Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

It's easier to fry ice cubes than get snow in Weymouth! :sorry:

Well lets keep our fingers crossed as this could be the only Snow chance the SW has for at least the next 7 days lol, I'm pretty sure the latest FI's in some of the models have the SW possibly getting into double figures in 2 weeks but I am sure that wont be the case .

Posted

Wow i bet all the people who said this cold spell is nailed are not gunna like this mornings models.

GFS is about the only run that is still showing potential while ECM sinks the low and UKMO has more of a SE or southerly air.

Posted

It was good news last night - snow. This morning a down grade as now have rain given for Sunday/Monday.

Those battle grounds between mild and cold must be a nightmare to predict I will try and not stress about it too much!! Well not until Sunday lunch weather prediction anyway.

Posted

Any i can't believe the disagreement on all 3 models again as we get closer to the time some real uncertainty now forming gunna be an exciting weekend and week ahead i feel.

Must be a real war between west vs east.

Edited by TomW

Posted

The image below is the Snowfall data from the ECM Model from the latest 00z run . As you can see if this Model is correct Many of you will wake up very happy Monday Morning

post-2826-0-97367700-1327739393_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

The image below is the Snowfall data from the ECM Model from the latest 00z run . As you can see if this Model is correct Many of you will wake up very happy Monday Morning

I like! Feeling quietly confident about this... Can't wait. Not sure if I love, or hate these knifedge situations tho....

Posted

I like! Feeling quietly confident about this... Can't wait. Not sure if I love, or hate these knifedge situations tho....

I hope so , I mean it is like all or nothing .. If the Colder uppers get far enough West then you could end up with 24 hours of falling Snow , but note I say falling not settling , it will of course settle in some areas but Coastal won't last very long IMO with sea salt and no Solid embedded Cold. But just to see some slushy deposits and big flakes would be great as a start :)

Posted

I remember in 1981/2 a similar scenario. Warm wet front v Easterly High & dry. Dorset got carpeted in snow. I got stuck in Dorchester for 24 hrs. Not a great experience!

Posted

I remember in 1981/2 a similar scenario. Warm wet front v Easterly High & dry. Dorset got carpeted in snow. I got stuck in Dorchester for 24 hrs. Not a great experience!

back in december 2010 apparently dorchester had a pasting then. go down weymouth and all gone! very poor for snow in weymouth. when was the last time snow last more then a day?

Posted

Probably back in the 80's!

Incidentally, Laura Tobin just said on BBC news weather forcast that the forcast currently changes with each of their model runs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

The latest forecast showed rain as far east as Swindon for Monday morning with temps 6-7c.

She said, mild in the west, cold in the east.

Posted

chris is the bbc graphics based on the ukmo. confused as fax looks different

I think they use a mix of all 3 , the graphic I just put up is direct from the ECM model . BBC could be going on latest GFS which tends to say Snow only in Wales at first why areas of Somerset get some Snowfall as it retreats back West , how ever off to check the latest GFS and see if there has been an update for the better.

Posted

NAE update is good for us apprantley. i can say we could get snow but may not settle. im not building my hopes up atm.

Edited by David-kig

Posted

Again the 6z has Bristol around the switch over area for Snow , It does seem to be making more of the warm sector how ever at 6am Monday temps range from 2 deg to -2 deg so I think it is going to be a case where some areas will get lucky and some wont depending on ppn rates , as Monday goes on though the Cold air does start to back West again so we could have rain turning to Snow in some areas .

48_30.gif

Posted

NAE update is good for us apprantley. i can say we could get snow but may not settle. im not building my hopes up atm.

Not really , pretty much same as GFS this is the NAE at 6am Monday Morning,

12013006_2806.gif

Posted

for my location that could go either way depending on how high you are above sea level i guess. hopefully it doesnt push so far east if we will miss out. close call

Posted

for my location that could go either way depending on how high you are above sea level i guess. hopefully it doesnt push so far east if we will miss out. close call

I just hope the GFS is over doing the warm sector , it brings it way to close right over Cornwall with ireland even showing 850's rising above 0 . Were running out of time so hopefully the 12z's will back off a bit , the reason the warm sector is coming so far over us is because it is pushing the PPN as far East as the East Midlands. But hopefully if the PPN gets pushed back west so will the warm factor and Devon and Somerset will become more conductive to Snowfall again, don't get me wrong it is still possible just very touch and go at the minute and 100% East of Bristol will see something out of the current GFS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Just woken up from my noddy snow land and it all seems very knife edge still for somerset... gulp

What amounts is the NAE giving anyhow? As that is normaly the most reliable within 24/48 hours.

Just seen this on IAN F's twitter....

“@bbcpointswest: Perhaps some snow over Cotwolds, forest of Dean, Mendips, Quantocks and Exmoor tomorrow locally 2-5 cm into late afternoonâ€

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Lol I work at Gala Bingo in Weston Super Mare , and if Weston get Snow and Weymouth doesn't you will probably find me bragging over the link Monday dinner time 2.30 pm lol

I occasionally go there with my buddies. I shall say hello next time I visit. :D

Posted

Voice of doom alert.

Based on my pine cones, garden, birds & a gut feeling I have said since last October that this winter would be mild and snowless for us. These old farmers know their stuff you know, so I refuse to have even a glimmer of hope about snowfall this winter. If it rains on Thursday then winter is over and bye bye possible cold front, hello spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Exciting stuff. I wonder if i'll see anything living 15 miles north of bristol....i can only hope and wait to see. Im hearing itll be a fairly light affair with maybe 2-5cm of snow if the front does position in our favour. Anything would be good after this winter so far!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snow

Hello - I'm in Wimborne, East Dorset. Do you think I belong here or in Central South thread? Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Exciting stuff. I wonder if i'll see anything living 15 miles north of bristol....i can only hope and wait to see. Im hearing itll be a fairly light affair with maybe 2-5cm of snow if the front does position in our favour. Anything would be good after this winter so far!

Yes Id say you have a chance there and like most of us I think we would be extremely happy to even see 1cm of laying snow the way this winter has been so far... :good:

Posted

I occasionally go there with my buddies. I shall say hello next time I visit. :D

hehe , where abouts in Somerset are you from ?

Hello - I'm in Wimborne, East Dorset. Do you think I belong here or in Central South thread? Thanks

Stay in here as we will be concentrating on the whole SW and your in my bingo region so your one of us lol