Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

ECM actually gives CS England a fairly decent, if mauybe short lived snow event at the low starts to move away in the early overnight hours. Worth keeping an eye on, especially if the ECM is correct with its channel track.

I remain very sceptical

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

A few sleety flakes earlier so I'll log the 14th December as a "snow seen falling" day in the diary. Just a few days ago, there was not a snowballs hope in hell of seeing something like that so until Friday's events have passed, we will not anything of the future.

Only 3.3c in Newbury as I type this. 2.2c DP, 995.2hpa and rising rapidly, but not for long.

Rather interested in the next 36 hours, yet alone t+36. :drinks:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Rather interested in the next 36 hours, yet alone t+36. :drinks:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Have you seen the latest metoffice weather warning gottolovethisweather?

We're slap bang between the warning blob for wind and the one for snow. Who knows what Thur night/Fri morning will bring?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

We're slap bang between the warning blob for wind and the one for snow. Who knows what Thur night/Fri morning will bring?

I think that met are covering their backsides on this one. Not saying no one will see snow but the warning I see as them saying there is a slim chance. If it does not happen, other than a few on here phoning up ask them "where is my bl***y snow? Who is going to have a go at them. However, the other way round, the press and most of the public will be forming a que.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well just had a rain shower, followed by sleet and then 50 flakes of snow before turning back to sleet, lovely weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

No I haven't but some have reported what the beeb have been saying in the storm thread. I also did a post or two in there myself. :good:

Responding to other comments, as for the MetO covering their backs, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. :whistling:

Personally I'll be radar/satellite and lamp-post watching IF necessary. Also, I await more analysis from the likes of JH, Nick F, TWS etc.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

No I haven't but some have reported what the beeb have been saying in the storm thread. I also did a post or two in there myself. :good:

As for covering their backs, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. :whistling:

Personally I'll be radar/satellite and lamp-post watching IF necessary. Also, I await more analysis from the likes of JH, Nick F, TWS etc.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

And this from the MetO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Responding to other comments, as for the MetO covering their backs, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. :whistling:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

And this from the MetO.

I might have an interesting journey back to the Midlands on Friday morning!!

Nothing wintry here today, just a very cold rain shower. Not cold enough for snow here at around 5c.

Posted

Useful forecast from the Met Office. Of course if the system were to shift even further south then it'd really bring this region into play. Pretty interesting set-up this one, as I said before you've got a wave that tries to develop along the frontal system and that helps to pep up the frontal system despite the cold air wrapping around (which is usually the killer for frontal systems in this set-up) and gives snow more widely.

Posted

On December 7th some mad man quoted.

I'm also pinning my hopes on an increasing likelihood on one of those rare channel lows, come next weekend and beyond for us snow starved folk down south.

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Whilst at risk at blowing my own trumpet here :p , I would say my assessment on the 7th December in the Storm thread wasn't far wrong. :acute::yahoo: Also, I believe Blast and Roger J Smith were of the same opinion as well at even longer range, so much respect to them. :hi:

As an aside, my assessments were based on the GFS ensembles and using like for like runs (JH style) thereby attempting to trend spot.

Here's the 06z ensembles for Berskhire & Hampshire with regards to precipitation and the 850s, these being TWO KEY INDICATORS for will it snow, won't it snow questions! :good:

post-7183-0-03397800-1323877480_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-36211100-1323877492_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-43847600-1323877501_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-24855300-1323877517_thumb.pn

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Wow! We had sleet followed by snow, didnt settle again! But it was big blobs of snow, couldn't resist not going out in it.. The temperature has gone from 2.5c @ 4:10pm to 1.8c @ 4:20pm. Snow/ Rain again now, was good while it lasted!

Posted

Wow! We had sleet followed by snow, didnt settle again! But it was big blobs of snow, couldn't resist not going out in it.. The temperature has gone from 2.5c @ 4:10pm to 1.8c @ 4:20pm. Snow/ Rain again now, was good while it lasted!

