Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands, East Anglia and Three Counties Regional Discussion - Part 4

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I would think there's quite a good chance of a thin cover, if not in Buxton town centre then on the hills nearby. Take a drive up to Flash Bar,if there's none there there'll be none anywhere in the locality but at least you can get a hot drink and a cake.

Cheers for the reply TM - it was Flash I had in mind, but thought it might be too specific a locality to ask about.

Is the 'Flash Bar' the Cat & Fiddle? If there's cake on offer I'm definitely going!

Fizz :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Cheers for the reply TM - it was Flash I had in mind, but thought it might be too specific a locality to ask about.

Is the 'Flash Bar' the Cat & Fiddle? If there's cake on offer I'm definitely going!

Fizz :)

No, Fizz, Flash Bar is a little general store selling drinks, food, cake etc; it's next door to the Travellers Rest pub on the Buxton-Leek road, about a mile before you reach the turn for Flash village on the Buxton side.

The Cat and Fiddle is about 2 miles away (as the crow flies) on the Buxton-Macclesfield road and is about 200' higher than Flash Bar. Flash Bar has the cheapest tea/coffee and cake I know of in this area but the quality is as good as anywhere else, I always call there when I'm cycling in the area.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Happy New Year to all members...all the best for 2012 :)

Today started off cloudy but very mild, but it's turning into a wet afternoon as a cold front slides through the region and temps are dropping with it's appearance....Met Office is going with the possibilities of wintry showers following on tonight more especially in the North Midlands with the chance of a covering by morning, but TBH I would have thought that any snow would be reserved for the Peaks and Staffs Moorlands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

No, Fizz, Flash Bar is a little general store selling drinks, food, cake etc; it's next door to the Travellers Rest pub on the Buxton-Leek road, about a mile before you reach the turn for Flash village on the Buxton side.

The Cat and Fiddle is about 2 miles away (as the crow flies) on the Buxton-Macclesfield road and is about 200' higher than Flash Bar. Flash Bar has the cheapest tea/coffee and cake I know of in this area but the quality is as good as anywhere else, I always call there when I'm cycling in the area.

Excellent - sounds like the perfect destination :)

All I need now are some snowflakes to watch whilst drinking my coffee!

Thx again :)

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

A look at the coming weeks outputs comparing expected weather for west Wales with Warwickshire:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/71920-wales-regional-weather-discussion/page__pid__2201048__st__480#entry2201048

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Tomorrow night is looking very windy now with gale force gusts across the region. Gusts upto 60mph seem quite possible and would not rule out 70mph. Surprised how few people are mentioning this. A fair dose of heavy rain looks likely also. Watch out for fallen branches and surface water Tuesday morning as most go back to work!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Tomorrow night is looking very windy now with gale force gusts across the region. Gusts upto 60mph seem quite possible and would not rule out 70mph. Surprised how few people are mentioning this. A fair dose of heavy rain looks likely also. Watch out for fallen branches and surface water Tuesday morning as most go back to work!

that sort of weather does not interest me in the slightest its horrid! in a way im like Gavin D, a settled, dry weather fan, but of course snow my favourite by miles

thursday 5th is looking like a complete washout, dreadful, bring on the settled highs

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

NMM going for Gusts of 70 - possibly 80mph (With average winds around 30-40mph) early on Tuesday following a spell of heavy rain. Rush hour could certainly be a nasty one though the worst of the rain and wind should just about have cleared by then.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Netweather forecast rekons 50 to 60mph gusts here, but it's always overdoes the gust speed by about 20mph for me when these storms hit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

A clear, calm and considerably cool start to the day here, it's only 3.9 °C at 9am which makes a nice change from those silly double figure temperatures we've been getting.

A lovely morning to enjoy a long walk before the wind and rain arrive to spoil things !

Netweather forecast rekons 50 to 60mph gusts here, but it's always overdoes the gust speed by about 20mph for me when these storms hit.

