Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

so....snow odds for barnsley, south yorkshire, anyone any ideas lol

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

so....snow odds for barnsley, south yorkshire, anyone any ideas lol

50/50.

Both the GFS6z and GFS12z do still have the precipitation making it as far north as Leeds which is a positive and have the air temperature at 1C or 0C. The downside is precipitation is so light in Barnsley and Leeds that we are forecast light rain.

I suspect that if we can get even moderate precipitation, it will be game on.

Posted

Hopefully, we need the first snow of the winter!

Luckily we got snow showers on the 4th/5th overnight.

Posted

Hopefully, we need the first snow of the winter!

yes i agree, we do, im sick of waiting for it now lol, come on snow!! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and North Easterley flows, Early spring convection snow showers

All eyes on Friday mornings events, here's hoping it gives some of us a festive boost, I was working up near Caistor today, and registered an amazing max of 4 degrees and felt bloody raw with wind chill after a awaking to a nice white frost .It was also rather frustrating seeing showers in the the not too far distance this afternoon, even sleet would excite me at the moment, but can't grumble i guess its been a lot cooler than progged a few weeks back.

Posted

yes even sleet would be nice, just the sight of a few snowflakes lol, what needs to happen for fridays possible snow event to actually reach south yorkshire, have to ask as i do not get the models, i am trying to learn but not sinking in lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and North Easterley flows, Early spring convection snow showers

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will elaborate however the big low pressure system coming down thursday night to friday needs to be progged a little further North, nothings set in stone yet as the track of it is flipping and flopping however they are notorious to plot till sometimes within t+12 (note i hope this is correct i'm sure someone may correct me if not) :good:

Posted

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will elaborate however the big low pressure system coming down thursday night to friday needs to be progged a little further North, nothings set in stone yet as the track of it is flipping and flopping however they are notorious to plot till sometimes within t+12 (note i hope this is correct i'm sure someone may correct me if not) :good:

ok thanks, well lets hope it ends up progged a little further north :D

Posted

http://hw.nwstatic.c...t~Yorkshire.png

Quite a few esemble members goin for heavy precipitation reaching our area!

This is my prediction of the risk of heavy snow on friday:

South Yorkshire - 35%

East Yorkshire - 30%

West Yorkshire - 25%

North Yorkshire - 15%.

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, torrential rain.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will elaborate however the big low pressure system coming down thursday night to friday needs to be progged a little further North, nothings set in stone yet as the track of it is flipping and flopping however they are notorious to plot till sometimes within t+12 (note i hope this is correct i'm sure someone may correct me if not) good.gif

Thats my understanding too, although I may be talking out my backside (again) :sorry:

Posted

All i can say is WOW!!!! Bbc are showing driving winds and snow fall down to low levels accumilating and worst in south yorkshire! Are bbc over doing the snow??? Wish i had the nmm charts to look at!

Posted

Yay, Latest bbc forecast had snow for our region!

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn301.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn421.png

I think the key is, rather than the low skirting west to east through the channel giving the midlands a dumping. It heads north east, bringing the precipitation much further north :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Yay, Latest bbc forecast had snow for our region!

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rtavn301.png

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rtavn421.png

I think the key is, rather than the low skirting west to east through the channel giving the midlands a dumping. It heads north east, bringing the precipitation much further north :)

Us North easterners are hoping it will track north too

Posted

Us North easterners are hoping it will track north too

Ye I don't blame ya, lets face it we'd flog our grandma in return for that low taking our favoured track! :D Even if it does mean the midlands/wales miss out ;)

There's a chance you could get snow but I don't think it would be from the main disruptive band, I think it would be more from bands of showers wrapped around it being brought in via the north sea.

TBH although the bbc forecast for west yorkshire looked very good Im still very dubious and would prefer the low tracking further north.

I think for you guys in Linconshire/south yorkshire it is looking good :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

BBC forecast for tomorrow night looks amazing! GFS not so much although i always find it's precip forecast very poor. NAE charts are also looking very good. Looks like tomorrow a night of nail biting radar watching. Bring it on!

Posted

Just been looking at the NMM and I'm going to wait for the next run before posting any of the charts. It's showing that it's a marginal event for this neck of the woods. With the current situation being modelled rather poorly by all models, I'm not wasting the effort it takes to click and drag. Will post up a few charts later. :)

Posted

I'm an NAE fan so will stick to what it shows.

As it stands there have been fluctuations from each run regarding the northern most extent so although the 12Z NAE is game on the 6Z wasn't while the 0Z was.

Still plenty of changes to come!

Posted

changes for the good wanted for south yorkshire, pleeeease lol, getting too obsessed with snow now, need a covering at least then i will be happy :D

Posted

yes even sleet would be nice, just the sight of a few snowflakes lol, what needs to happen for fridays possible snow event to actually reach south yorkshire, have to ask as i do not get the models, i am trying to learn but not sinking in lol

Basically, it is a secondary low that is going to move from the Channel into East Anglia so that we may be just about on the northern extent however as it is a secondary low, the stronger the low is the more it will be pulled northward and the greater the chance of snow or heavy precipitation.

Snow for Yorkshire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Actually there's been a decent covering on the extreme N border with Country Durham last few days.

BBC says yes for Leeds! As of 18:00 forecast today (based on their 12z model thoughts plus the forecaster).

http://hw.nwstatic.c...t~Yorkshire.png

Quite a few esemble members goin for heavy precipitation reaching our area!

This is my prediction of the risk of heavy snow on friday:

South Yorkshire - 35%

East Yorkshire - 30%

West Yorkshire - 25%

North Yorkshire - 15%.

Interesting that the operational was one of the lowest for precipitation amounts indicating that it is too far south.

Posted

GFS18z has the low even further south however given that precipitation barely reaches Birmingham on this run i would summise that it is an outlier for tommorows low.

Posted

hi just a quick question, when they say in a forecast "over higher ground" what do they class as high ground :cc_confused:

Posted

150-200M+.

Anyway as expected the latest BBC forecast has followed the NAE 18Z showing the precipitation making it no further north than north Birmingham.

post-8968-0-35219200-1323907358_thumb.pn