Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Modeling

greybing

Posted

I seem to have a vague understanding of weather modelling ,such as the like that various weather forecasters use.Now I would be most grateful if people could clear away my ignorance on the subject and provide clear a description of how weather modelling with computers work.I suspect a fair few other on this site share my ignorance on the methods used .I know they run scenarios on computers ,using the actual meteorolgical setup that would exist at the present but I'm unsure on the parameters .Whether there is statistical input or whatever .Basically my knowledge is holey and uncertain.Thank you you lovely people and lets hope the weather gains some interest to the masses of weather followers on here.Tar

Edited by greybing

Posted

I seem to have a vague understanding of weather modelling ,such as the like that various weather forecasters use.Now I would be most grateful if people could clear away my ignorance on the subject and provide clear a description of how weather modelling with computers work.I suspect a fair few other on this site share my ignorance on the methods used .I know they run scenarios on computers ,using the actual meteorolgical setup that would exist at the present but I'm unsure on the parameters .Whether there is statistical input or whatever .Basically my knowledge is holey and uncertain.Thank you you lovely people and lets hope the weather gains some interest to the masses of weather followers on here.Tar

I would first of all go to the Net Wx Guides-a lot in there to give you information.

Then try the Met O web site and read their information on using computers, a great deal to read and absorb in there.

Try Googling to see what else crops up, one other very good site I would recommend is this

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/

enjoy and hope the links do help

Edited by johnholmes

• 1 year later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Hi, new to the site.

Could some one clarify ensembles, models and operational runs? Nothing 'too in-depth' but a better understanding would certainly help with my knowledge and understanding of the 'modelling' thread.