Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Had An Air Frost Yet?

Backtrack

85 members have voted

1. 1. What has your lowest temperature been since September?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Anyone who still hasn't had an airfrost yet? If it were me, and the weather was set to be mild mush forever, I'd just hope it were so mild that I don't get one all winter! That would be interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

0.0C has been my minimum.

That's right. It's January 5th and I've not seen a minus figure on my weather station since last January....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

0.0C has been my minimum.

That's right. It's January 5th and I've not seen a minus figure on my weather station since last January....

:o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I doubt that BT there was widespread minus figures last March, and that will include your area.

Posted

I doubt that BT there was widespread minus figures last March, and that will include your area.

Don't remember that myself, and I've since gotten a new laptop, the data on my old hard drive will have been deleted, as I took it apart and sold it.

Probably right though, but it's still a long time since I've had an air frost!

Posted

Managed to squeeze the 13th air frost of the winter out last night, but that was the first since Dec 18th! By this time last year, we'd had over 600 air frosts....or something like that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

8 air frosts here so far this winter, all of them in December. The closest approach this month so far was 0.6c on the 2nd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

*wanders in quietly and says in quiet voice*

Erm, what is the difference between frost and air frost? :blush:

*shuffles out of thread embarassed*

Posted

Air frost is when the temperature falls below freezing point, so you can see why Backtrack is annoyed, coming down to 0.0c but not -0.1c

Edited by Aaron

Posted

8 air frosts here so far this winter, all of them in December. The closest approach this month so far was 0.6c on the 2nd.

it would be your idea of hell living here so far this winter TM, so far we've managed just two air frosts (-0.3C and -0.7C) and havent even seen any sleet or snow falling, never mind lying at 0900. Only 9 days have had mins below 2C aswell.

The min so far this month is 1.9C set this morning.

Posted

it would be your idea of hell living here so far this winter TM, so far we've managed just two air frosts (-0.3C and -0.7C) and havent even seen any sleet or snow falling, never mind lying at 0900. Only 9 days have had mins below 2C aswell.

The min so far this month is 1.9C set this morning.

Reading this makes me appreciate what I've got, Reef. At least the polar maritime outbreaks in December delivered some sleet, snow and frost here, even if it wasn't as much as I'd have liked. 8 mornings with lying snow so far this winter and 19 days with sleet or snow falling.

As I posted on the 'moaning about winter' thread I could live without the snow if the weather stayed as it's been so far in January for the whole season. I love rain and gales almost as much as snow and frost.

Posted

Just 8 air frosts here for the season - all in December. Average would be over 20 by now (including autumn).

Last air frost was on 19th December. Since then the lowest temp I've recorded has been 0.0C on 30th December with +0.4C the lowest so far in January. Truly abysmal :nonono:

Posted

Not sure if we managed an air frost last night but there was a ground frost - the first since 18th December. I'm expecting the number of frosts to increase rapidly from mid month onwards, its always difficult to achieve a frost when winds come in off the atlantic - so its not surprising many have had little frost so far this winter, but its by no means unusual at this stage in the winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Lauren, a frost is a ground frost usually, meaning when the ground temperature is lower than 0c (usually on a grass surface)... While an air frost is one where your sensor is located (between 1.25m to 2m above the ground).

Posted

It's looking likely that Monday night will be another close but no cigar situation with the minimum being recorded before 00:00 for around the 10th time this winter...

Should drop to 2/3C before cloud spills in around 00:00.

And then, I can't even see where the next frosts may come from in the charts.

Can't even remember the last time I was this bored with the weather. It's pretty horrible really.

Posted

Reading this makes me appreciate what I've got, Reef. At least the polar maritime outbreaks in December delivered some sleet, snow and frost here, even if it wasn't as much as I'd have liked. 8 mornings with lying snow so far this winter and 19 days with sleet or snow falling.

As I posted on the 'moaning about winter' thread I could live without the snow if the weather stayed as it's been so far in January for the whole season. I love rain and gales almost as much as snow and frost.

do your family think just a little odd TM?

Posted

do your family think just a little odd TM?

Absolutely, John, particularly the good Mrs Terminal who prefers bright, sunny days which are neither too warm nor too cold.

However with my family, as on this forum, I keep my delight in what most other people think of as horrible weather fairly low key as I have no wish to exacerbate other people's misery.

On the other hand my 'oddness' is tolerated with great good humour as I've been 'doing the weather' for longer than any of them can remember and I'm always good for a forecast when there's washing to hang out, day trips to go on, picnics to have etc etc.

Posted

Absolutely, John, particularly the good Mrs Terminal who prefers bright, sunny days which are neither too warm nor too cold.

However with my family, as on this forum, I keep my delight in what most other people think of as horrible weather fairly low key as I have no wish to exacerbate other people's misery.

On the other hand my 'oddness' is tolerated with great good humour as I've been 'doing the weather' for longer than any of them can remember and I'm always good for a forecast when there's washing to hang out, day trips to go on, picnics to have etc etc.

thanks TM I certainly admire your detailed and accurate data sets, maybe you should join COL and we can see them all then?

Posted

thanks TM I certainly admire your detailed and accurate data sets, maybe you should join COL and we can see them all then?

Already in it John, since about 1976. Middleton in Derbyshire.

If you're wondering why I've got 330 mts in my signature and 321 mts for the COL site it's because the screen and rain gauge are at 321 mts but the wind speed readings are taken at 340mts on the plateau so 330 is 'halfway house'

Posted

Already in it John, since about 1976. Middleton in Derbyshire.

If you're wondering why I've got 330 mts in my signature and 321 mts for the COL site it's because the screen and rain gauge are at 321 mts but the wind speed readings are taken at 340mts on the plateau so 330 is 'halfway house'

many thanks for that I had wondered who it was, all is now clear, many thanks

Posted

4.4C here, could FINALLY be my first air frost of the winter tonight.

Knowing my luck, it'll rise after midnight again. :(

Posted

I don't think we're really supposed to get an air frost tonight.. Friday - Tuesday for sure though

Posted

I don't think we're really supposed to get an air frost tonight.. Friday - Tuesday for sure though

Yep, I know. But the conditions favour one tonight in my area.

Clear skies, light winds and a fairly decent decline rate.

Posted

Well I can see the moon, although it seems a bit hazy. There's no wind, and yet again no frost. The lowest this winter is about -2, but that disguises the fact that it has never stayed below freezing for more than about 3-4 hours. The number of clear but non-freezing nights (even near the winter solstice) has been ridiculous. Late Nov and Dec 2010 we managed 3-4 consecutive days below freezing miore than once.....