Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New English Regional Discussion Threads

Posted

At 11am, if I pressed the right button, there'll be a new set of regional discussion threads for England opening up.

The regions are:-

The Far North (NE & Cumbria)

The North West

Yorkshire

Lincolnshire and East Anglia

The Midlands

London and the South East

The South of England

South West England

Decide which region fits you best and enjoy.

The threads for Scotland, Wales and Ireland will carry on while the existing English threads will close shortly after 11am.

Posted

Would rather have the olds threads tbh. At least till there is widespread cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Tecnically the thread that suites my location is the NW England thread as i recieve the BBC North West Tonight programme and i would say that 80% of the time the weather is most similar to what Manchester experiences, if a degree or so cooler, however im a stones throw away from the Look North region and the traditional boundary (which everyone who was born in this area still goes by and no one really recognises the 'Greater Manchester' area) places me a few miles into West Yorkshire and even Oldham council's new signposts recognise that boundary now which they had previously refusd to do, but more importantly there are weather circumstances in which i would be more inclined to post in the Yorkshire thread as well, feb 1st 2009 would have been one had i been here and not Manchester then as Saddleworth had depths of over a foot in some places and i suffered in Manchester City centre with 18 hours of snizzle and nothingness so i may vary which thread i use this winter.

Posted

My original post (2nd post) came across incorrectly what I meant was I prefer the Northern England Thread, Scotland thread etc.

And just as I suspected the Yorkshire thread is empty even though there is a chance of snow here, snow just isn't widespread enough for regional threads.

:cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

My original post (2nd post) came across incorrectly what I meant was I prefer the Northern England Thread, Scotland thread etc.

And just as I suspected the Yorkshire thread is empty even though there is a chance of snow here, snow just isn't widespread enough for regional threads.

:cray:

The Midlands thread has 20 pages, the North West thread has had 38 pages overall. Even the sparsely populated Far North thread has had 12 pages... I'd imagine the lack of posts in yours is due to some deciding to pick the Midlands and NW threads instead of Yorks one, and the fact that shower activity has not been as strong in your region.

I'd say the regionals are around what i'd expect under such conditions.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Hello those in charge, top job, many thanks and all that.

However, I can't find a current London and SE regional thread. Not that I have anything interesting to post tonight (which may in the view of many be no different to any other night), other than it is blinkin' mild again, but I would have liked the opportunity to post such meaningless trivia and have someone reply in vaguely sympathetic form....

I do not rule out the possibility that this is entirely attributable to user error in which case I am, in anticipation of being told off, sorry.

Thanks

AS

Posted

Hello those in charge, top job, many thanks and all that.

However, I can't find a current London and SE regional thread. Not that I have anything interesting to post tonight (which may in the view of many be no different to any other night), other than it is blinkin' mild again, but I would have liked the opportunity to post such meaningless trivia and have someone reply in vaguely sympathetic form....

I do not rule out the possibility that this is entirely attributable to user error in which case I am, in anticipation of being told off, sorry.

Thanks

AS

During quieter periods the English regionals are condensed and have threads covering wider areas. This is to prevent the discussions being spread too thin. Theres no London and SE thread for the moment, but there is a Southern England thread which covers your area.

Posted

During quieter periods the English regionals are condensed and have threads covering wider areas. This is to prevent the discussions being spread too thin. Theres no London and SE thread for the moment, but there is a Southern England thread which covers your area.

Thanks Reef, that makes perfect sense, I shall now annoy those to the west of me with my ramblings.

AS

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Am i right in thinking the Southern England thread is exactly that?

So anything south of (maybe) the M4 is in one thread, from the far stretches of Kent through to Devon (and possibly beyond as I see no SW postings)?

Does that really work, and area that has a multitude of climates, if it snows in kent at the same time it could easily be +8C or more in Devon/Cornwall.

It works if you post what's going on, but fails horrible if your talking about forecasting conditions.

Just a thought.....

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Yes, that's right, just as the north of England thread covers anywhere from Derbyshire up to the Scottish Borders, etc. When the weather gets more interesting, we'll bring back the smaller regions, but while nothing much is happening, they weren't proving viable.

Posted

Yes, that's right, just as the north of England thread covers anywhere from Derbyshire up to the Scottish Borders, etc. When the weather gets more interesting, we'll bring back the smaller regions, but while nothing much is happening, they weren't proving viable.

Thanks