Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands, East Anglia and Three Counties Regional Discussion - Part 4

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Oh dear a bit quiet in here in the EA room, well at least I should get to the bar easily :smiliz19:

It's happy hour as well Chris so even better :drinks:

Nice to see we're back in single figures after that rain passed though, the temperature really fell quickly here - it certainly was a cold front ...if only it had been cold enough to fall as snow !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

My hopes were not in vain. Several sharp and squally showers of sleet since 1730 with the temp' around 2.8c and a maximum gust of 59 mph at 1727. Perhaps a few more to come by the look of the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

My hopes were not in vain. Several sharp and squally showers of sleet since 1730 with the temp' around 2.8c and a maximum gust of 59 mph at 1727. Perhaps a few more to come by the look of the radar.

shows how warm it was if your elevation only saw rain, still autumn really now,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What I'd like to know is: when it's cold enough for snow my location's dry as a bone, but when there's rain about, the heavens open. What's the mechanism?

I've just driven back through rain which, if it were snow would have given a couple of feet in half an hour. I don't understand it as it starts off as snow up in the clouds and it all comes from the same place.

Edited by Iceni

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

shows how warm it was if your elevation only saw rain, still autumn really now,

But it isnt. :lol:

Just standard Winter fare really.

It's happy hour as well Chris so even better :drinks:

Nice to see we're back in single figures after that rain passed though, the temperature really fell quickly here - it certainly was a cold front ...if only it had been cold enough to fall as snow !!

Yes just been outside and with that gusty wind and a temperature of 4.2c it certainly feels rather cold tonight, agree that was a good cold front, plenty of rain and wind.

Posted

Certainly a chilly evening out there. Saw a gritter when in Wolverhampton about an hour ago. This quick chilly blast tonight is the best we'll get for seasonal weather for now, maybe something similar midweek next week. Hardly inspiring.

As for the models this evening...awful again as they have been recently.

But seeing it's Christmas, lets try and get some positives out of the outlook for now.

First of all, it should stay dry in our part of the country...and if we can get some sunshine it may actually feel quite pleasant outside. Next positive is that we can all go ahead with out xmas plans without planning around ice and snow.

However, the biggest positive of all is the date that I am typing this on. A date that falls nearer the start of the winter. I don't need to say anymore than that!

Anyway, chin up everyone. Merry Christmas to everyone in the Midlands and I'm sure we'll all be back in here during the new year discussing frost and fog and snow and ice and the Cheshire gap and how it must be Leicester's turn soon and why does Stoke keep nicking all of the snow....and maybe even the phrase 'north of the M4' will pop up at some point!

Edit: And if we do get snow this winter...for crying out loud give Telford and Shrewsbury some this time!

Edited by Gord

Posted

More sleet showers at the moment, the temp' just won't fall enough for snow, currently 2.4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Drop of nearly 6C in 15 minutes, 11.2C down to 5.6C. Happy Christmas to all in the Midlands thread and better prospects for wintery weather in the new year. Been on my death bed for a few days despite the flu jab. Another christmas ruined.

You had it too? I was laid up in bed from Sunday till Tuesday with it lol, felt as weak as a kitten.

Merry Christmas to all my fellow Weather nuts :) Lets hope the Weather improves (SNOW!) after New Year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

What I'd like to know is: when it's cold enough for snow my location's dry as a bone, but when there's rain about, the heavens open. What's the mechanism?

I've just driven back through rain which, if it were snow would have given a couple of feet in half an hour. I don't understand it as it starts off as snow up in the clouds and it all comes from the same place.

Snow forecasting is one of the more difficult challenges for meteorologists, this is part of the fun and frustration that makes snow so interesting, have a read here.....

http://forum.netweat...-forecast-snow/

http://forum.netweat...-winter-setups/

http://forum.netweat...er-snow-setups/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Snow forecasting is one of the more difficult challenges for meteorologists, this is part of the fun and frustration that makes snow so interesting, have a read here.....

http://forum.netweat...-forecast-snow/

http://forum.netweat...-winter-setups/

http://forum.netweat...er-snow-setups/

Yes and very true MK,Funny thing is stats can be right but we get sleet, Then when it shows wet snow and rain,We can get Snow. However i think our thread will do well in the coming days and weeks.

