Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Un-forecast Snow Pictures - Cheshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Hi.

Today we had 2 inches of un-forecast snow, and the temperature has been hovering around 0C all day.

Here are some pictures I have taken on the local field. Enjoy! :)

img0158jk.jpg

img0159sc.jpg

img0160n.jpg

img0161d.jpg

img0164to.jpg

img0165lfu.jpg

img0166vp.jpg

Got plenty more. All taken with my iPhone, but will post later. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sunny Days, Summer evening Thunderstorms, Snow and Cold.

Great pics and video.. It's nearly a year to the day (Friday 17th December 2010) since our last great dumping of snow..I hope we have more events like this within the next few weeks!! :clapping:

It has been great today for us in the North West!!

Posted

Great pics and video.. It's nearly a year to the day (Friday 17th December 2010) since our last great dumping of snow..I hope we have more events like this within the next few weeks!! :clapping:

It has been great today for us in the North West!!

Thanks mate!

Yes, what a way to start my Christmas holiday! Hopefully a surface low will develop tonight. Conditions are ripe now as the temperature & dew are plummeting.

More snow = more pics. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Nice! Looks like you've got more than I had this morning, and mine all melted this afternoon.

Posted

Nice! Looks like you've got more than I had this morning, and mine all melted this afternoon.

I was expecting a little more though with the size of the flakes I had.

If only it would not of been sleet this morning to wet the ground, there would be almost double that amount! :o

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I was expecting a little more though with the size of the flakes I had.

If only it would not of been sleet this morning to wet the ground, there would be almost double that amount! :o

Yeah, could easily have been 10-15cm of the stuff piled up today had the profile been more favourable

Posted
Yeah, could easily have been 10-15cm of the stuff piled up today had the profile been more favourable

Still, a bonus to what I thought would be a dry day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Not quite 2 inches, but nice pics BT :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Not quite 2 inches, but nice pics BT :good:

There must be 3-4cm though which is an inch and a half, not bad for coastal NW England!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

There must be 3-4cm though which is an inch and a half, not bad for coastal NW England!

Around 2cm I reckon, the pic below was 5cm of snowfall and everything is much thicker and white.

post-9615-0-34037200-1324052163_thumb.jp

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Yep, around 2cm there I would say (just under one inch),

The fact that grass blades are still clearly visible indicates this.

Posted

4.9CM on the grass, inch and a bit on the paths.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I am pleased for you guys in the NW who got some decent snow today--some good pics too.

It`s ironic for us Midlanders who had expected something out of the overnight low which didn`t produce--except over a few hills-then you get more from minor disturbances in the polar flow.

As Ian said surface conditions were not that promising but it shows what evaporative cooling in heavier percipitation can do when there is even a modest amount of cold aloft.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Nice piccies BT...the hi-res models did pick up on the cheshire gap effect today, a shame the media didn't! :)

Posted

As Ian said surface conditions were not that promising but it shows what evaporative cooling in heavier percipitation can do when there is even a modest amount of cold aloft.

Actually the conditions were better than expected for snow to fall at low levels. Snow was reported in a lot of places in NW England and weren't just restricted to heavier bursts. We actually had a covering here earlier this morning. So obviously even ground conditions were good enough.

Good pictures by the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yes the profile looked unfavourable earlier - just shows how much PPN the Cheshire Gap set-up generates from what looks like a fairly innocuous starting point.

Yes Ian, it's by far the best mechanism for achieving snow in this location- especially with a decent upper air profile.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Great Pictures & Nice Video! Really does look like a beautiful landscape even more when it becomes white!

Posted

Around 2cm I reckon, the pic below was 5cm of snowfall and everything is much thicker and white.

lol I would say thats 2-3 cm of snow what you posted and BT looks like 0.5 cm of snow. That doesn't account for any later snowfall mind so BT probably did see 5 cm in the end.

For example this is 5-6 cm of snow that fell last February (2011).

54876689.png

22345584.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Lol nice to see I wasn't the only one who got some snow when none was forecast last week! (I've made a topic on my pictures)

Is it me or was the cold shot last week really unpredictable (more so than normal).

Posted

Lol nice to see I wasn't the only one who got some snow when none was forecast last week! (I've made a topic on my pictures)

Is it me or was the cold shot last week really unpredictable (more so than normal).

The cold spell was predicted by Roger J Smith back in Late October and forecasts from other organisations supported it closer to the time, but some of the snowfalls during the cold spell really weren't predicted well and even I had some kind of an un-forecast snowfall that I took some pics of.

I think the BBC tried to restrict light, local snow showers restricted to higher ground and north wester coastal areas and played down the snow shower activity. The BBC did not forecast snowfall for my location around the 16th as they predicted rain and hill snow to be around the SW corner of Scotland and parts of NI. The result was an organised area of snow that moved northwards into Central Belt (and the forecast confirmed that they weren't expecting anything north Ayr) during the early hours before reaching it's northern most limit. It dumped 2-3 cm that stayed for 5 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

The cold spell was predicted by Roger J Smith back in Late October and forecasts from other organisations supported it closer to the time, but some of the snowfalls during the cold spell really weren't predicted well and even I had some kind of an un-forecast snowfall that I took some pics of.

I think the BBC tried to restrict light, local snow showers restricted to higher ground and north wester coastal areas and played down the snow shower activity. The BBC did not forecast snowfall for my location around the 16th as they predicted rain and hill snow to be around the SW corner of Scotland and parts of NI. The result was an organised area of snow that moved northwards into Central Belt (and the forecast confirmed that they weren't expecting anything north Ayr) during the early hours before reaching it's northern most limit. It dumped 2-3 cm that stayed for 5 days.

No hourly forecasts predicted snow which occured for me on the morning of the 18th, although it was very localised in my region as I live about ten miles from Leicester City, but very little to no snow occured in most parts of the city, and some of the villages surrounding mine got a significantly different amount. All in all I think my village actually got the best of the conditions in a ten to twenty mile radius of my house, and it sort of made up for the disappointment of not getting anything on the 15/16th when snow was forecast all night. It was great to wake up to and has made my outlook on December better than I thought it would be initially.

Edited by Tellow