Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
I really am convinced that the snow prospects are being over hyped, i can't see anything other than sleet, maybe some wet snow on high ground in the Chilterns, there has been too many occasions in the past where this same sort of set up has dissapointed. Some might be happy with a bit of sleet or wet snow but it doesn't wash with me. I hop I am made to eat my words come this time tomorrow :good:

You'll see snow, might be wet stuff but you'll see some.

Is the track of the system not the key to whether we get snow or r...r...ra (can't say the word) or not? If we're to the north of the system we're in with a chance and the temps will start dropping as we pull in the northerlies? I'm not really expecting much from tonight/tomorrow, but a bit of wet snow would make my kids feel very festive as they set off for their last day at school tomorrow before the Christmas holidays. :w00t: Beyond that I've not read too much to make me feel too positive about the prospects of stratospheric warming and northern blocking, apart from some mutterings about early Jan. Methinks we were spoilt last December!

I would say you could well be lucky. I previously lived in Basingstoke so your high enough and far enough away from the salt air to benefit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I really am convinced that the snow prospects are being over hyped, i can't see anything other than sleet, maybe some wet snow on high ground in the Chilterns, there has been too many occasions in the past where this same sort of set up has dissapointed. Some might be happy with a bit of sleet or wet snow but it doesn't wash with me. I hop I am made to eat my words come this time tomorrow :good:

Indeed.

I said the following in an email to a friend of mine, who is travelling to somerset tomorrow.

Certainly could be interesting. I see you’re not far from Exmoor then!

I’d expect SNOW and a possible covering of a few inches at ALTITUDE but if lower down, mainly sleety stuff overnight tonight into early tomorrow then WINTRY SHOWERS from FRIDAY daytime onwards.

I understand the latest RISK AREA to be particularly north of the M4 and Northeast of that area. Put it this way, I’m not expecting overmuch if any at HOME.

All of this can change of course.

I think that's a fair assumption at this current time. Mind you, the falling temperature trend is continuing ahead of the WARM ? sector. :search:

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Indeed.

I said the following in an email to a friend of mine, who is travelling to somerset tomorrow.

Certainly could be interesting. I see you’re not far from Exmoor then!

I’d expect SNOW and a possible covering of a few inches at ALTITUDE but if lower down, mainly sleety stuff overnight tonight into early tomorrow then WINTRY SHOWERS from FRIDAY daytime onwards.

I understand the latest RISK AREA to be particularly north of the M4 and Northeast of that area. Put it this way, I’m not expecting overmuch if any at HOME.

All of this can change of course.

I think that's a fair assumption at this current time. Mind you, the falling temperature trend is continuing ahead of the WARM ? sector. :search:

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

I just checked my local met office sites and they have been consistent with temps for last 3 hours, so nothing out of the ordinary going on up here yet. Maybe it's to do with cloud breaks lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I just checked my local met office sites and they have been consistent with temps for last 3 hours, so nothing out of the ordinary going on up here yet. Maybe it's to do with cloud breaks lol.

Some high level cirrus about but other than that clear skies.

Confusing for sure and proving that nothing is a gimmee in this game.

Now 5.4c AT, 3.3c DP, 1001.0hpa AP and rising slowly.

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Latest BBC weather has lows 3-7 C in the Channel overnight, goddam! No chance of snow in Southampton unless something changes (what is needed to pull the cold air further south - a deeper low? More southerly track? I dunno...) #dunce

Oh well, at least I can comfort myself with the thought of lower fuel bills :drunk:

Posted

Latest BBC weather has lows 3-7 C in the Channel overnight, goddam! No chance of snow in Southampton unless something changes (what is needed to pull the cold air further south - a deeper low? More southerly track? I dunno...) #dunce

Oh well, at least I can comfort myself with the thought of lower fuel bills :drunk:

TBH i think a miracle or a snow cannon is needed for snow in your neck of the woods tonight :rofl: .

