Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Snow

Posted

yeah, but too mild at just 103m asl, heavy snow shower only left sugar dusting, temp at 0.4C

Youl be fine in heavier bursts :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Finally a thin dustings worth.

Yes thats all it is at the moment-stopped now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

It's an actual miracle, there is a dusting of snow on the ground in Leicester :rofl:

At last,lol.

Was wondering if you had finally got some snow--just a dusting here too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Yeah thats it for today looking at the radar. Still really happy with it, was expecting nothing. Snow isn't even wet, nice dry snow, decent size flakes too. Definitely one of them events where places a few miles away probably had nothing. Feel sorry for those guys but i'm sure they will get there turn.

Seems odd how the precip is suddenly taking a much more southerly trend, it was barely going to hit leicester as of about 2 hours ago, and now its nearly 50miles south.

Heres another HD video from me in Leicester

Edited by kmanmx

Posted

We got a sugar dusting here too.

May sound preverted, but I was sort of hoping not to see any snow before new year so as I could have said I've seen 12 months without any..............buggered that one up now hasn't it?! :p

Posted

Thanks

Nikon D80 + Nikkor 50mm Prime

F2.5

1/60th Sec

ISO 500 (I know, pretty high, didn't have a lot of choice to pull that shot off)

Great stuff! Looking to upgrade mine soon...

Youre right about ISO but its a difficult dealing with snow, especialy trying to focus on an entity whilst you wou like to keep the falling snow appear in shape (unlike fast moving snizzley in ordinary cams)

If you do get any further hevier showers, try putting the shutter speed around 1/500 or even more and adapt the iris to this setting. Youl find it picks up all the flakes amazingly although the background will become dark. Worth a try :D

Posted

Great stuff! Looking to upgrade mine soon...

Youre right about ISO but its a difficult dealing with snow, especialy trying to focus on an entity whilst you wou like to keep the falling snow appear in shape (unlike fast moving snizzley in ordinary cams)

If you do get any further hevier showers, try putting the shutter speed around 1/500 or even more and adapt the iris to this setting. Youl find it picks up all the flakes amazingly although the background will become dark. Worth a try :D

1/500th.. I'd need high ISO and about F1.8, only a few inches will be in focus lol !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

it's 9am and finally snowing in Northampton. Well a few flakes which you could count on your hands, so nothing to get excited about. Even the frost is starting to melt. Temperatures must be rising rapidly. Great winter this is turning out to be. When it's mild we get the rain and when it's cold, we get the dry. No win situation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Youl be fine in heavier bursts :D

I very much doubt it TBH...just had a heavy shower here, and it was rain all the way

Posted

1/500th.. I'd need high ISO and about F1.8, only a few inches will be in focus lol !

Thats the whole point, its worth a try in heavy falling snow!

Posted

Was starting to get excited then, but if its rain just north of us we've got no chance.

Sums up this cooler spell prefectly really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

beautiful frosty morning here, so it looks very festive even if it isn't snow! Kind of hoping no showers come my way since they appear to be rain to the North of me and it will wash away the frost.

Posted

Thats the whole point, its worth a try in heavy falling snow!

I guess. Too late now, no more snow. Come back next winter, Leicester doesn't have more than one snow day a year :p

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

my god, i can't believe it. it is actually snowing quite heavily in Northampton... okay only for 5 minutes, but that's better than nothing. Only a few flakes now though. video evidence to follow.

Posted

Well that was brief. Frost all gone and everything just looks wet now.

So into the mild spell we go then (sigh), although the end of cold spells is normally disappointing, I'm glad to see the back of these north-westerlies.

If it must be mild, at least lets have some interest to go with it. Maybe in the form of gales and rain, or record breaking high temperatures.

Lets at least have an interesting mild spell and not a boring one!

Quite annoying really, reading through the regional threads, seems to be snow everywhere except here in the A449 corridor south of Stafford!

Posted

You're not alone Gord - nothing at all here yet - and hoping for nothing today as I'd rather a whole calendar year without snow, than for a brief fall of wet stuff that doesn't settle! Mind, a lovey sunny, frosty morning :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

And here Gord - yet to see a flake in this corner of Warwickshire!

Posted

Suns came out looks stunning.

But at the same time, it's melting it, go away sun !

Posted

First snowfall of the winter, about a cm.on roads/cars but nothing on grass...strange.

Clouds are clearing now and it's getting brighter. Nothing compared to last year but it's a surprise! :)