ground in NE particularly vulnerable to serious damage I would have thought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

18Z is very worrying for our region - over 100mph gusts widespread, cumbria and high ground in NE particularly vulnerable to serious damage I would have thought.

I'll bet you £50 it won't verify :)

Posted

I'll bet you £50 it won't verify :)

I'm guessing that even if it does, much of the NE inland would escape the absolute worst, especially areas shielded by buildings.

Posted

Dropped down to -2.8º here last night and woke up to just a dusting of snow in the village, but as we headed over Orton Scar, there was a decent complete covering up there making it feel VERY festive at the Christmas Farmer's Market.

Yes we had a very surprise dusting yesterday morning - about 2cms of snow making for a very festive scene. The trough feature must have pepped up as it hit the shap fells and eastern fells. I did a very tough walk between langdale and wythburn yesterday over high raise - the track of the trough feature was very telling. There was no snow cover in the Great Langdale valley and only limited fresh snow at 200m. However, in the wythburn valley there were still snow covered fields by 3.30pm in the afternoon.

December so far has delivered 2 mornings with snow cover not bad given the syoptics. Next weekend is showing potential if those cold northerlies can dig in properly - but its a long way off.

Posted

6z would cause widespread damage to the north, and storm surges across the coasts of both North and Irish seas.

A distinctly average, mobile and progressive outlook... Some mild and some cool. Wet and windy for the area sums up the next 8 days at least.

Posted

6z would cause widespread damage to the north, and storm surges across the coasts of both North and Irish seas.

A distinctly average, mobile and progressive outlook... Some mild and some cool. Wet and windy for the area sums up the next 8 days at least.

Worse for the NW? I'm thinking that, whilst very bad, much of the NE would have less damaging gusts than the NW or higher areas of the NE... in particular where given some protection by other buildings/houses.

Posted

Nick- the low seems to strengthen even into the NE and especially in the north sea with massive gusts from the N/NW... I'd expect due to the built-up areas of Tyne/Wear and Tees-side that more damage will be caused in the NE due to this and news coverage will focus more on the NE, but nothing is set in stone yet as it's a good 4-6 days away.

It's all due to a prominence of Pm air giving arctic splurges into the N Atlantic from Canadian Arctic, this is fuelling a large temperature gradient, more substantial than recent years, and this is fuelling deep and potent lows. The s-tropical ridge is south and there is now a lack of blocking in europe... This means the lows can move right into the UK. This pattern will be persistent until signs of stratospheric warming in January.

I expect polar maritime air to flood in throughout December, but with tropical maritime air making a larger influence as the s-tropical ridge grips into Iberia and and we begin to see signs of a typical pattern seeing the gradient nearer newfoundland and lows tracking to the north of the UK.

Stormy, mobile and mixed.

Posted

3.9c now, sat images indicate broken cloud and then clear skies tonight, should dip towards 1-2c in cities/towns and around freezing in more rural areas. Warm sector should only give us 1-2c uppers max tomorrow night before more cool Pm air so it seems nothing distinctly mild until Thursday/Fri morning and even then it's rather brief with the low crashing through and introducing some more cooler air from the nw.

Posted

Here are the 850's according to the 12z GFS in the next week for Newcastle (the average is around -1/-2c for this time of year):

Mon midnight: -1c

Mon 6am: -2c

Mon 12pm: -2c

Mon 6pm: -2c

Tue midnight: 3c

Tue 6am: -3c

Tue 12pm: -4c

Tue 6pm: -4c

Wed midnight: -4c

Wed 6am: -4c

Wed 12pm: -3c

Wed 6pm: -2c

Thu midnight: -2c

Thu 6am: -3c

Thu 12pm: -4c

Thu 6pm: -3c

Fri midnight: 2c

Fri 6am: 0c

Fri 12pm: 0c

Fri 6pm: -1c

Sat midnight: -3c

Sat 6am: -4c

Sat 12pm: -5c

Sat 6pm: -5c

Sun midnight: -5c

Sun 6am: -5c

Sun 12pm: -5c

Sun 6pm: -5c

Slightly below average is the main theme- but generally nothing extreme on both sides of the spectrum.

Posted

As long as I get a white Christmas with both snow falling and a covering then I will be happy despite having no snow so far this winter