Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I think this is quite speculative to be honest, and I think 3-4 weeks is an exaggeration. I travel around the country quite a lot and the differences in growth in spring are usually quite minimal over such short distances. Having travelled a lot between Manchester and Cheltenham last year I can confirm that there was a noticeable difference in growth in early April but even over this distance of about 140 miles south it wasn't 3-4 weeks difference. Also I think it's a generalisation to talk about growth in periods of time- a really warm period (I'm thinking early May 2008 after a rather cool April) can result in a sudden transformation with a huge amount of plant and leaf growth in a couple of days.

Perhaps, that is true of course it depends on the extent of the conditions around. The driver (at work), might well have been commenting on that year. It definitely is usually earlier though here, though by what time is perhaps not as clear cut, like you suggest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

My favourite season is spring. I love the deep cold and snow possible in winter, and love the festivities. I love summer due to the long days and beautiful sunshine, heat and overall atmosphere. I love autumn for the coziness, the storms, first frosts and late heat.

But I LOVE spring... the massive diurnal ranges, the amazing evaporative cooling and heavy snow showers... the fact that it's so sunny usually and the days are generally very long, also the fact that Tm air is not as strong, and therefore the 'stratiform' is at it's lowest.

Frost, snow, rain, ice, sun, heat, cold, wind and more... I just love spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I hope we have a more "typical" British Spring - Early morning frosts but then warm sunshine and showers(even maybe some wintry ones thrown in). Then a gradual warm up as we approach late spring ready for Summer.

I just don't want any lengthy period of mild, dull, grey weather with no end.

One thing I particularly would like to experience again though, is the potential plumes of warmth that can pay us a visit from the continent in mid-late Spring, not really for the sticky heat, but for the big thunderstorms from the South that can come with it.

Friday 9th May 2008 was the last lengthy thunderstorm I think in the Bristol/S.Gloucestershire area. It was a spectacular light show during late evening that lasted a couple of hours from what I can remember. In comparison the past couple of years have been pretty poor for thunderstorms here. Pulse type thundery showers rarely amount to much if they drift in from the West/SW because they always weaken as they travel up the Bristol Channel/Severn Estuary. They always then build up again after passing me (basically what happened for the whole of 2011).

P.S - If anyone has the synoptics/charts, or knows where I can look for them, for what setup caused these thunderstorms on May 9th 2008 I'd love to see it for a learning perspective :p I think a front or trough moved up from the SE across S England and headed towards Midlands & Wales?)

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted

Got to say this is a strange time to start such a thread when its felt like spring already this winter and you wouldnt start autumn threads in only very early July when heat can last until october 1st like last year.

Is it as strange as writing winter 2012-13 off like you did not long after you posted this?

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Wetterzentrale archive chart for the 9th May 2008:

http://www.wetterzen...00120080509.gif

Met Office FAX chart:

http://www.wetterzen...cka20080509.gif

Looks like the thunderstorm development was heavily assisted by a weak Atlantic frontal system pushing against the very warm continental air that had been establishing over the British Isles- Norwich made it to 27C that day.

In contrast to the warm sunny first half, the second half of May 2008 was cloudy for most. However, on the 28th it was the turn of East Anglia to get thunderstorms from a continental import:

http://www.wetterzen...cka20080528.gif

Although the surface winds were easterly, the thunderstorms headed north-north-westwards up from France through East Anglia giving a notable overnight lightning show. I imagine other parts of southern and eastern England got hit too, but certainly remember the thunderstorms in Norwich.

On the other hand it's worth noting that continental imports often struggle to make it over the English Channel due to the relatively cold seas at that time of year, and many April/May thunderstorms from continental airmasses form over the UK itself, as happened widely on the 11th and 12th May 2006 ahead of a southward-advancing cold front. The 1st May 2005 had a good example of an early "Spanish plume" thunderstorm setup where we got a combination of imported and homegrown storms, many of which developed overnight.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Quite surprised that April has the warmest CET day, with the cool Spring nights.

Yes, it also sort of reminds me of the Death Valley in late Autumn or early Spring.

August 12th sorry.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Wetterzentrale archive chart for the 9th May 2008:

http://www.wetterzen...00120080509.gif

Met Office FAX chart:

http://www.wetterzen...cka20080509.gif

Looks like the thunderstorm development was heavily assisted by a weak Atlantic frontal system pushing against the very warm continental air that had been establishing over the British Isles- Norwich made it to 27C that day.

In contrast to the warm sunny first half, the second half of May 2008 was cloudy for most. However, on the 28th it was the turn of East Anglia to get thunderstorms from a continental import:

http://www.wetterzen...cka20080528.gif

Although the surface winds were easterly, the thunderstorms headed north-north-westwards up from France through East Anglia giving a notable overnight lightning show. I imagine other parts of southern and eastern England got hit too, but certainly remember the thunderstorms in Norwich.

