Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Springlike Signs Have You Seen?

Andy Bown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I saw some Daffodil or Narcissi shoots emerging from the ground in a garden today. Also Camellias starting to bud up ready to flower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Given that i'm still in the process of planting tulips i would say it wont be until late January at the earliest before they start to emerge. A mild winter will give them a boost thats for sure. Elsewhere we do have some quite established shoots which are several inches tall which eventually flower in March/April. I will take a photo tomorrow and someone can identify them.

Posted

Lavender tree with green buds swelling and bluebells daffodils and crocus just peeping above the soil surface especially under any leaf piles we raked up today .Grass still regrowing in the fields after sheep or cattle moved to the next one.Will certainly help the winter feed supplies last longer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Yes some of our bulbs have begun to shoot up and break through the soil. We also have poppies flowering for the 3rd time this year along with several other flowering plants still in bloom or back into flower, all very odd. Then there is the grass which really needs cutting again but is too wet to do.

Posted

Signs of spring? - Most of the trees around here still have their leaves,albeit an advanced shade of brown! I put in a rhizome from a Primadonna hop plant a coupla weeks back,hope it's not prompted into growth by the current horrendous conditions only to be decimated by the apocalyptic winter which is waiting in the wings....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Have some Strawberry plants in flower here in Darlington and the rest have full green leaves normally this time of year they have died off but the warmth has kept them going longer this year.

Edited by Gavin D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Crocus and Daffodil shoots several inches above soil in both flower beds and pots!!

Has anyone else got similar or other occurences?

I still have edible small tomatoes outside

Posted

New buds are fattening up on the Lilac, despite the fact that most of this years leaves are still on the tree!

I've noticed that with the lilac in our back garden,too. Round the front there's a small sycamore (gonna have to do something with that before it gets outta hand) whose leaves look exactly the same as they did in July!! Could be wrong but methinks there could be a very heavy price to pay somewhere down the line for this interruption to the usual progression of things (please no rubbish about climate change showing its hand etc,thanks).

Posted

That's quite unbelievable!

But in all honesty this has been the poorest year for weather I have ever seen!

Just Look at this:

Febuary: Mild with Max Temps at 12-13C

March: Average: 12-13C

April: Quite warm: 13-15C

May: Rubbish: 13-14C

June: Rubbish: 12-14C

July: Rubbish: 12-14C

August: Rubbish: 12-14C

September: Quite warm: 12-14C

October: Very Warm: 12-14C

November: Very Warm: 12-14C

I hate the lack of deviation in temperatures since Febuary. It's like our climate has become equatorial (but not in terms of warmth)! With the pattern we've got now, we could add December to that list of simular temperatures. Hopefully our deprivation of snow and cold this autumn may end sometime in December (Hopefully around Christmas). Perhaps we may have another pattern change in December meaning snow in the middle of transition of patterns or a following blocked pattern with cold and snow. Of course, if this terrible pattern ends in December well hopefully the rest of December, January and Febuary may see something more interesting in terms of cold and snow.

Posted

Although I hate the rut the weather's gotten itself into and I'm hankering for change,be it cold and frost or raging storms and rain (don't mind either way),the perverse side of me wants it to continue if only to see how nature reacts. A bit like an extreme spell of cold or heat long outliving its welcome and seeing how things pan out once the novelty has worn off... I'm actually finding it fascinating but perhaps for the wrong reasons.

Posted

Lavender tree with green buds swelling and bluebells daffodils and crocus just peeping above the soil surface especially under any leaf piles we raked up today .Grass still regrowing in the fields after sheep or cattle moved to the next one.Will certainly help the winter feed supplies last longer

Senior moment meant to say lilac tree!!!!!!! not lavender done too much gardening today.

Posted

If the mild was to stay with us up until Christmas than we could even see snowdrops in flower on Christmas day in the back garden. However In the SW of England i'm sure it would only take a couple more weeks of this and they would be in full flower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

went to Ness Botanic Gardens yesterday and many things were in flower, a few photos below:

DSCF2757.jpg

DSCF2749.jpg

DSCF2745.jpg

DSCF2722.jpg

DSCF2707.jpg

DSCF2709.jpg

DSCF2706.jpg

DSCF2694.jpg

DSCF2692.jpg

DSCF2689.jpg

Posted

I hate to imagine snowdrops at Christmas when winter has just begun. We didn't have a summer this year and maybe we won't have a winter or a spring this year!!! Perhaps we may have the problem we've had with Summer (having it in Autumn and Spring) with winter happening in Spring. I tell you that the weather this year has been confused and I don't like it!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I hate to imagine snowdrops at Christmas when winter has just begun. We didn't have a summer this year and maybe we won't have a winter or a spring this year!!! Perhaps we may have the problem we've had with Summer (having it in Autumn and Spring) with winter happening in Spring. I tell you that the weather this year has been confused and I don't like it!!!

Climate Change/Shift much?

Posted

Well my garlic, sown around 1st October, popped up about 21st October. That's quite normal. Harvest next July.

The spinach and spring cabbage are just drowsing off as they are supposed to.

Lilac buds are perfectly normal in the autumn.

Edited by Alan Robinson

Posted

Anyone know what these are. They seem pretty tall already.

wmbiiq.jpg

Posted

I've got olives growing on two trees!