Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Afternoon!

Thought I'd pop over and say hello. I usually post in the 3 counties and EA thread but I think I'm probably closer to some of you. It's very difficult being borderline! So if you don't mind I might float between the two...

A cold wind and a heavy rain shower earlier here - sadly not even sleet...

You might get some snow tonight in any precip as I would have thought Wycombe is definately of high enough elevation.

Posted

You might get some snow tonight in any precip as I would have thought Wycombe is definately of high enough elevation.

Unfortunately I live in the valley between the big hills, but you never know!! Will report back tomorrow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hey guys, first snow of the year for Headington, Oxford. Didn't settle, but was heavy for a good 10 minutes before turning back to rain. Then another show 15 mins ago and it snowed again. A welcome Suprise, I live on a hill just to the east of Oxford City centre. Apparently it was sleet/wet snow there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Ended up with around 29mm last night, very impressive!

Posted

Hey guys, first snow of the year for Headington, Oxford. Didn't settle, but was heavy for a good 10 minutes before turning back to rain. Then another show 15 mins ago and it snowed again. A welcome Suprise, I live on a hill just to the east of Oxford City centre. Apparently it was sleet/wet snow there!

Ahh ....the advantages of living "up north"

Sunny and cool here "in the midlands".

No doubt its even warmer down on the costa solent.

Posted

For those who don't believe me.. http://www.oxfordmai...sed_it/?ref=rss

Lol there can't be much "news" going on in Oxford today

Posted

Ended up with around 29mm last night, very impressive!

We managed to get a total of 15.6mm in Headington,Oxfordshire.

Ahh ....the advantages of living "up north"

Sunny and cool here "in the midlands".

No doubt its even warmer down on the costa solent.

Its a chilly temperature now -3.1c.dropped to 1.8c when it snowed

Edited by Mark Neal Ballooning

Posted

Latest radar showing another shower for Oxford area coming down from the Costwolds, should hit within the hour.

The one you had earlier Mark fizzled out before it got to London.

Edited by No balls like Snow Balls

Posted

Latest radar showing another shower for Oxford area coming down from the Costwolds, should hit within the hour.

The one you had earlier Mark fizzled out before it got to London.

Cheers for the heads up! will keep a close watch, could be wintry again and have snow! Its 3.2c here... Dropped to 1.8c when it snowed, i see it also snowed in Luton and Aylesbury.

Posted

Cheers for the heads up! will keep a close watch, could be wintry again and have snow! Its 3.2c here... Dropped to 1.8c when it snowed, i see it also snowed in Luton and Aylesbury.

That's what I hate about working at heathrow during the day in the fact i miss all the excitement back home lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Some interesting days ahead with RAIN, WIND, SLEET, SNOW, HAIL & THUNDER all in the mix. :drinks:

See the attached Fax charts which attempt to show the passing of the FRONTS and DEPRESSIONS during the next few days. :good:

post-7183-0-28151500-1323787552_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-76966900-1323787563_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-75073900-1323788652_thumb.pn

The timing of the passage of the various fronts/troughs being most crucial in terms of who gets snow etc. Personally I feel hill snow is most likely at this stage and unforunatley less likelihood of snow at lower levels and more particularly at the coast. However, things can and will change. :p

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

When I've had a stab/given up after failing miserably at my assignment I'll do a post on the upcoming few days once the GFS 12z is out :)

Posted

When I've had a stab/given up after failing miserably at my assignment I'll do a post on the upcoming few days once the GFS 12z is out :)

I know im not in Central England but never mind, Nick/Mark/Anyone do you think theres more chance of snow before the end of this year than there was last week, Im reallly confused of whats happening towards the end of this week, over the weekend, I've heard the charts are confusing from what people are saying.

Edited by WheresTheSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I know im not in Central England but never mind, Nick/Mark/Anyone do you think theres more chance of snow before the end of this year than there was last week, Im reallly confused of whats happening towards the end of this week, over the weekend, I've heard the charts are confusing from what people are saying.

I think it's safe to say the weather models still haven't got a handle on it so therefore the powers that be also haven't.

Hope that helps.

Just keep tuned to NW and the various forecasts.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted

I think it's safe to say the weather models still haven't got a handle on it so therefore the powers that be also haven't.

Hope that helps.

Just keep tuned to NW and the various forecasts.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Thanks for the quick reply GotToLoveThisWeather, I think I shall be more patient and wait to see what happens.

Posted

Well I got caught in a hail shower at 3pm. Followed quickly by heavy snow, before turning to sleet then back to snow. Wish it would make it's mind up. An interesting day here in Oxford. Temperature is 2.2c. Chilly-Stormy-Snowy-Sleety Day!!

Posted

I was woken up by the wind and rain lashing at the window last night - no mean feat as I can sleep thru anything.

We only have a v small chance of snow this week, increasing by friday to up to 40% likelyhood.... 60% unlikely :(

I must bookmark this page at work so I can post more often. I spent half the day looking at loads of different weather websites... Piers Corbin has some interesting things to say re Thurs and Fri :smilz38:

Edited by Sungirl

Posted

I must bookmark this page at work so I can post more often. I spent half the day looking at loads of different weather websites... Piers Corbin has some interesting things to say re Thurs and Fri :smilz38:

Hi Sungirl......you may have seen numerous postings on this site about Piers.

Fairly or unfairly many on this site do not take him very seriously!

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/289369 He seems fairly set on snowmageddon for Scotland and 100mph wind down here come Friday. Seems OTT to me, but lets see.....lots of weather on the cards but not sure about the "carpet bombing"!

Posted

Just started to sleet/snow again here, the radar is good viewing, but temperature has been creeping up slightly now @ 3.4c, DP 0.8c.

Edit- Sleet, Very Heavy Rain now.. Temp down to 3.1c, dew point @ 1.1c.

Edited by Mark Neal Ballooning

Posted

Hi Sungirl......you may have seen numerous postings on this site about Piers.

Fairly or unfairly many on this site do not take him very seriously!

http://www.express.c...sts/view/289369 He seems fairly set on snowmageddon for Scotland and 100mph wind down here come Friday. Seems OTT to me, but lets see.....lots of weather on the cards but not sure about the "carpet bombing"!

No, I am fairly new to the site and am not very educated with all the weather maps, models (what are they?) etc but I am trying to learn :) I have friends who subscribe to his forecasts and swear by them... and they are people who rely on them for their work etc... Personally I haven't found a forecaster yet who has got it 95% right!!!

I'm here to learn and will look forward to reading all your updates and glean what I can to make sense of them :D

x

Posted

No snow overnight, not even at 250 meters on the Chilterns, was surprised that temp actually rose in the night to 3.7c and was down to 2.5c upon waking this morning.