JASON

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

What i dont understand is m/o has a max for me of 11 christmas day and n/w has a max of 6??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Certainly a chilly evening out there. Saw a gritter when in Wolverhampton about an hour ago. This quick chilly blast tonight is the best we'll get for seasonal weather for now, maybe something similar midweek next week. Hardly inspiring.

As for the models this evening...awful again as they have been recently.

But seeing it's Christmas, lets try and get some positives out of the outlook for now.

First of all, it should stay dry in our part of the country...and if we can get some sunshine it may actually feel quite pleasant outside. Next positive is that we can all go ahead with out xmas plans without planning around ice and snow.

However, the biggest positive of all is the date that I am typing this on. A date that falls nearer the start of the winter. I don't need to say anymore than that!

Anyway, chin up everyone. Merry Christmas to everyone in the Midlands and I'm sure we'll all be back in here during the new year discussing frost and fog and snow and ice and the Cheshire gap and how it must be Leicester's turn soon and why does Stoke keep nicking all of the snow....and maybe even the phrase 'north of the M4' will pop up at some point!

Edit: And if we do get snow this winter...for crying out loud give Telford and Shrewsbury some this time!

and stafford matey, last time I has snow on ground 7th Jan, beginning to wonder if Ian's modern eera is true, last 2 years just a fluke really, even last winter mid Jan onwards mainly mild

Posted

What i dont understand is m/o has a max for me of 11 christmas day and n/w has a max of 6??

Not totally sure though with a SW'ly flow and mainly cloudy skies (odd bright interval possible), I would go with the MetOffice's predictions for tomorrow, could get up to 11-12C and maybe even a little higher if there are some sunny intervals. Boxing day looks even milder, temperatures could get up to 14C, which is exceptional for this time of year!

It's a shame this Christmas is going to be mild, especially after last Christmas when there was snow on the ground and temperatures stayed below freezing in many places. Hopefully, January and February will deliver in terms of cold and snow.

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

and stafford matey, last time I has snow on ground 7th Jan, beginning to wonder if Ian's modern eera is true, last 2 years just a fluke really, even last winter mid Jan onwards mainly mild

To expect the last 2 years over and over again is plain silly. 2009 and 2010 were Exceptional.

What we have had so far this December is very normal, a bit of SW'ly, a bit of W'ly and some NW'ly winds! Whilst snow wise it hasnt quite delivered yet its been rather close. Anyway we have 2 full months of winter yet with wintry weather also extending into March maybe April some years so loads of chances left. I know you will now say any snow will melt quicker with the strengthening sun but we cant have it perfect like 2010 every year! :)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Come on Mark, let's not get into that pile of the brown stuff again! The simple idea of the M.E. is absurd in itself.

The over-reactions regarding "how bad" this winter is by some just show how lucky we have been in the past few years. So far this has been a relatively normal winter. A few storms, bit of snow, a bit of mild. We're an island with a prevailing wind that comes from the tropics - we're not going to be a tundra every year. This is just a bog standard British winter so far IMO. I'm as gutted as any snow lover that we haven't had much snow so far, but the last couple of years are up there with the best winters/cold spells in living memory.

Edit: Blizzards beat me to it! There is still plenty of winter to go.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
Posted · Hidden by shotski, December 24, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by shotski, December 24, 2011 - No reason given

Mmmmm Qiute in here

Posted

A few showers here in the last hour and a half but nothing wintry to report as the temperature has climbed to 4.6c

It feels decidedly chilly though with a 25 mph SW wind.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the area of low pressure scheduled for the middle of the week, a shift southward it its track could make things interesting, although that's more a hope than an expectation.

Posted

I'd just like to wish everyone a very merry Christmas and New Year! :)

I'm going skiing again on Boxing day (to Italy) so I won't be on the forum again until after the New Year.

Kind regards,

Ben.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Happy Christmas & a happy new year to you Ben, Hope that Euro high shifts so you see some decent snow down there.

Off to the French alps end of Jan so hoping for -25 and 8ft of snow LOL.

Posted

Merry Christmas, Ben. Enjoy your holiday. And Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to everyone else in 3 Counties & East Anglia. I hope the snow bunny visits us next year.

Posted

Just look at the radar now! Its murdering that rain over Wales coming to here. Not one bit is surviving. Seriously the Midlands is so dry compared to most places.