Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

The thundersnow episode was January 28th 2004. Not experienced here since!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

welcome back to one and all on the southwest thread

hoping for some cold and snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

The thundersnow episode was January 28th 2004. Not experienced here since!

Cheers Lyn, :drinks:

I shall see what info I can find on that date. Interesting! :)

I see the Met Office have a weather warning out for us on Monday! Pity there's no snow with it. :nonono:

Yellow Alert of Wind for South West England : Bath and North East Somerset, Bournemouth, Bristol, Devon, Dorset, Gloucestershire, North Somerset, Poole, Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, Wiltshire, Cornwall, Plymouth, Torbay & Isles of Scilly valid from 1800 Mon 12 Dec to 1800 Tue 13 Dec

Western and southern areas of the UK are at greatest risk of very windy weather on Monday evening and during Tuesday which could lead to disruption. At this stage there is a good deal of uncertainty and the public are advised to monitor forecasts over the weekend to keep up to date with this warning.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/sw_forecast_warnings.html

Posted

We had the first wintry preciptation of the season at lunchtime with wet snowflakes mixed into the heavy rain as a rash of showers

streamed in from the Bristol Channel.

Ian Fergusson spoke of the risk of snow over high ground next week, mentioning the Cotswolds, Mendips and Exmoor - presumably Salisbury

Plain would be included too! I expect that risk would come in the showery weather in between the persistent rainbands.

Posted

Evening all, great to see this thread back.

I'm actually living back in Essex now, but I will be frequently popping by! (both in this thread and to Cheltenham).

Funnily enough im back in Cheltenham on Monday/Tuesday, which given the recent forecast update by the met office (which suggests wintry showers in the SE on Tuesday) could be an interesting drive back over the Cotswolds.

This is one of those situations where we could do with hearing from Ian F to see exactly what the UKV (or more extended NAE) is showing to prompt the met office to issue such a forecast.

Only model really showing the winds being strongest over this part of the country is the ECMWF, whic takes the strongest winds away from the north with a small wave disturbance on the southern flank of the bigger low pressure system:

http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/ecmimages/20111209/12/ecm500.072.png

http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/ecmimages/20111209/12/ecm500.096.png

Anyway another interesting weekend ahead trying to nail down the finer details

Hope everyone is well and it's great to see the regulars back

Kind regards

Kris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

only a quicky , i was invited to the weather centre in 1978 ,feb ,and that week was interesting because i spent 4 days working with the forecasters ,only days before the west country and s/w was hit by a memorable blizzard , they changed their forecast several times but came up trumps in the end . the front was slow and complex ,bristol had a good fall but down to devon and dorset a white hell . the front came to a grinding halt and swindon and glos city virtually zilch ,of course 47 and 63 history ,.back in the early 1800 hun dreds 3 very large falls over 35cms in one winter ,and 1600 s a monks diary quoted snow over3 foot deep many people perrished. 1981 1982 winter bleak on the mendips ,jan like hell . 1939 1940 jan very bleak ,latest charts look good for some arctic air inbetween next weeks deep lows , we COULD get lucky ,stay tuned ,cheers gang :drinks::rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

evening guys, chilly outside tonight!

zero wind here and have frost on shed roof already this evening, definatley :cold: ish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Looks like the first air frost approaching with my weather station at home reading 0.1C at present. Bit milder here in Egham but hoping to see a frost here too by the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I have just looked at met office regional for monday tuesday ect and its looking promising!

They have sleet simbols for us..... :drinks: maybe Ian is on to somthing although I shall not get hopes up too high just yet because the track and strengh of these lows changes from run to run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

This storm system moving in on Monday night looks prettty scary! I'm not sure if we'll get any snow, but the winds are going to be quite violent.. stay safe all.

Posted

I live in Magor in south wales, am Bristolian though, I live just the first junction off the new severn bridge (about 15 mins drive from the M5 junction 23 portishead services). Although I live in South Wales, because I am so near to Bristol (can see it over the channel from my bedroom window), I tend to get the south west weather as opposed to the weather forecast for south wales. so Yep,,,, I call myself a south westerner lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Does anyone actually live in the south west?

No. We're all scraping a barely there existence whilst the landscape is still a mucky brownie/green colour. The instant it all turns white outside, then we'll be living life to the full, the scrumpy will be out and the fun and games will begin.

Posted

still a chance looking at met office this morning...

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Tuesday very windy with frequent showers, possibly snow on hills. Windy with further showers on Wednesday. Very strong winds, heavy rain spreading from the west later on Thursday.

Updated: 0230 on Sun 11 Dec 2011

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

yes its interesting to see the cold zonal coming in after the low and staying for most of the wk there wil be troughs in the flow also and i for several days its indicated the potential for seet/snow faling . hopefully on the higher ground we'l get something decent.

Posted

Absolutely piddling down here atm! Looks like a short burst and a gap before more, but less intense, rain later.

Posted

• Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday
    Chilly and very windy on Tuesday and Wednesday with frequent showers, these wintry over the Mendips. More settled at first on Thursday, but wet and stormy weather likely by evening.

:yahoo: :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

popped into weston today ,called into shop for bread .sold out ,people have been buying extra because of storms ,reminds me of winter 1981/82 my sister inlaws shop was stripped bair .anyhow , mon night /tues looks game on for our area ,but will be fine tuned tomorrow by met office . as for friday it could go severall ways but latest charts are still on track ,if food runs out i will be going down thatchers cider over the fence job , :drinks::help: a nice little line of showers just to our w/sw ,cheers

if it turns wintry over the MENDIPS i will be up there, willgo to see moth inlaw on mendip motorway ,instead of chew way ,bring it on , :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Wind gusts for tomorrow night here seem to be widely 50mph or more so I wouldn't be suprised to see twigs and maybe even branches on roads by tuesday mourning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Hi all, I'm back too!

Don't think it's Tuesday we should be worrying about, Friday is much more of a concern, although its a few days away, could be downgraded but from what I've read, it's looking nasty.

I know I shouldn't be but I'm quite excited by the prospect of some exciting weather. We will see what we get. It may well go to the north of us yet, but a few days glued to the models me thinks...

Kate

Posted

popped into weston today ,called into shop for bread .sold out ,people have been buying extra because of storms ,reminds me of winter 1981/82 my sister inlaws shop was stripped bair .anyhow , mon night /tues looks game on for our area ,but will be fine tuned tomorrow by met office . as for friday it could go severall ways but latest charts are still on track ,if food runs out i will be going down thatchers cider over the fence job , :drinks::help: a nice little line of showers just to our w/sw ,cheers

if it turns wintry over the MENDIPS i will be up there, willgo to see moth inlaw on mendip motorway ,instead of chew way ,bring it on , :good:

I'm stocked up with extra Thatchers, just in case(s)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Hi all, I'm back too!

Don't think it's Tuesday we should be worrying about, Friday is much more of a concern, although its a few days away, could be downgraded but from what I've read, it's looking nasty.

I know I shouldn't be but I'm quite excited by the prospect of some exciting weather. We will see what we get. It may well go to the north of us yet, but a few days glued to the models me thinks...

Kate

Friday has been downgraded a lot by the latest models thankfully, however, there is still the potential for gales to severe gales in our area, just hopefully nothing more than that!

I see our Ian Fergusson has been tweeting about a low possibility of snow this week, although the storms have obviously been taking more of the headlines!

Someone showed an interesting chart a minute ago in the model discussion thread, showed snow around Bristol, North Somerset on Tuesday! You never know! Lol!