On the other hand it's worth noting that continental imports often struggle to make it over the English Channel due to the relatively cold seas at that time of year, and many April/May thunderstorms from continental airmasses form over the UK itself, as happened widely on the 11th and 12th May 2006 ahead of a southward-advancing cold front. The 1st May 2005 had a good example of an early "Spanish plume" thunderstorm setup where we got a combination of imported and homegrown storms, many of which developed overnight.

Thanks for that info - very helpful! :good:

Posted

I would agree with that, as February 2011 (mildest for 9 years) didn't feel spring-like at all, except on 24th, as it was often very dull and damp.

In contrast, the previous cold February 2010 had a good number of days that felt spring-like, due to dry and sunny days and positive warmth to the sun out of the cold north-easterly breeze.

I see what you mean. Wintry shower and sunny spell setups I feel have just as much a place in spring as thunderstorms do. A, cold bright day in April / May not getting close to double figures feels far warmer and pleasant than a mild, moist depression at 15c with gales, which I'd place in autumn if I wanted seasons to behave as expected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

If you measure Spring in terms of the reaction of nature of weather, then Spring by that definition is already here, we have Daffodils out, snowdrops emerging, Magnolia buds are fattening up etc etc.

If you measure it astronomically/traditionally, then Spring will not arrive until March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

It may even feel a bit like Spring next week with high pressure remaining quite close to southern England bringing lighter winds but maintaining the generally mid westerly theme. Hopefully there will be some decent sunny spells to go with it.

Posted

If you measure Spring in terms of the reaction of nature of weather, then Spring by that definition is already here, we have Daffodils out, snowdrops emerging, Magnolia buds are fattening up etc etc.

Snowdrops do usually appear in winter or spring and is perfectly normal for them to be appearing in a normal British winter, they are a very hardy plant. There is such a thing as winter daffodil and they often appear when the weather is consistantly temperate (like now)

As for spring, by definition it is the change from the vernal equinox to the summer solstice and doesn't go by temperature or plant growth, just so happens plants like warmer weather and they react the change in temperature accordingly (and certainly don't change the weather like some folk seem to think)

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I don't think early Jan can feel that spring like - the sun is just too low in the sky. Xmas day was sunny and it was mild - but it did not feel spring like as the sun is at eye level and gone altogether just after half 3. The light just feels different to later in the year.

To me, spring begins to show its face when its light when I leave work (late Feb) and feels proper here on the first warmish day after that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I doubt that most on here would be too happy if those outputs verified (and I certainly wouldn't, for various reasons). Looking at the distribution of temperature anomalies, the implication is a warm spring (especially April) and then an Atlantic trough migrating eastwards during May/June, followed by Atlantic-driven west to south-westerlies during July and August. This bears a striking resemblance to most recent years, especially 2007 and 2011.

Of course the CFS's accuracy isn't fantastic at that sort of range, so it's very speculative, but very "same old, same old".

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Wouldn't mind seeing a month as wet as June and July 2007.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Wouldn't mind seeing a month as wet as June and July 2007.

Yes - but not in June or July - in October or November please!

Be good to have some more reliable outdoor weather this year - been very hit and miss in recent years. It's either wet or just too chilly to be nice out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Yeah, in Autumn obviously, lol.

I'm not keen on hot temperatures but it sure would be nice to have a sunny, warm summer for a change.. summer 1990.. not too hot but sunny and warm.. mm.. yes please, as long as we do not have to have a horrible winter like the one before it!

Edited by Aaron

Be good to have some more reliable outdoor weather this year - been very hit and miss in recent years. It's either wet or just too chilly to be nice out.

Hey it was extremely dry in the midlands last year, had no trouble indeed with outdoor activities at all.

Even cool summers are warm enough for most, its winters that are the main problem not the others three warm seasons.

Posted

Oh yes it was definitely dry enough last year but just for the most part too chilly.

Great for walking/jogging etc. just not really sitting out at bbq/pub weather. If summer was just like 1st Oct 2011 non stop it'd be spot on. 25-27c with sunshine is just perfect.

Posted

The CFS charts show a well above average March to April again

euT2mProbSea.gif

I hope spring turns out like this.

:good:

If those CFS charts verify, summer could be a disappointment if it's a scorcher you are after.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

I don't particularly want to see a repeat of summer 2003, with the hot sunny days but overnight thunderstorms, making it muggy

Posted

I personally do not think that the summer prospects are particulaly good, at least in terms of getting a classic.

The reason for this is mainly the -QBO phase which i do not think correlates well with warm summer months (18C+). With the QBO turning -ve in November and the shortest -QBO phase being 11 months, this makes me wary.

In addition, of the 12 summer months since 1950 with CET values of 18C+, only 2 did not occur with +MEI readings.

Too early to say what will happen yet but if we can get a quick -QBO peak and a quick turn around towards a weak El Nino then we could have a brilliant summer.

For the moment i would strongly favour a wetter than average summer and suspect that we will be on the cold side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Just noticed some snowdrops in the garden are just about to flower with crocuses not far off and tulips starting to poke though the ground. Everything seems a month earlier than the previous two years.