I hope your right..... MK is down for 62mph gusts at 6am tomorrow morning :ph34r:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Looks like our weather warning for strong wind tomorrow has been removed (apart from London & SE) - it's been stolen by Kent and the south coast I expect, they are welcome to it but they better not try and take any snow from us !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Slight covering of snow from this mornings shower..soon be gone though!

WoW even the snow line in Scotland is 300m+

dry and sunny all morning 25 miles north of you

C.S

Posted

Looks like we lost our weather warnings......................(all together now).................................AGAIN!

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted

WoW even the snow line in Scotland is 300m+

dry and sunny all morning 25 miles north of you

C.S

Do i detect a slight disbelief in these comments.lol......only wish i had taken pictures now.

Posted
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border

What a beautiful day for a 5 mile run in Sheffield today ..sunny all day long ..great to do a winter run in dry conditions...got the SW squall back tomorrow :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Do i detect a slight disbelief in these comments.lol......only wish i had taken pictures now.

I would not call anyone on this forum a liar my friend

just seems odd that you the only one in the thread reporting snow

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

I would not call anyone on this forum a liar my friend

just seems odd that you the only one in the thread reporting snow

C.S

Well the Hills around Buxton had a cover of snow this morning there was snow Visible on the cat and fiddle webcam earlier today so you never know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Tbh dude I may be wrong but i'm going to disagree with you on that one, it will be windy but I reckon gusts of 45mph max will be likely over the Midlands tonight. Still very windy but I do think 60-70mph gusts look a tad over cooked.

I'm getting seriously tired of this onslaught of Atlantic weather now, still searching for any hint of blocking occurring over Greenland but there's absolutely none in sight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

There is definitely a recurring theme to these storms. The midlands always gets a downgrade and misses the worst of it, naturally. And they always arrive at there most intense when i'm in bed. Storm or not, you can guarantee any mass of precipitation is along with some nice toasty 10c air to ruin any chance of snow too. So yeah at the moment this weather is driving me nuts, it wouldn't be so bad in a part of the country that gets hit more directly by these systems - atleast it would be interesting. For us it's just soaking wet, cloudy, with a few gusts of wind.

Definitely need to either move north or south!

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm just going to post this very encouraging post from GP earlier, as I'm getting a bit sick and tired of the melodramatic negativity from some:

Big, big spike in tendency of relative angular momentum showing up...

http://www.esrl.noaa...d.sig.90day.gif

and there's a big + Asian Mountain Torque in there which will: extend the Asian Jet into the Pacific setting up the conditions for the Aleutian ridge; and, bring about further wave breaking into the polar stratosphere for the next 10-15 days. It was a similar spike in angular momentum which preceded our cold outbreaks of the last two winters.

The ensemble means have, if anything, begun to lock onto a negative Arctic Oscillation with the 'switch over' centred around 11th January. GEFS control going through the floor. Most of the +ve anomalies centred on the Pacific and Siberian sectors.

http://policlimate.c...scillation.html

Long range tools indicate temperatures for our neck of the woods trending average or slightly below given night time frosts although there is something of a change in the pace of change during mid month as the possible double whammy of tropospheric changes and stratospheric warming (this one a plausible major mid winter warming) coincide around this time.

Northerly attacks along a trough dropping into Europe look the most likely pattern from mid month, potentially going more unsettled as the trough expands into the Atlantic - cold zonality anyone, followed by a genuine cold source Scandinavian ridge ?

WINTER. IS NOT. OVER!!

Edited by Nick L

Posted

There is definitely a recurring theme to these storms. The midlands always gets a downgrade and misses the worst of it, naturally. And they always arrive at there most intense when i'm in bed. Storm or not, you can guarantee any mass of precipitation is along with some nice toasty 10c air to ruin any chance of snow too. So yeah at the moment this weather is driving me nuts, it wouldn't be so bad in a part of the country that gets hit more directly by these systems - atleast it would be interesting. For us it's just soaking wet, cloudy, with a few gusts of wind.

Definitely need to either move north or south!

Eventually, we'll get an epic easterly and when the temperature are heading below -20 over large swathes of the Midlands, you'll be glad you stayed :)