Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion - January

The watcher

Posted

Would love to see some decent cold weather but i just can see it!! I really hope i'm wrong but this winter has been terrible except for some pretty beefy storms! Cold zonal can be great to start the winter but it doesn't really last and seems to give us at the most 2/3 days of cold! I think everybodys expectations were set to high after last years epic cold! Anyway hopefully i will be eating my words come the end of the month!

Posted

You bought and planted those trees from lidle at the same time i did.

They will be messed up for the first year. i have one with flowers clinging to it but dont expect a thing from it.

my rhubarb is sprouting though.

spring is damned close!

Thats right Baltic couldn't resist such a good deal!

I don't mind a nother mild weekend as I have a 100 bare root Hawthorns arriving on Friday and it will give me a chance to get them planted.

I still think we a in for a cold shock!!

Posted

Decent frost on the cards tonight, hopefully a precursor to the first real snow of the winter setting in next weekend...

Please God. Looking good from the last few model runs, gfs aside!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Frost in January :o

Well no not quite but at 0.9C it looks like we might get our first air frost since the 10th of December, ridiculous! Only 4 air frosts all winter so far compared to 41 at this stage last winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

No frost here for a long time, think I've had about 2 so far. ECMWF model and (to a degree) the UKMO hinting at the possible first deep cold, but GFS still diverting to a short blast then quick progession to the PV back over greenland and continuation of the weather we've been seeing.

It's a tough call but I'd think a 60% ECM solution diluted with 40% of the GFS solution will be the outcome. I'd be content saying we will likely see our best snowfall from a Northerly or more elongated NE attack than the Easterly the ECM suggests.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Thank god it's Friday! Been a tiring week for myself.

A bit of frost here this morning. The sun is shining too, a lovely chilly winter morning! First time in ages that wearing my coat and scarf hasn't felt redundant :D.

Posted

A cracking day today got the ground dug up and my hawthorne bare root hedge planted, a lovely starry night a good hard frost on its way!

My wee girl is wild keen on seeing this boy Jack Frost who has taken to painting our garden and house white at night.

Would have loved to spent the day out digging. some very thick patches of fog about today!

Looking forward to next weekend now and glad for whatever it brings!

Posted

low last night of -1.6c and currently -0.3c so should see a decent frost tonight again. looks like a fair cooldown on the way by next friday, lets hope it delivers our snow fix.

Posted

The cold and snowy blast still looking good for later next week. The uk met fax charts will worth looking at going forward with signs of troughs and the much fabled Polar Lows..

Posted

The cold and snowy blast still looking good for later next week. The uk met fax charts will worth looking at going forward with signs of troughs and the much fabled Polar Lows..

Thanks to the folks on here for given a IMBY perspective on the models, reading the Model Thread could lead you to confusion very easily, especially the nonsenscial items regarding which is the best output.

A hard frost earlier, how fading away as cloud cover increased.

Posted

It's because their is no sign of snow in the south east which as we know is the most important area of the whole universe. As for us, looks like I could get the kids out sledging next weekend.

Posted

It's because their is no sign of snow in the south east which as we know is the most important area of the whole universe. As for us, looks like I could get the kids out sledging next weekend.

Oh I like the sound of that Mountain Shadow, so in your opinion things looking up for us :drinks:

Another beautiful day here but very cold, anyway of out into the garden to dig up the vegetable patch so I can start planning for spring, I just love dry sunny days like these

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Frost, Thunder and Storms

Had to move away from the forecasting model thread for a while as the bickering over there is getting tiresome at this stage

Cold / possible snow prospects for Ireland as per the big three models as I see it for next week

ECM has watered down their cold blast for next weekend but I would expect still to see some snow more especially in Northern parts http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1442.gif however by next weekend lighter winds with less shower activity but with likelihood of plenty of frosts http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2162.gif

UKMO seems to be following a similar pattern http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1441.gif so again northern parts at risk of snow if uppers are cold enough - we cannot see where we would go from here and whether cold / snow risk would dig further south

GFS only slowly coming in to line but offers something wintry later in the period http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1921.png again northern and probably western parts most at risk but a short lived affair as per the 6z output

If charts get upgraded again similar to yesterdays ECM then potential for snow could become more widespread - at least now all three models are showing cold / snow potential from late next week onwards - if that shortwave exiting USA on those charts at T144 is slower than forecast expect upgrades and likewise if it exits at faster rate expect something more similar to GFS which takes longer to bring in a cold snap

Could go either way and something to watch closely over the next few days and a lot better potential than we have seen all winter - lets hope this continues

EWS

Posted

Folks,

The Model Thread is really getting on my t*t* with the winding up that is going on, I keep reading about a so called ignore button, could someone kindly point to me were it is at at as I would like to filter a few wind up merchants out.

Thanks,

Pomeroysnow

Posted

It really is a joke in there. I would be happy enough for someone in here to give us a daily run down of the models. It would certainly save the hassle of reading some the tripe in the model thread. Just seems to be allot if point scoring going on! Not sure if any of the more technically minded on here would mind giving a daily update in what the models are showing in the run up to this cold spell. Things are certain to chop and change between now and next weekend.

Posted

It really is a joke in there. I would be happy enough for someone in here to give us a daily run down of the models. It would certainly save the hassle of reading some the tripe in the model thread. Just seems to be allot if point scoring going on! Not sure if any of the more technically minded on here would mind giving a daily update in what the models are showing in the run up to this cold spell. Things are certain to chop and change between now and next weekend.

Totally agree Ronan I think it would be a great idea if as you say the more technically minded could give us a daily update for Ireland, in lay mans terms of course as one is quite thick :sorry:

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Ronan,

There are some technically gifted guy's over in our Kilted Thread :clap:

A nice friendly place with good banter (craic) where you might get your questions answered :good:

Unlike the MT Mad Hoose! :wallbash:

Big Innes