Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2012

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The QBO is not the be all and end all but let us look at the data..

http://www.cpc.ncep....s/qbo.u30.index (standardised at the bottom)

Since 1979 the following spring and summers have seen all months with -QBO values...

2005 (June was great)

2003 (great summer and April but El Nino)

2001 (May was good)

1998 (Pretty poor)

1996 (Pretty poor)

1994 (Great July but El Nino)

1989 (May and July was great)

1984 (Pretty poor)

Seemingly all the great months also had El Nino conditions.

I decided to see which of those years had -MEI conditions through spring and summer (no guarantee that La Nina will persist though).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

In an ideal world we would get sufficient rainfall during all the spring and summer months to help prevent a drought from setting in. I am a huge lover of hot and sunny summers but the one drawback is the effect it has on the countryside and the vegetation. Last September we had some trees which were unusually bare for the time of year as they has shed their leaves so early. That must have been down to the lack of rainfall last summer but also the fact that they came into leaf so early due to the warm April. I think to get us off to a decent start I would like a warm and quite wet spring such as 2005.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

Interesting that Essex Weather.com have put on twitter that the Americans think Europe will have a dry summer with temps well above avg, where do you think they got this forecast from? Also who would predict something that is still 5months away?

Interesting that Essex Weather.com have put on twitter that the Americans think Europe will have a dry summer with temps well above avg,

Yes i think that is what will occur though that doesnt necessarily mean it will include most of the UK outside the SE ;)

Hopefully a cold spring for once so we might get a nice hot summer. :)

Posted

I think spring will start off on a cold and unsettled note, but will end up on a warm and sunny note. As for Summer, probably average at best.

Edited by Seven of Nine

Posted

Well when you think about it, not that long to go befre we reach 'spring'. Can be a very interesting season, perhaps the most interesting with regards to weather. You can have just about everything, blizzards, heatwaves, thunderstorms, showers, severe frosts...I'm getting excited about the range of options, and also longer days!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Well when you think about it, not that long to go befre we reach 'spring'. Can be a very interesting season, perhaps the most interesting with regards to weather. You can have just about everything, blizzards, heatwaves, thunderstorms, showers, severe frosts...I'm getting excited about the range of options, and also longer days!!

In recent days the very dry air and higher sun did make things look like spring without it actually feeling like it. Its also nice to have more of the back garden in the midday sun rather than it being all in the shade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Often I find myself wishing that winter could essentially be a colder version of spring- a stronger sun offset by colder airmasses and about 10-11 hours of daylight per day. I can picture a cyclonic/northerly outbreak with minima of -5 to -10C, maxima near zero and a snow cover, with a clear sunny start followed by a build-up of homegrown convective cloud and sharp afternoon snow showers with hail and thunder mixed in, and cumulonimbus cells towering way up into the attmosphere. The snow cover would probably restrict homegrown convection a little due to its reflective properties but considering that most snow-covered areas saw maxima of 2-4C in early March 2001 despite 850hPa temperatures near -10C and minima below -10C in many places, solar heating would probably still provide enough thermal contrasts to generate showers with the sun as strong as it is in mid-March.

In fairness it does resemble a colder version of the spring anticyclonic type right now in Cleadon- dry and sunny by day with temperatures near average, and night frosts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Kinda looking forward to summer now, I'm hoping for many days with sun, temperatures between 21c - 25C and some of those balmy summer nights, but not too balmy, so I don't sweat a bucket load.

Oh sorry is this the Spring 2012 thread? :D

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Kinda looking forward to summer now, I'm hoping for many days with sun, temperatures between 21c - 25C and some of those balmy summer nights, but not too balmy, so I don't sweat a bucket load.

Oh sorry is this the Spring 2012 thread? :D

Give me May 2008 and June and July 2006, not too bothered about the rest as i prefer summer to be when the longest days are rather than when it can be warmest. April 2011 and August 1995 would be nice but March 2011 would be perfect (sunny but very cold at first then very warm at the end).

September onward straight into winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

I would like some snowy weather throughout March until early April, followed by continental conditions until early May with clear, frosty nights and sunny, warm days. Finally, as days get increasingly longer in the run up to June, increasingly warmer days occur perhaps becoming hot, with thunderstorms developing in late May. :D

Edited by Tellow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Lets have a roaring northerly this April with hefty snow showers - been ages since we've had that!

Then follow it up nicely with hot sunshine late May until early September.

I can dream...

Posted
  • Location: Birmingham to Fazeley Canal, Bodymoor Heath, North Warwickshire
  • Location: Birmingham to Fazeley Canal, Bodymoor Heath, North Warwickshire

Given the mild temps we've had here this Winter, it'd be nice to have a cool spring this year. Frosty morning's with sunny afternoon's would be quite nice thank you!

Anybody else find it amusing when people get all depressed over current output and say roll on spring like it automatically starts March 1st and that it will be warm and sunny for 3 months straight?

Look at end of September, beginning of October for summerlike weather, seasons don't just start all of a sudden especially in the UK.

Edited by Eugene

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

i hoping this summer to be a wet one and a cool one with floods nationwide. :D

as for spring to be dry and unseasonbly warm.

Edited by Phillip Samuel Gilleece

Posted

I'd like a spring to be a little more extreme form of May 2010 - rather cool and northerly early on with snow showers that give temporary cover above 300m. If this were to occur in March they would be coupled with sharp frosts of -5-10c. This showery spell was followed by a rather gorgeous warm spell that was never too hot, like they often are come the summer. With some frontal snow early on (okay, unfeasible for May, but entirely possible in March and much of April) it would've been a perfect spring, all in one month.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Bottesford, February 6, 2012 - Quoted post removed
Hidden by Bottesford, February 6, 2012 - Quoted post removed

I sense favouritism in these forums. im not allowed to put up a summer blog but yet people are allowed to put winter and spring blogs up months in advance. hypocrisy. tell me how to leave this site and cancel membership. i have better things to do with my time!

This thread was started two months ahead of the start of spring. It's still four months from summer. The Winter 2011/2012 thread wasn't even started until September, and that's the season with easily the most interest.

If you want to leave, then simply stop posting?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Maybe this thread should be renamed "Beyond Winter" or something like that, and then maybe a summer thread split from this after spring begins?

Edited by Tellow

Posted

As others have said, summer is still many months away and its still too early for that sort of thread. Spring is still the best part of a month away yet! Once we get a little bit into Spring, then we'll consider it opening a summer thread.

Besides, loads to get through first before we even think of heatwaves, etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Spring snow been lacking really now for low lying NW Midlands, 3 years in a row now without Spring snow!

where as in 90's and earlier March and April snow was common, even May snow wasnt impossible

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Back in Nov, a month before Winter, all the "professional" forecasting sites and blogging amateurs were all doing their long term forecasts for the coming winter.... Does anyone on here (pre other sites) do their LRF for Spring?!

I'm now starting to get that feeling for NEEDING some warmer and longer days! Really want to read some thoughts on it because there were a couple of people on here that got Winter nearly spot on!

Thanks!

H x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Agreed! Be lovely to hear about what spring may have to offer be it warm sunshine or cold northerlies - or even dreaded low cloud laden easterlies.

Anyone?