Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hi Guys and Gals. Temperature is at a chilly 1.8c, The Earlier wet snow/sleet has frozen over and left a slush on Outside Table/Trampoline/Toybox. I am not getting over excited about friday's potential. That way i won't be bitterly dissapointed. The margins will be interested. But who would of thought two days ago, i would of seen 4 snow showers, in 2 days then a chance of back edge snow for Friday. This is why i love watching the weather! So many surprises.

Regards. Mark.

Edited by Mark Neal Ballooning

Posted

EVENING FOLKS!

some nice wintery mixed showers through today, around 80% snow during a couple, nothing settled.

Bit unsure what will unfold during the next 3 or 4 days, It might be interesting what the pub run can create out of this !!

Happy hunting folks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

Posted

This looks nice for Central Southern England at +42

http://expert-images...1612_2_1418.gif

Me and you would get plastered :p Nae is perfect, Gfs is diabolical for snow lovers.

Posted

Remember the event couple of years ago when Oxfordshire saw a foot of snow from the band pivoting only around us!

Edited by BreezeInTheEast

Posted

Bbc Weather have upgraded the snow potential for my area instead of sleet then light snow for friday morning goes for 6am- Heavy Snow + 9am- Heavy Snow.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ox3. Interesting, plenty of twists and turns in the next 24hrs folks!

Remember the event couple of years ago when Oxfordshire saw a foot of snow from the band pivoting only around us!

I can remember that very well! Second time coming? :p lol..

Posted

Bbc Weather have upgraded the snow potential for my area instead of sleet then light snow for friday morning goes for 6am- Heavy Snow + 9am- Heavy Snow.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ox3. Interesting, plenty of twists and turns in the next 24hrs folks!

I can remember that very well! Second time coming? :p lol..

It looks like it. 6 hours of heavy snow, I would take that!

As you say, more twists and turns to come. I hope the band moves further north.

Posted

It looks like it. 6 hours of heavy snow, I would take that!

As you say, more twists and turns to come. I hope the band moves further north.

Yes so would I, but things will change for the better or worse,we will soon find out my friend! Looks like i might be up all night tomoz night, friday is last day of term for me- nothing special happening! Merry 'xmas' everybody!!

Posted

Yes so would I, but things will change for the better or worse,we will soon find out my friend! Looks like i might be up all night tomoz night, friday is last day of term for me- nothing special happening! Merry 'xmas' everybody!!

Once I get my physics exam out of the way tomorrow, I'll be joining you with radar / lampost watching!

Posted

Once I get my physics exam out of the way tomorrow, I'll be joining you with radar / lampost watching!

What year are you in at school/college/uni? Yep, nothing better than watching the lampost/radar :p

Posted

What year are you in at school/college/uni? Yep, nothing better than watching the lampost/radar :p

A levels - 2nd year. I'll off to bed now.

Posted
A levels - 2nd year. I'll off to bed now.

Im in my first year doing A Levels, ok night mate. Hopefully 0z will be even better!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It does amuse me sometimes...the Midlands thread are on the phone to Samaritans while this thread has newfound optimism :lol:

Anyway, a look at the 00z NMM certainly looks promising.

http://nwstatic.co.uk/viewimage.pbx?type=nwm;date=20111215;time=00;ext=28;file=nmmukprectypex;sess=ee1df01e1d7d044429d5d3528825e36d;

Posted

Is it likely to get settling snow? I imagine the surfaces to be very wet before rain turns to snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Is it likely to get settling snow? I imagine the surfaces to be very wet before rain turns to snow.

We've seen instances like this in the past. If the snow is thick and heavy enough (which if it falls as snow, it will be) then it will have no problem settling. Back home in the Midlands we had a bit of a legendary snow event in Jan 2004. We had a dusting of snow in the morning, this melted and we had rain during the afternoon, everywhere was soaked. Then there was a sudden temperature drop, it quickly turned to snow and within 10 minutes of it turning it was settling no problem at all. The rain had washed all the grit off the roads and it caused absolute mayhem.

This was all in the afternoon, with this event being overnight it could well play into our favour, and evaporative cooling will aid snow formation.

Edit: Although having said that, I just don't think it will be cold enough.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Well, I've felt quite let down this week, with only one 35mph gust on Tuesday and now the "1987-potential" storm looks like it's heading off into Spain :-(

But I would swap it all for the sight of some SNOW tonight! I'm not even asking for it to settle.... :search:

There should a Narnia-type lampost amongst these icons! :-D

Posted

Morning all. Here we are 24 hours away from some 'snow potential' - when baba wakes first thing in the morning I shall be taking a sneaky peak out of the window to view the nearest lamp post. It looks to me like we are missing a few ingredients in the magimix for full blown snow.. but what do I know

Posted

Amber warning for heavy snow from latest Metoffice update

http://www.metoffice...ings.html?day=2

Phew! I am going to look a real fool in the office if we get none tomorrow! My reputation is relying on at least a sprinkling of snow... sleet at the very least please!!! :help:

Edited by Sungirl

Posted

Looking up for us in this region. Favoured spots for the heavier stuff atm look to be out to the west of Oxford ....Witney down to Wantage. Obviously this bulls-eye area will change but at least it looks like most of us are in with a shout!

Should be a fun night/morning tracking all of this.(time that I sign up for the netweather radar)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Cross posted this from http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/71924-atlantic-storms-14th-december-2011-onwards-part-4/page__view__findpost__p__2187263

Looks interesting is all I will say, at least for Newbury area.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Maybe not, a slight upward trend since this post. :fool:

Posted

Maybe not, a slight upward trend since this post. :fool:

:shok: :shok: upward? ....as in northwards? :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

:shok: :shok: upward? ....as in northwards? :o

Unfortunately in terms of temperature. However it probably won't make a difference, as the S word predictions are in the wee early hours and into tomorrow.

At least the Stratosphere is bringing further hope in time, assuming you like the ice crystals, Kiwi.

Brrrr.

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Unfortunately in terms of temperature. However it probably won't make a difference, as the S word predictions are in the wee early hours and into tomorrow.

At least the Stratosphere is bringing further hope in time, assuming you like the ice crystals, Kiwi.

Brrrr.

gottolovethisweather

Is the track of the system not the key to whether we get snow or r...r...ra (can't say the word) or not?

If we're to the north of the system we're in with a chance and the temps will start dropping as we pull in the northerlies?

I'm not really expecting much from tonight/tomorrow, but a bit of wet snow would make my kids feel very festive as they set off for their last day at school tomorrow before the Christmas holidays.

:w00t:

Beyond that I've not read too much to make me feel too positive about the prospects of stratospheric warming and northern blocking, apart from some mutterings about early Jan. Methinks we were spoilt last December!

Edited by Kiwi

Posted

I really am convinced that the snow prospects are being over hyped, i can't see anything other than sleet, maybe some wet snow on high ground in the Chilterns, there has been too many occasions in the past where this same sort of set up has dissapointed. Some might be happy with a bit of sleet or wet snow but it doesn't wash with me. I hop I am made to eat my words come this time tomorrow :good: