Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snowcon

Azores Hi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Just for fun and to relieve the tension appearing in the model threads I thought it would be cool to devise a SNOWCON scale of model watching and readiness for impending cold weather. A bit like DEFCON but for snow rather than impending nuclear destruction.

It is on a scale of 1-10 with a few 10+’s thrown in for fun. I’d personally like to get to 9-10 at some point this winter as I’m sure a lot of you would too, but I think even SNOWCON 10+++ would have the most hardened coldie praying for a return of the jetstream!

As I said, just a bit of fun, perhaps you have your own version you wish to post? Currently I think we stand at SNOWCON 3 maybe 4 if the 06z plays ball...

0. No cold appearing in any part of the models.

1. Cold weather occasionally appearing in the depths of FI in one or 2 of the models. Disappears come the next run.

2. Cold weather occasionally appears in FI, verified by another model or appears again in the next run. Disappears thereafter.

3. Cold weather consistently appears in FI from one run to the next in various guises but is still out in FI land.

4. Cold weather scenario has entered the reliable timeframe. People begin to look at precipitation charts even though it’s far too early to reliably gauge snowfall amounts or location. People begin to ask "will it snow in….?"

5. Cold weather scenario is 3 days away on the models, people are looking at precipitation charts to see if it will snow and by how much, even though it’s still out of the reliable time frame for precipitation!

6. Proper cold starts tomorrow! How long will it last?? How much and where? All can be fairly well predicted on a regional level.

7. I can see showers on the radar, snow reports are coming in upwind.

8. OH MY GOD it’s SNOWING!!

9. Transport network failures, general disruption, some schools close etc etc

10. Severe cold spell, widespread disruption, business closures as well as schools, impossible to travel.

10+. Emergency situation, air lifting of food supplies to cut off rural areas, martial law imposed, morgues full of the unburied dead.

10++. New ice age, society as we know it ends.

Edited by Azores Hi

Posted

So......is snowcon ZERO is "Mild outlook - all precipation being rain"

I know you have a snowcon 1, but even windspeed has a ZERO measurement, i.e. Calm, smoke rises vertically

Posted

So......is snowcon ZERO is "Mild outlook - all precipation being rain"

I know you have a snowcon 1, but even windspeed has a ZERO measurement, i.e. Calm, smoke rises vertically

I suppose I could move everything 1 step back but it's inspired by the DEFCON system of the United States armed forces, which has a base level as 1. Plus, I can't be bothered :p

Hang on though, the US system actually has a base level as 5 as the lowest state of readyness, so it's all pearshaped anyway. Bloody Americans can't even count properly!

Right I'll change it then!

We are now at SNOWCON 1!

Posted

We are now at SNOWCON 1!

Do we have to have the equivalent of a COBRA civil contingencies meeting if things get bad? Ours could be COBBLERS........

COuld Be Belting LEts Ramp Silly

Posted

Do we have to have the equivalent of a COBRA civil contingencies meeting if things get bad? Ours could be COBBLERS........

COuld Be Belting LEts Ramp Silly

LOL Yes I suspect reaching SNOWCON 4 will automatically trigger a COBBLERS meeting.

Posted

We are at Snowcon 3 I reckon, 4 later?

Will we need protective clothing?

nuclear_air_line_fedfull_suit.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Its been a long time since level 10 alerts here but in the past (long time ago) prob 47?? our village was cut off completely, helicopter food drops the works - I wasn't around then but the snow was huge well over hedges and roads were impassable for ages.

We have been cut off for a good few days previously prob mostly seventies and early eighties.

Tbh thought last winter we were going to be snowed in for longer - although didn't venture out in the car for a week due to so much snow falling on our area. Not worth getting stuck!

Posted

aniwarni.gif

Possible raising to level 4 in the SE based on the 06Z GFS this morning!!!!

post-6667-0-96497700-1326970084.png

Posted

SNOWCON 6!!!!!!! Emergency meetings at the Daily Express and Daily Mail, staff writers may have to sleep in overnight to get the ramping complete for the next days headlines!

imagessnowfall.gif

Posted

blinky-red-yellow-animated.gif

Saturday into Sunday alert!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter
stock-photo-6823958-super-excited.jpg

Posted

SNOWCON 8 confirmed:

Mjones.jpg