Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Snow

Posted

Another covering on the cars this morning. I've told the girls to make the most of the snow, as it could be some time before we see any again !

yep the xmas period looks very mild.. then again ian, didnt you say we would not see any snow in December :D

Posted

I have seen snow flakes falling here this December...very briefly though.

I can't claim a snowless year anyway, that was ruined in the first week of January when we had that early morning snow to rain event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

got a covering here in Northampton

Yep, about the same here in MK - started off as graupel but turned to light snow, settled on the frost so all surfaces have an 'icing sugar' dusting - looks very festive !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Reports from back home that is snowing + sticking...

They're having you on...It's not snowing or sticking in Lichfield I'm afraid, radar is clear atm

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Had a brief shower of rain about 15 mins ago, but that looks like it for now.

Think I'm done on the forum for a bit now. I'll be back if anything interesting appears in the models or the mild spell gives us something remarkable...something like a good gale or stupidly high temperatures.

Thanks for all the input, help and discussion throughout this northwesterly spell. The weather might not be as good as last year, (escpecially this very day!) but every winter is heartening to see that people on here have the same level of enthusiasm as ever!

Edited by Gord

Posted

What a useless cold spell, finally get below freezing last night just about and then the showers arrive this morning as guess what, RAIN!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

It was around 8.30-9.00?

Ah right...just checked the radar archive, and indeed there was ppn in your area at that time, quite a hefty shower, it produced rain here (would you believe it!) but the radar overlay (based on GFS modelling I believe) showed the ppn as snow, so quite feasible that Lichfield had some snowy stuff :)

What a useless cold spell, finally get below freezing last night just about and then the showers arrive this morning as guess what, RAIN!

I'm with you, even the cheshire gap affair has been poor for our locale, funny isn't it how a few miles to the north had plenty of snowy action...it's a conspiracy!

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Here's an idea that could inspire some of you folk down here. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=206636917279838344801.0004b43b92b63f7ec3195&msa=0&ll=56.535258,-4.658203&spn=6.58271,19.753418

Hope you all get the snow you want. It could be the last time you'll see it in 2011 (or the first).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Nothing here :(

I've just looked back through the radar sequence and the showers died just before hitting Nottingham, then intensified again after Nottingham.

Good to see other parts getting snow anyway.

Posted

Ah right...just checked the radar archive, and indeed there was ppn in your area at that time, quite a hefty shower, it produced rain here (would you believe it!) but the radar overlay (based on GFS modelling I believe) showed the ppn as snow, so quite feasible that Lichfield had some snowy stuff :)

I'm with you, even the cheshire gap affair has been poor for our locale, funny isn't it how a few miles to the north had plenty of snowy action...it's a conspiracy!

I'm not sure why theres been such a lack of wintriness here considering the good thickness's and reasonable upper's?

I would of thought it would of been due to winds coming in off such a mild Irish sea for the time of year but Cheshire, Crewe etc managed to get some snowy weather, at least there's still January & February (another March 2006 would be nice to).

Posted

re. Snow this morning in Lichfield, I was outside picking up my newspaper just before 9am and it definately was not snow, a little sleetiness perhaps and there was black ice on the ground. Since then just rain showers.

I would also like to add that in my experience snow before christmas was always a bonus, winter proper often only got going after new year - though not always of course!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

2cm of lying snow here this morning. There's been a bit of a thaw in full sun but the snow is untouched in the shade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

this Dec been quite good, seen sleet/wet snow, 6 sub zero minimums, 6 slippy mornings, frost and ice, I like the 06Z going for high pressure, could be very cold around Xmas if the high can get far enough north

Posted

Very brief hailshower, lasted all but 2 mins! Clear sky to the north west now.

Posted

clear skies is preventing thaw of snow away from sunlight unlike yesterday. Will be a very icey night

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

My take on the coming week up to the Big Day!

Weather guide for west Wales and the central Midlands December 19th to Christmas Day 2011

Headline: Often mild; quite unsettled with some rain at times. A Green Christmas

This weeks guide is less of a headache than the last- with a much more straight forward set up!

Clear and frosty tonight, especially in the Midlands, the frost will have gone before dawn though in west Wales.

Monday will be somewhat milder than of late with a succession of troughs crossing the UK bringing spells of rain to all parts.Quite windy.

Clearing on Monday evening, but probably too much breeze for much in the way of frost, and a few showers keep going for west Wales.

The brief ridge gives a dry and possibly frosty start to Tuesday, but cloud increases during the afternoon, although rain should hold off until the evening, so, a dry bright day for the Midlands.

From Tuesday night we are in very mild Tropical maritime air, flowing between a large high to our south and a mid Atlantic low pressure system. Some rain or drizzle at times Tuesday night through to early Friday really, although very little for the Midlands, where it may also brighten from time to time, but a mostly cloudy and rather damp spell for west Wales. Very mild, temperatures above 11c both Wednesday and Thursday.

The. by now, weak cold front finally gets through later on Friday, bringing a spell of rain, but probably not much again for the Midlands, and also a cool down, with the chance of a slight frost first thing on Christmas Eve.

The big day looks like seeing a mild west or SW flow over us, so no snow or even frost, most definitely a Green Christmas!

For supportive model charts see the Welsh thread:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/71920-wales-regional-weather-discussion-snow/page__st__420

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Cheshire Gap never got going for here. Weve had a couple of rain showers recently but the snow passed to our NE. Slightly disappointed with this spell tbh as there were numerous chances. When the Cheshire Gap did deliver it was rain. However plenty of winter left but there is now a very good chance of going 1 whole year without snow laying on the ground!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

It's rare for you to be downbeat about a cold spell AJ! It's even rarer that Leicester should see more snow than your location during it!! Granted it was only a 0.5c dusting this morning but the whole road, pavements and rooftops were white before it started melting about 11am.