Quite a temperature difference for such a short distance. Been at 5c most of the day here!

Posted

We had a very small amount of sleet at about 3.15... almost unnoticeable but enough to make me more positive about the 25% chance we have of a slight dusting tomorrow :)

Posted

I have received the following from a fellow Netweather member, Daniel Smith.

http://ukweather.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/weather-advisory-issued/

Please have a read.

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

http://ukweather.wor...dvisory-issued/

Please have a read.

gottolovethisweather

I'll bank this, thanks :p

Posted

http://ukweather.wor...dvisory-issued/

Please have a read.

gottolovethisweather

Where do you think this leaves me? I am just about on the M4 but only 77m above sea level... Guessing just sleet and cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

I don't understand why this thread is so deserted?

GFS temperature predictions for my area have been quite off! Predicted max 5C, yet 3C all day. Then rain showers all day but ended up having heavy sleet and snow. Currently temperature is 1C when it's predicting 4C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Hello everyone - how are you all? Very very well I hope. It's been an interesting time for me, been made redundant and now the car's broken down with an engine fault but the weather keeps me going (I'm a glass full kinda gal lol!) - here's hoping for a stormy time for us right down on the coast. Would of course prefer some snow but you can't have everything! Will be staying tuned and lovely to see the regulars on here and newbies too!

Posted

I don't understand why this thread is so deserted?

GFS temperature predictions for my area have been quite off! Predicted max 5C, yet 3C all day. Then rain showers all day but ended up having heavy sleet and snow. Currently temperature is 1C when it's predicting 4C

Hello Breeze in the east, welcome aboard, another oxonian on here ;) I live 15 minutes from you! So will look forward to your reports,views.. Yes didn't expect snow in the showers in the last 2 days, 4 times there has been snow in the showers, had sleet/snow/heavy rain/ strong winds in last few days... not forgetting one all mighty hail shower!

Quite a temperature difference for such a short distance. Been at 5c most of the day here!

Yes Benson was recording 5c at 3pm, while here we had 2.5c.. Brize Norton has been reporting 2-3c all day, while further north Turweston Airfield has been between 1-3c. Such a big difference in such a short distance!

Posted

Hello Breeze in the east, welcome aboard, another oxonian on here ;) I live 15 minutes from you! So will look forward to your reports,views.. Yes didn't expect snow in the showers in the last 2 days, 4 times there has been snow in the showers, had sleet/snow/heavy rain/ strong winds in last few days... not forgetting one all mighty hail shower!

Yes Benson was recording 5c at 3pm, while here we had 2.5c.. Brize Norton has been reporting 2-3c all day, while further north Turweston Airfield has been between 1-3c. Such a big difference in such a short distance!

As a result all showers here have been purely cold rain, not a hint of wintriness.

Posted

It's quite marked the difference in temp within relatively short distances, i am only 16 miles East of Oxford and it's 3.2c here and has been maybe 1.5c/2c warmer than you all day. It seems that the further East and North you are the colder the air is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Chappie on BBC News 24 just said that snow is going to be a bigger risk for the South than the wind will be on Friday! :clapping:

Slb97 - sorry you are having a bad time. PM me re the car if you need any advice. I may be able to help.

Posted

Where do you think this leaves me? I am just about on the M4 but only 77m above sea level... Guessing just sleet and cold?

I'll tell you on Friday. :rofl: As I said earlier (posts 81 & 84) stay online and watch is the best I can advise.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

As a result all showers here have been purely cold rain, not a hint of wintriness.

It must avoid you Nick L. T'was snowing (mainly sletty stuff) in Newbury earlier today too.

Posted

a few thunderstorms going off over the sea atm can see but not here them atm,think we will be in for some rough weather over the next 24-48 hours.some rain sleet and wind over the next few days.no exspecting much snow on coast but hope im wrong.

Posted

We had some heavy sleet with some very wet flakes mixed in at around 4.30 this afternoon - a nice surprise. Here's hoping for a few more on Friday :drinks: