Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

It's now January, getting to that time of year when things start to warm up, and nature awakens again.

In some past years, February has been more like early Spring here, so I'm definitely starting to look forward to Spring now.

What are everyone else's hopes for Spring? Personally I would like a warm spring with plenty of sunshine. There's nothing like sitting on the patio in March in shorts and a T-Shirt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Since mid-January is pretty much the heart of winter things certainly aren't beginning to "warm up" yet (if anything they are going to cool down, so I hope anyway). I wouldn't consider Spring until late January/early February at the very earliest and that's if we have a Bartlett with above average temperatures coupled with sunshine. February 1998 is a good example when temperatures topped 16c in my area.

The only recent spring-like February I can remember is 2011. 2010, 2009, 2006, 2005 and 2004 were all relatively snowy Februaries (I'd probably give you 2008 though). Personally I hope we get a colder-than-average spring with some surprise overnight snowfalls, especially if the rest of January and February don't deliver.

Edited by Tellow

Posted

Since mid-January is pretty much the heart of winter things certainly aren't beginning to "warm up" yet (if anything they are going to cool down, so I hope anyway). I wouldn't consider Spring until late January/early February at the very earliest and that's if we have a Bartlett with above average temperatures coupled with sunshine. February 1998 is a good example when temperatures topped 16c in my area.

The only recent spring-like February I can remember is 2011. 2010, 2009, 2006, 2005 and 2004 were all relatively snowy Februaries (I'd probably give you 2008 though). Personally I hope we get a colder-than-average spring with some surprise overnight snowfalls, especially if the rest of January and February don't deliver.

Yes I understand that we are in the heart of winter, but technically speaking, the coldest day is usually about the 10th or 11th January, and then it starts to (slowly) get warmer again.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Cooler than average March in my opinion with a slightly above average April and May about 1C above average.

A poor start to summer is also likely in my opinion.

Posted

Yes I understand that we are in the heart of winter, but technically speaking, the coldest day is usually about the 10th or 11th January, and then it starts to (slowly) get warmer again.

Where is this "technically speaking"?

Believe me, i've lived thru' many winters and i reckon end Jan/early Feb is the coldest period in most years

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Coldest time inland is around mid-late january, near the coasts generally late jan-early feb.

Anyway, I love Spring... the variation of hp dominated warm, sunny weather and lp dominated cold, fresh and showery northerlies... as well as nice pm outbreaks from the west, and the odd easterly still will have some cold energy with it, especially in march and april.

I'm going for a cool-cold march, around 0.5c to 1.5c below average, a milder april, with sufficient sunshine for many, around average.. and may to be very warm and sunny, 0.5c to 1.5c above average... setting the stage for a generally warm and sunny summer.

Posted

Where is this "technically speaking"?

Believe me, i've lived thru' many winters and i reckon end Jan/early Feb is the coldest period in most years

"Technically speaking" the coldest day could be anytime. I think we are referring to when the coldest day is most likely to occur.

Anyway, the favourite thing about Spring for me is the warm days coupled with the cool nights. Always fascinating for me watching temperature on my weather station rise quickly as the day progresses / drop off quickly as the night draws in. A frosty morning followed by 17c in the afternoon is always nice. In Autumn the opposite applies with maxima of 17c likely to coupled with a minima of around 12/13c or more.

Edited by Tellow

Posted

I may be wrong, I just remember in past years someone posted something that said the 10th was the on average the coldest day in winter, anyhow it doesn't matter too much.

I also love the temperature variations you get in March and April under a high pressure system. Waking up with glorious sunshine to a low of just a few degrees C, then an afternoon high in the mid/high teens is one of my favourite parts of Spring.

Posted

its the start of january we are no where near spring yet, even though it may feel like it at times, i cant put out some vegetables at the allotment until mid may because of frosts

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I essentially favour the same patterns in spring as I favour in winter- some clear anticyclonic spells, some warm southerlies, some bright showery westerly types and some cold bright showery northerly types, and preferably a lot of alternation between them, resulting in frequent switch-arounds, and a strong emphasis on convective rather than frontal precipitation.

The main difference is that during spring I prefer to have as few easterlies as possible unless they have a "northerly" source, as a "continental European" type of easterly almost invariably translates to grey drizzly weather in eastern areas once the continent warms up.

Despite some notable spring months in recent years my favourite spring quarter remains the 1995 one by a fair margin, as all three months were pretty episodic, as well as delivering above average sunshine. The only thing missing from that spring here in Cleadon was a day of thunder- quite remarkable considering the high frequency of sunshine-and-showers days (especially in March '95) and 10 days with hail. Also worthy of a mention was the first half of April 2008 in Norwich, which had a notable warm start, a switch-around to snow on the 6th/7th, and then the following week had sunshine and showers daily, with thunder on 3 days, one of which also produced a big hailstorm.

Posted

its the start of january we are no where near spring yet, even though it may feel like it at times, i cant put out some vegetables at the allotment until mid may because of frosts

Down here it can be Spring from February onwards, so we are not far away. Obviously further north winter lasts longer. Last year we had very few frosts after early March. My one hate is easterlies during Spring.. cold and raw with lots of cloud, not pleasant!

Edited by robthefool

Posted

My thoughs for Spring....

My feeling is that winter will arrive late and the jet will slow down, resulting a northerly or easterly dominated first half to March. I would then expect the rest of March and first half of April to expect interweaving periods of settled with temperatures in the teens, some frost, some wet and windy spells and the odd cold spell and warm day. For May, I'm expecting it to be warm and sunny one half, and cold and unsettled in the other with perhaps some hail and wintryness in the north.

So overall, I'm expecting a cold first half to Spring, and a warmer second half. We should see a very interesting Spring with lot's of different weather types.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

Warm and mainly dry. I think many springs are like this these days and I hope it continues. Not keen on cold in spring as it is normally more of a nuisance and I just keep thinking, where was this in Jan and Feb when it would of had more impact.

Edited by snow drift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

A bit early?

Uh, no, this is not true, most places in the UK experience their coldest nights, on average, in February..

But I think we are overdue a cold Spring, like Mr Data said.. last time we got a good March snowfall was 2008..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

A bit early?

Uh, no, this is not true, most places in the UK experience their coldest nights, on average, in February..

But I think we are overdue a cold Spring, like Mr Data said.. last time we got a good March snowfall was 2008..

On average yes. But on some years it can be quite a mild time of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Sorry, but this is simply not true.

The Arctic is at its coldest in March, so a Northerly in March will give more 'oomph' than one in January anyway..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Down here it can be Spring from February onwards, so we are not far away. Obviously further north winter lasts longer. Last year we had very few frosts after early March. My one hate is easterlies during Spring.. cold and raw with lots of cloud, not pleasant!

This is a very very crude way of looking at things (I'm not having a go at you by the way), it's something that people are taught and whilst it is generally true, coastal areas up north can start earlier in Spring than further down south in some cases (although even up here were behind the likes of Cornwall and the south coast). Often I speak to drivers who can testify that Manchester for example on the same latitude is 3-4 weeks behind here in terms of Spring growth. Also in the past 3 winters when I've travelled down to Birmingham I've noticed leaves grow on trees here a lot earlier than there.

As for Robs original post, I think he means not actually warming up, but starting to feel more Springlike. For example a day in Mid-January where it is approximately 8C with a clear and sunny sky can feel more Springlike than say the end of November or anytime in December - I hold this to be true, however I live in a mildish area where Spring comes earlier and days are often milder in westerly winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I actually wouldn't mind a crap spring, so we can at least have a generally very decent but extremely hot summer, see if we can try match Dubai for temperatures

Posted

A bit early?

Not most parts.. I know that in London this is definitely not true and in inland areas as well.

This is a very very crude way of looking at things (I'm not having a go at you by the way), it's something that people are taught and whilst it is generally true, coastal areas up north can start earlier in Spring than further down south in some cases (although even up here were behind the likes of Cornwall and the south coast). Often I speak to drivers who can testify that Manchester for example on the same latitude is 3-4 weeks behind here in terms of Spring growth. Also in the past 3 winters when I've travelled down to Birmingham I've noticed leaves grow on trees here a lot earlier than there.

As for Robs original post, I think he means not actually warming up, but starting to feel more Springlike. For example a day in Mid-January where it is approximately 8C with a clear and sunny sky can feel more Springlike than say the end of November or anytime in December - I hold this to be true, however I live in a mildish area where Spring comes earlier and days are often milder in westerly winds.

Yes, I understand what you mean.. I mean obviously the difference between February and January temperature wise is minuscule, but it can feel warmer, especially as the sun starts to gain some strength - a month really does make a difference as the sun has the same strength as it has in October in February

Posted

. I mean obviously the difference between February and January temperature wise is minuscule, but it can feel warmer, especially as the sun starts to gain some strength - a month really does make a difference as the sun has the same strength as it has in October in February

That's well true for the south of the UK, down here it's really noticeable that Feb is already warming nicely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Late February in years gone by has delivered some warmth, not just from the southwest but increasing warmth can be sourced from off the continent brought by southeries from North Africa. Mid February 2008 and late February 2003 are examples.

Posted

Late February in years gone by has delivered some warmth, not just from the southwest but increasing warmth can be sourced from off the continent brought by southeries from North Africa. Mid February 2008 and late February 2003 are examples.

But other late Februaries/early Marches can bring battleground snowfall. One thing I've noticed in ones like 2004 and 2005 is that you can get overnight snowfall followed by a thaw in the day, then a reload and repeat at night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I remember the late February 2005 cold spell quite well even though we didn't get that much snow here due to it mostly falling during the day and quickly melting. I remember thinking that all the cold and snow potential had been mounting throughout the winter and was unleashed just as signs of spring were about to appear. Very much to serve as a reminder that winter wasn't over yet.