Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell - General Discussion

Posted

Lowest temp of the winter here too this morning, at -3.2C, unusually late for the first temp below -3C here. Tonight should easily beat that though, perhaps -7C or so I'd imagine as the wind should fall calm allowing cold air to drain into the valley.

However the temp dropped to -2.7C, then leveled off, then rose over 1C as a breeze picked up again, and is refusing to drop so far.. I hope this drops or this will be the winter will be silly for refusing to give me proper low temps (even 2006/7 and 2007/8 got -4C or -5C.)

Posted

Already -5.7c at 2200hours which was reached at 0200 am last night!!!!

don't know but the wind is a tiny bit less strong but a reallly cold cold night ( i was out an hour ago and really keeps you awake )

The temp is still falling

Think -10c could be reached!!!

Lastest at 2330 a nice -6c just right on!!!!

Ps also much stronger windchill at -13,1c which also was reached at 0200 and wind just a tiny bit less stronger than yesterday.

Max windchill was this morning at -15.5c same time as low temp -7.5c at 0900

Edited by jean91

Posted

seeing this , and i know it is just a run but we are probably not over yet for very cold nights here.Funny how the cold stops at the Channel.Anyone want an invite for ice skating in Paris?

Rtavn10817.png

Edited by jean91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

It's -1 here at the moment, but no ice at all as the air is so dry.

Much milder weather forecasted at the weekend and the early days of next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

British Waterways are currently trying to fill two pounds in Herts to release boaters from a "No water" situation at Tring summit north of berkhamstead.

Contrary to advice given(about temps), they are going to spend overnight trying to fill 2 miles of empty , frozen mud lined pounds with water.

I would say that by 9am, they will have the largest iceberg this country has seen in years and will be able to sell skating tickets for months.

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

-9 at Benson with a dewpoint of -11 (23:50). Potential for it to drop quite a bit lower through the rest of the night if it stays calm?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Altnaharra also at -8C so a very cold night.

We should also remember that these locations have no snow cover which makes this very impressive.

-4C in Leeds currently and forecast to reach -6C with ice days tommorow and Saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

seeing this , and i know it is just a run but we are probably not over yet for very cold nights here.Funny how the cold stops at the Channel.Anyone want an invite for ice skating in Paris?

Rtavn10817.png

France getting the good weather as usual although the SE is joining in the party, hovering around -4 here.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Now this is more like it -4.7c

Still uncertainty how long this will go on for though. Slight hint from this mornings forecast that it may start returning to normal temps next week. UKMO hints at that but GFS not.

Posted

The last report from 0700 for my area is -9.1c ,but certainly still going down as sun is not out yet .In the greatest Paris area temps go from -8c in central Paris ( which is really cold as Paris usually gets the urban effect and its heat ) and -12c further east in far away suburbs!!!!

Most suburbs are at -9c

Edited by jean91

Posted

Europe is worth a look , if you click select cartes then Europe then the 0700 utc map :

The -15 c wide spread temps are really at the gate of France !!!!!!!!( well some stations in France got -15c just locallly)

europe_now.png

Edited by jean91

Posted

Very cold here, some light snow fell during the night but even under cloudy skies the temperature dropped to -6!

It looks like some even colder upper air has headed in as the temperature has now dropped to -7. Certainly when I was living in the UK I don't remember many days like today which really feels very Canadian!

Posted

Some really impressive values this morning for the Northeast France In Mulhouse -20c and the record for a low in February is -22.8c in February 1956 ( coldest month in the 20th century for France)

In Reims also -20c at 0630 am for a few mins with snow lying on the ground.

Yesterday for my part we had a bit of snow but not much just traces here and there but suburbs way more Northeast had a bit more , then sky clearing fast so that explains some temps not far from Paris which are nearing -13c

For my part got a -8c. A fairly wide spread area of -10c to -12c about 20 miles from my area ( east from me)

Edited by jean91

Posted

Still -7C in the Vale of York (fog?).

Also confirmed that we have the coldest start to February in 49 years.

Amongst all the moaning and groaning at FI output we have some very cold dry air coming our way tomorrow, -10C 850 hPa line clipping the SE and some very cold dry air being pulled off the conitnent, back to the freezer from tomorrow night, brrrrrr.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn422.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn4210.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn4817.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn421.png

Hilarious somebody thinks this run will turn zonal, looks blocked to me and look at the lack of mild TM air, hardly any at all out to our west :o

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1861.png

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1922.png

Still think though HP will be the dominant weather next week more what GFS 00Z showed, cant believe people think zonality will take over in mid February traditionally one of the quietest times of the year.

Also would hardly call at least two weeks of cold weather a short skirmish like some say, two weeks is nothing to be sniffed at with our climate.

Edited by Eugene

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Give me the current block to our east than this ECM chart anyday, some northerners actually like this kind of chart, pants compared to last week for proper cold, not bad run though but needs improvements.

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Recm2162.gif

awful chart, just as well pure FI, my location would see cheshire gap rain, not the best models, could well be a dirty high with drizzle most days around 3C

the high of 13-16 Jan, now that was a good high