Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties And East Anglia Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

not coming east enough on mo warnings.If this storm does slip further south what does that mean for essex?

Perhaps if i hide the sledges i wrapped up?might be jinxing it???lol

As we are serious snow loving family i am rather stressed.

Posted

I have been an avid follower on here and TWO for years now but post fairly rarely - and I have too say, this is probably the most marginal event I've seen in that time, for my area that is. I live about 7 miles directly west of cambridge in the countryside (which can often get snow when the city is too warm), what do people think the chances are for snow here on friday? I assume that snow will fall at some stage either during the night or day with this event, but I realise it could come at the tail end and accumulate to nothing, or start overnight and produce a substantial fall. The thicknesses, strength of precipitation, evaporative cooling and inland, rural location give me and advantage - but I may be 50 odd miles too far to the East/South for the proper cold to arrive in time. Can anyone else offer any advice?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

not coming east enough on mo warnings.If this storm does slip further south what does that mean for essex?

Perhaps if i hide the sledges i wrapped up?might be jinxing it???lol

As we are serious snow loving family i am rather stressed.

I wouldnt count on much snow, but then again, no one really knows as the models cant seem to keep up with tracking the low at the moment.

Posted

Bear in mind this is very knifedge, as tiny changes in the track of that low will make all the difference between rain/snow (or not much precip at all) and gales (or less) or severe gales (or worse).

I have been an avid follower on here and TWO for years now but post fairly rarely - and I have too say, this is probably the most marginal event I've seen in that time, for my area that is. I live about 7 miles directly west of cambridge in the countryside (which can often get snow when the city is too warm), what do people think the chances are for snow here on friday? I assume that snow will fall at some stage either during the night or day with this event, but I realise it could come at the tail end and accumulate to nothing, or start overnight and produce a substantial fall. The thicknesses, strength of precipitation, evaporative cooling and inland, rural location give me and advantage - but I may be 50 odd miles too far to the East/South for the proper cold to arrive in time. Can anyone else offer any advice?

Hello! Its one of those annoying 'wait and see' things. Have been a number of marginal events in recent years for our neck of the woods! (usually its just dry rather than rain instead of snow I find). This has potential, but for certain none of the forecasts will get it 100% right, especially this time. More 'wait and see' than usual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Well im off home for the day. I will be back on later to see how the models are going. See you all soon folks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Cold and Hot inc Stormy Weather

Here is the MetO opinion for the end of the week.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2011/wintry-and-unsettled

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Hi everyone,if you watch the above video,when hes talking about possible snow scenario doesnt he run the tip of his finger straight across my region(essex).?But nothing on warnings cover this area???now very confused:(

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

I wouldn't rule out a bit of snow in Colchester, nor here in Stortford, but generally things do look a bit more certain for higher ground.

Posted

Posted

Here's the latest NAE (12z) chart for between 6am-midday Friday:

http://www.weatheron...&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=

Snow as the low clears eastwards.

Trying not to get excited, need the cambs snow shield to be broken before I can get excited about charts like this.

But could be some serious :help:. I seem to recall that this time either last year or the year before we got heavy snow in the night of the last day of school, gving me the day off, not sure this will happen again, but possible I suppose.

Edited by hughsey

Posted

I wouldn't rule out a bit of snow in Colchester, nor here in Stortford, but generally things do look a bit more certain for higher ground.

I think the snow potential has been slowly upgrading throughout the day. The warnings were issued based upon the 6z runs. I think the eastern extent of snow is possibly likely to be somewhere close to Chelmsford based upon the 12z run - Colchester might be okay if you can avoid a direct easterly feed.

One thing to watch will be IF the track of that low takes he centre just to the south of the Thames estuary, it's likely to feed a heck of a lot more energy up the northern flank for a time than is modelled presently....that has happened quite a few times, most recently last December in fact, which is what lead to the sudden emergency flash warnings issued for London and the home counties (can't remember exact date) as the shortwave took said track

SK

Posted

Here's the latest NAE (12z) chart for between 6am-midday Friday:

http://www.weatheron...&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=

Snow as the low clears eastwards.

That has got me looking forward to tommorow night/Friday, hopefully the charts dont change too much in the next 24 hours, which they probably will. In the London + SE Thread they said it is unlikely to settle anyway even if we did get snow, only on higher ground, which I dont think im on higher ground :( , I'd still be happy to see snow falling though!

Posted

Hi everyone,if you watch the above video,when hes talking about possible snow scenario doesnt he run the tip of his finger straight across my region(essex).?But nothing on warnings cover this area???now very confused:(

I would say much of this region has a chance of seeing some snow as the Low pressure clears. However due to being marginal much is going to depend on the intensity of the precipitation and this won't be known until the event kicks off. If the NAE remains the same im certain will shall see snowfalling. However I still remain cautious whether we shall see this accumulating.

Just add its great to be back posting in my favourite thread.

Posted

I would say much of this region has a chance of seeing some snow as the Low pressure clears. However due to being marginal much is going to depend on the intensity of the precipitation and this won't be known until the event kicks off. If the NAE remains the same im certain will shall see snowfalling. However I still remain cautious whether we shall see this accumulating.

Good to see you out of hibernation, Dave.

Posted

Good to see you back here Eye In The Sky, I remember you from last year, you were like the expert here, I think lol.

Posted

Good post, great to see you back posting for the winter.

Posted

Great to see you back TEITS. Must admit that I really value your opinion and you have come a long way since those early 'wallpaper' days.

Posted

Good to see you here TEITS :)

We had some sleet in High Wycombe today with a few very wet flakes mixed in - a nice surprise. Hoping we're not too marginal on Friday...

Posted

I think we'll be too marginal for anything serious - that's my gut feeling. Cambridge will be the eastern extremity of snowfall I feel - and I don't think it will add to much here, since the low is progged to run too far north to allow the colder air to really dig deep enough. Would love to be wrong, but IMO expect wet falling snow on top of overnight rain if you live in or east of Cambridgeshire - based ONLY on the current output, and not future changes that could change all that, which I hope will happen!

Posted

I think we'll be too marginal for anything serious - that's my gut feeling. Cambridge will be the eastern extremity of snowfall I feel - and I don't think it will add to much here, since the low is progged to run too far north to allow the colder air to really dig deep enough. Would love to be wrong, but IMO expect wet falling snow on top of overnight rain if you live in or east of Cambridgeshire - based ONLY on the current output, and not future changes that could change all that, which I hope will happen!

Living in Bury St Eds I hope your wrong about cambs being eastern most extremity though am not confident of seeing anything here, would love to wake up friday though and see some snow falling. Good luck everyone!

Posted

Trying not to get excited, need the cambs snow shield to be broken before I can get excited about charts like this.

But could be some serious :help:. I seem to recall that this time either last year or the year before we got heavy snow in the night of the last day of school, gving me the day off, not sure this will happen again, but possible I suppose.

It was the year before last I think, my little lads made it into school and had the best day snowballing with the teachers! That's education! Lol

Good to see you TEITS! xxx