Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Scrumpy and snow Yay :drunk: A perfect combination don't ya think! Well.... here's hoping we all get our snowy winter, snowed in with plenty of boxes of cider drooling at the snow outside lol. :D

Posted

Good to see the proper regionals are back! But really shouldn't it be called winter discussion. Even after last winter's big freeze it was still cold spell discussion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

morning all but it could be afternoon by the time i post ,WHOOPS SORRY I HAD CAPS LOCK , no i didnt . anyhow some seriouse weather around , will be radar watching next 48 hrs or so just hoping for some feature to pop up and cross our area , but as im aware its a large area so some happy folfs ,and some not so lucky ,lets hope atlantic lows can dig deeper south over next 10 days or so .on about cider apples, i think were picked i mean collected later this year absolutely tons went pass my house during oct /nov .local gritters are in yard and more salt etc arrived yesterday ,cheers :drinks:

Posted

Well, lets hope we can celebrate with the cider sometime soon with some snowy weather..... not holding much hope out but will enjoy drinking to it anyway ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

evening fellow westcountry people

think we will be lucky to get much snow this winter down these parts, but seeing as though we had an awesome Nov/Dec last year makes up for it! I will settle for some stormy conditions this winter, at least it isnt too mild at the moment.

I too will be drinking the cider, home made in fact! not as good as thatchers but free!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Ahh good to have the regional thread back :good:

The squall line has passed us in Gloucester now, but it wasnt anything to write home about, short burst of heavy rain and that was pretty much it...just as well our northern friends have been on the forum to keep us up to date with the exciting stuff!

Hopefully we can secure a 4th snowy winter in these parts although its not looking too good at the moment, so best drink some cider whilst we wait for a turn to colder weather in the meantime :drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Great to have forum back to keep an eye on the local weather. Hope you have all had a good summer/autumn! Raising a toast in cider to you all and hoping for some snow. Certainly a fair bit of rain and wind here today!

:drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Happy days my fellow bumpkins! :drinks: Nothing better than drooling over the keyboard at 2am in the morning with a bottle of Thatchers katy trying to work out if you just halucinated that snow flake that went past your lamp outside :smilz38:

Almost a third of winter does look like a write off currently but got to remain positive as winter doesn't often really start for us until january to be fair!

Lets hope for a channel low or stalling atlantic front this winter to show rest of country what a real blizzard is! :air_kiss:

Posted

Evening all :D (passes the cider around) :gathering::drunk:

Like Mullender, I to think January will be the start of our snowy winter. :)

I'm not sure if any of you know about this but here is a snow map to follow which will help us track our snow http://uksnowmap.com/

Have any of you ever had thundersnow? It's a dream of mine to see thunder and snow together. I think it's more the Se and Ne who get this though! grrrr

Posted

Woo hoo my lovelies!

I came in from work tonight and my daughter had a massive smile plastered on her face, what do you think the very first thing she said to me was?

A) Have you had a nice day mum?

B ) Would you like me to cook tea for you?

OR

C) The SW weather thread is open on Netweather?

I have raised a geek. :80:

Edited by dancing daisy

Posted

Woo hoo my lovelies!

I came in from work tonight and my daughter had a massive smile plastered on her face, what do you think the very first thing she said to me was?

A) Have you had a nice day mum?

B%20) Would you like me to cook tea for you?

OR

C) The SW weather thread is open on Netweather?

I have raised a geek. :80:

Your a true hero! :hi:

Next she will have a netweather radar subscription on her xmas list! :w00t:

Posted

Evening all, from North Bristol :drinks: Hope all are well after the long break since last Winter.

So what will Winter bring us folks? - well at the mo it looks like a Winter of two halves - North and South.

Seen many a Winter where the North gets a fair bit of cold and snow and we get next to nothing bar the scraps!

Hope that scenario is wrong, but for me, i always look to the weeks after Christmas for our area to bring cold and snow - the trouble is in most years in my lifetime they've been short cold snaps, rather than more prolonged spells like we've seen at times over the last 3 winters.

Posted

Have any of you ever had thundersnow? It's a dream of mine to see thunder and snow together. I think it's more the Se and Ne who get this though! grrrr

Yep, I experienced Thundersnow last November, I think it was the 28th. I was helping my girlfriend get her car out of the drive, it was snowing quite heavily at around 08:00 in the morning, and then whoosh, a blinding flash and huge crack of thunder. This went on and off for another couple of hours. It was the first time I ever experienced this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Winter of 2004 I think it was, in Stroud. Just before rush hour and when it was getting dark, the sky went black and there was a streak of purple lightning and very loud thunder simultaneously, and what looked like fog was rushing towards me across the park I was in. The fog was actually snow, the heaviest snow I've ever seen, and within 20 mins 4 inches of snow fell. Then it stopped. Rush hour was proper carnage after that! Only time I've seen it, I was very glad I was in it when it happened.

Posted

Hello everyone, hope all are well.

Plenty of weather to come, be it cold or not. Interesting site to share with you here - http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=brit

Decent wave heights on the north coast of our peninsula at the moment, up to 15ft high. Check out the model animation when next weeks system moves towards the UK.

Posted

Hello everyone, hope all are well.

Plenty of weather to come, be it cold or not. Interesting site to share with you here - http://www.stormsurf...play.cgi?a=brit

Decent wave heights on the north coast of our peninsula at the moment, up to 15ft high. Check out the model animation when next weeks system moves towards the UK.

I'll be down on the coast, around Godrevy this weekend taking some shots of the surf, should get some good ones.

Edited by kernowman

Posted

Thanks for your replies regarding Thundersnow. Thundersnow I understand is a rare weather phenomenon

The mystery surrounding the phenomena is intriguing.

How lucky for you both to witness this event, I have my fingers crossed that when we get our blizzards and heavy snow :winky: we will hopefully get some thundersnow thrown in with it too. :D

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Another southwester checking in!

That squall lline this evening was a damp squib here, rained for all of ten minutes and the wind was no worse than earlier in the day.

Yes, I too have experienced thundersnow here in Dorset. Can't off hand remember exactly when, but I may find it in my records...given time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Evening all.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced one of those mythical Atlantic versus cold block mega snow falls that the SW is famous for? I've now lived down here for close on 16 years and am still waiting for one to happen; everything crossed that this winter may be the year for vast drifts and awesome snow depths.

Posted

Evening all.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced one of those mythical Atlantic versus cold block mega snow falls that the SW is famous for? I've now lived down here for close on 16 years and am still waiting for one to happen; everything crossed that this winter may be the year for vast drifts and awesome snow depths.

I have never seen one my self but I have seen many photo's from some of the locals such as snow covering the hole side of the local cider house where it is up over the roof and the doorway had to be dug free for those hardy enough to want a rough cider. I have also seen pictures of people walking on the top of the hedges and cars buried in the roads.

I read in some old history of winters article once that somerset recorded massive drifting on low ground of 15ft with the mendips and exmoor recording them in excess of 30ft with only tops of trees poking through. :D

When I get some time off work Ill see if I find those records again and copy it in but I think it was late 1800's or early 1900's