Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread - II

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Well, despite being a raging northerner, I will admit it's all eyes on your thread and the E Anglia one for the next 3 days. NAE and NMM broadly agree with 12z GFS solution up until +48 and +36 respectively with similar upper air temps progged for the same areas. Here's hoping the 18z GFS can upgrade a bit more and we may even see that -17c 850 reach the south-east...

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

It looks like the PPN pepping up near the Thames Estuary is taking more of an Easterly component in the radar....

There does indeed seem to be more of an easterly component to things now which is particularly frustrating for me. Type in TN14 and run the raintoday sequence and you'll probably see what I mean...I know I'm not actually missing much but still.

Edited by Kentish Kiwi

Posted

Yes, I agree the models tend not to pick up until 12hrs out sometimes, UKMO meso has been good at picking them up in their T+36 range, though don't have access to them anymore.

Keeping my eye on Thursday and Friday, as winds are suggested to be ENE with sub -10C T850s by then and we could see more moisture dragged to help build the snow clouds with help of lift along the coastline of the Thames Estuary.

Hi Nick F does that mean the snow intensity increase's after its gone along the estuary or will it start further out in the lower north sea/channel,my interest is being on the Herne Bay /Whitstable coast and saw last year that alot of the snow missed us and started hitting north kent/dartford area

Posted

Snow Obsession - only a few tiny flakes and stopped now! :lazy: This weather model watching is quite addictive but also incredibly frustrating - been hoping for some true winter weather through the whole of this winter and just hope for something special to end it!

Posted

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that we get those Thames streamers going :clapping: BTW..For anybody that missed it...I posted a link earlier in the old thread about a weather warning out for the WHOLE of the south east until at least Saturday..For snow and ice 1cm-40cm...Something worth keeping an eye out..

Blimey, 40cm of ice would be quite a lot. Is there a glacier coming?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

2c....Sleet as we came out of restuarant in Bexley Broadway. Just up the road from S Murrs place. You can see all his observation dishes from miles around !!.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Hi Nick F does that mean the snow intensity increase's after its gone along the estuary or will it start further out in the lower north sea/channel,my interest is being on the Herne Bay /Whitstable coast and saw last year that alot of the snow missed us and started hitting north kent/dartford area

Yes, during a streamer, snowfall tends to intensify inland of the coastline of the Thames Estuary - because the discontinuity and narrowing of the coastline from the flat sea the wind blows over causes the air (moistened over the sea) to be uplifted and condense which in turn builds cloud depth and hence brings a streamer of heavy snow inland. Sometimes a streamer can stretch well inland as far as Berkshire and Hampshire - helped by the rise of the land from the Thames Valley southwards towards the North Downs.

Yes, during a streamer, snowfall tends to intensify inland of the coastline of the Thames Estuary - because the discontinuity and narrowing of the coastline from the flat sea the wind blows over causes the air (moistened over the sea) to be uplifted and condense which in turn builds cloud depth and hence brings a streamer of heavy snow inland. Sometimes a streamer can stretch well inland as far as Berkshire and Hampshire - helped by the rise of the land from the Thames Valley southwards towards the North Downs.

Can the heat of London "Beef" them up too as it crosses over? I know it sounds stupid..Bit I heard it somewhere..

Posted

It looks like a streamer on the radar but not the type that will benefit anybody in a line from Rochester down to Brighton and east of that. It is all going over towards Dartford Sidcup Beckenham way the furthest south it is going is Sevenoaks and unless it strengthens I doubt very much if anybody in the area i have mentioned will get anything bar a few flakes blink and you miss it. Lets hope for it to pep up.

Posted

Well, despite being a raging northerner, I will admit it's all eyes on your thread and the E Anglia one for the next 3 days. NAE and NMM broadly agree with 12z GFS solution up until +48 and +36 respectively with similar upper air temps progged for the same areas. Here's hoping the 18z GFS can upgrade a bit more and we may even see that -17c 850 reach the south-east...

Nice post, thanks IF. As a raging northerner I am sure you are familiar with the notion of just popping round for a chat! We all leave our doors open to neighbours down here in the South, of course. Don't we? We don't? Ah, that explains why I appear to have no belongings apart from this lapto........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

ppn intensifying again on the radar but still nothing here.

Posted

Can the heat of London "Beef" them up too as it crosses over? I know it sounds stupid..Bit I heard it somewhere..

Yes it can

I wrote a paper about it on here a few years back from the 1-2nd February 2009 Event. If you put 1st February 2009 Snow Streamer event into the Search bar it should bring the thread in question up but unfortunately minus all my lovely charts I did which explained how it happened and how the Inversion stopped the coast from getting anything more than polystyrene balls of snow whereas Surrey got over 1 foot of Snow

Yes it can

I wrote a paper about it on here a few years back from the 1-2nd February 2009 Event. If you put 1st February 2009 Snow Streamer event into the Search bar it should bring the thread in question up but unfortunately minus all my lovely charts I did which explained how it happened and how the Inversion stopped the coast from getting anything more than polystyrene balls of snow whereas Surrey got over 1 foot of Snow

I thought so..Thanks for that will look into it...But of course..You do need a good Easterly breeze to get it going..That PPN has intensified on the latest radar run XD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm in lyminge now not Folkestone

Settled on shed roofs etc- not the ground

And not a lot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Looks like the pub run is doing its thing again, getting my hopes up before bedtime