Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Springlike Signs Have You Seen?

Andy Bown

Posted

I found 2 Slowworms sunning themselves in our garden yesterday afternoon. As the plant shadows kept moving so did they to stay in the sun. Was hoping to see them again today but it's cloudy/cooler than yesterday.

We're hoping they're a pair and that we may have more to come! We weren't able to get them both in the same photo so here is 1 of them!

post-107-0-53404900-1335967961_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I did post in here but the post seemed to have been deleted.

One of the longest drawn out springs I can remember. It's now getting a move on but the first spring signs were in January slowed in Feb then started up again in March then slowed in April. Trees still fully out here some that started six weeks ago still sat at the same stage. Bluebells doing well still I'm sure the past that they've finished by now.

Posted

It has been a strange one, almost unheard of we had leaves appearing before the end of March - a good 2 weeks earlier than might be expected in a decent spring.

Now six weeks later things are more like 2 weeks behing normal.

I was looking at some pictures I took about now last year and was gobsmacked by the summery appearance of the landscape with even oaks pretty much in full leaf while this year they are still bare.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

A few Swifts have arrived in my village today.

Wishing them long sunny days ..

BL smile.png

Posted

It's the best mushroom spring for many years. Fairy Ring Champignons, St Georges Mushroom, Blewits and the first Horse Mushroom of 2012 have appeared in the local playing fields of West London, and ended up in soups, fry-ups and preserved in jars of oil. Collecting well over a pound weight a day for the last week. All easy to find because of the rings of lush grass giving away the position of the mushrooms, even if hidden by the grass.

Mostly due to the rains in April and May, but also due to the warm March kick-start. The cool damp weather keeps the fungus flies at bay too. Just hope the council grasscutters keep off too!