Edited by No balls like Snow Balls

Posted

the low would have to track a little further south

anywhere within 10 miles of the coast has no chance at the moment imo

Posted

Not if you're drinking it though. :rofl:

gottolovethisweather

Posted

TBH i think a miracle or a snow cannon is needed for snow in your neck of the woods tonight :rofl: .

Too true - but I do hope some of you guys get lucky and will keep us all updated because I do like to read what is happening elsewhere :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Too true - but I do hope some of you guys get lucky and will keep us all updated because I do like to read what is happening elsewhere :)

Don't give up hope - the hi-res nmm shows snow for you in s'ampton from 0700 to 1100 tomorrow morning, with rain overnight turning to sleet around 5-6am and then turning to very wet snow.

Posted

the low would have to track a little further south

anywhere within 10 miles of the coast has no chance at the moment imo

The previous forecast definitely had Pompey in the firing line, though: the rain/snow border changed somewhere around Fareham so you could still get lucky :-) They've been wrong before.

Gotto, I am such a lightweight it costs me nowt to have a good time. In fact, I'm a very cheap date :p

Posted

The previous forecast definitely had Pompey in the firing line, though: the rain/snow border changed somewhere around Fareham so you could still get lucky :-) They've been wrong before.

Gotto, I am such a lightweight it costs me nowt to have a good time. In fact, I'm a very cheap date :p

See you tonight then Kate, or should I call you Katherine. :give_rose:

Gripping stuff this winter storm malarkey, although NOT so much the storm it once was.

I wouldn't write anything off just yet in terms of who, what, when, where and how. Could be :nonono::cold: or :wallbash:IT'S OH SO MARGINAL.

post-7183-0-48977300-1323964872_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-27125900-1323964883_thumb.pn

All very interesting and it's also just as important what happens BEFORE/DURING the event as well as AFTER the depression pulls away. Put it this way, ICE could be the main concern for the morning's travel.

Please take care all.

gottolovethisweather

Posted

See you tonight then Kate, or should I call you Katherine. :give_rose:

If we're not both snowed in, Gotto :rofl::air_kiss:

Posted

Plenty of rain for southampton area over night maybe a bit of wet snow first thing in morning after that looks like a dry cold weekend.the snow or slush isnt forcast to happen till early hours there wont be much left of the rain band thats heavy enough to produce any good snow.so i just think it a be slushy mix of rain and snow about two hours worth if that on back ege,but we still have the rest of the winter to go yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Away from this bizarre weather-related flirting, we have an interesting situation re: snow in central-southern england. I'd say Dorset, Hampshire and Berkshire most affected with small accumulations at times, generally possibility for snow for most in the region ABOVE 200m/300m at 3am, above 100/200m at 5am and above sea level at 8am (but rather sleety, wet stuff)... enjoy this interesting event CS contingent; lovely little thread you have got yourself here Tony!

Posted

Gotto, she looks a bit of a dog mate! :rofl:

Will you delete that or shall I? She'll be back, they always are. :rofl:

And yes I got the joke. :db:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Come on folks, I'm sure there's weather happening tonight :D

Posted

Models actually look quite decent for CS away from the English channel coasts. NMM for example gives a couple of hours of heavy snow, especially further north in the region and the NAE also gives the same, though I have doubts on the latter whether we'd have any settling snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Models actually look quite decent for CS away from the English channel coasts. NMM for example gives a couple of hours of heavy snow, especially further north in the region and the NAE also gives the same, though I have doubts on the latter whether we'd have any settling snow.

I think it's just a case of "wait and see" now to be honest.

Posted

Ah, but I'm a very lovely dog!

I know you are, woof woof. Down boy, down. 8)

Returning back to the discussion at hand, i.e. the Central Southern region "Where the f&%^ is my snow?" thread.............................................

Some interesting potential is being shown by one or two posters in the storm thread. :friends:

More specifically the last 3 charts on this post http://forum.netweat...ost__p__2187598

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Cooling trend continuing with 4.8c AT, 2.8c DP, 1000.5hp and steady AP.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

Temperature drop from 6C to 3.9C in less than an hour

http://slug.begbroke.org/tempdaycomp.png

Edited by BreezeInTheEast