Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread - II

Posted

Time to sign off for today. 2 minutes of delicate ice crystals earlier this evening; rather magical, albeit very short (oops, that sounds like Paul Daniels)

AS

Posted

YAMKIN never bends the truth ,Honest lol

Care to test that statement on Jeremy Kyle's lie detector snow tomorrow morning? :lol:

Posted

Time to sign off for today. 2 minutes of delicate ice crystals earlier this evening; rather magical, albeit very short (oops, that sounds like Paul Daniels)

AS

not a lot...

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Yeah that was the most amazing thing about that event, the biggest depth recorded was 52cm!!! :help: :help: :smilz38: In Surrey

Little did we know that just 10 months later in December 2009 and again in December 2010 we would be seeing the Thames Snow Streamer kicking into action, but the thing that i have noticed is they are nearly always different with just 1 smidgeon of a wind vector being a differing direction places can get either clobbered or stay bone dry!

Who would have though the following would occur from 3 Seperate Snow Streamers

1st Feb 2009 : 52cm in Surrey

17th Dec 2009 : 24cm in Kent

02nd Dec 2010 : 37cm here in good old Leigh On Sea (Essex)

We really have been spoiled over the past 3 winters from Thames Streamers

Will we get another on Thursday or Friday ?? Now that is the Million dollar question

I managed >45cm from the November/December 2010 streamer from (if I remember correctly) 70 hours of continuous snowfall, albeit it very light for periods. Noticeably more up at the top of the downs. Also, for me December 2009 was significantly better than February of that year, which, as you mention, illustrates just how subtle changes in the wind direction can have big impacts on the variation in snow depths.

This area is pretty well situated for any Thames streamer as long as the wind is a consistent E/ENE and doesn't veer too far north into more of a NEerly.

I'm not sure if anyone else will get what I'm talking about, but does anyone have an explanation for why, in easterlies, the wind seems to suddenly turn much more northerly in character as it moves in a westerly direction further inland, particularly so as it becomes lighter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm off to bed

It's still snowing moderate here not laying though

Not bending truth at all either

Night all - been a good pre starter !!

Posted

Looks like the radar is pepping up & the orientation of the showers are now travelling a lot more 'westerly' in the flow

S

Where would the favoured area's be Steve?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Oo last radar check before bed and I see a red blob ..... Come on blobby come here !

Posted

Well precip is really kicking in. Pressure is lower than what we will be expecting on Friday but obviously lapse rates will be much higher if the GFS comes off.

Not sure the high resolution models will get a grasp of any streamer till more or less on the day it happens.

Looks like the radar is pepping up & the orientation of the showers are now travelling a lot more 'westerly' in the flow

S

Yep as lapse rates increase the showers are perking up again. This should give a good heads up for later on this week providing the GFS is correct and the flow isn't adjusted southwards any.

Posted

Also and I am sure Smurf will back me up here, if you are STILL Wondering why the BBC Are forecasting zero Snowfall and dryness all week you only have to look at the UKMO Raw Output Faxes, if they are being fed this info then it is little wonder why the Tv Forecasters are not even entertaining the possibility of any of the white stuff this week!

Posted

Yep as lapse rates increase the showers are perking up again. This should give a good heads up for later on this week providing the GFS is correct and the flow isn't adjusted southwards any.

Yes, but in laymans terms, where?!! (assuming we are talking tonight!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

The BBC forecast tonight had a few snow showers in and around the SE overnight.

Still ppn on radar over me and still nothing to report.

Posted

S

Yep

Definite improvements over the last few scans, much more east to west movement and East Kent are possibly going to get a nice little bonus tonight, places like Dover, Deal, Folkestone and possibly Medway and Tonbridge areas could see something more than a covering. As Darren says showers now pepping up, a few more further up the coast along North Essex and Suffolk as well, not so much in the Thames Estaury yet though for areas North of the Thames

Estuary waking up- we have 3 snow showers on the local map- which have appeared in 15 mins-

Still very random but its the same old familiar story..... be interesting to see how convextive we get-

remember we are -8c 850 HPA in a SE flow V -15c 850 in an Easterly flow in 60 hours - whould get some big towers then!

S

Posted

Yep

Definite improvements over the last few scans, much more east to west movement and East Kent are possibly going to get a nice little bonus tonight, places like Dover, Deal, Folkestone and possibly Medway and Tonbridge areas could see something more than a covering. As Darren says showers now pepping up, a few more further up the coast along North Essex and Suffolk as well, not so much in the Thames Estaury yet though for areas North of the Thames

Thanks Paul - and on that note, I am off to bed!

Here's hoping to a snowy end of the week (as long as I am at home and not at the mercy of good old South Eastern Trains!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Estuary waking up- we have 3 snow showers on the local map- which have appeared in 15 mins-

Still very random but its the same old familiar story..... be interesting to see how convextive we get-

remember we are -8c 850 HPA in a SE flow V -15c 850 in an Easterly flow in 60 hours - whould get some big towers then!

S

Spoke to Liam Dutton over on Twitter and he said there could be a slight convergence developing in the Thames.

I am however, like other people, off to bed, my laptop will be beside me so no doubt i'll end up back here if anything worthwhile shows up in the Thames, think it will?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Quick question: What use is a cold snap without proper snowfall?

Answer: Lack of mud when walking the dog.

Incoming Streamer developing for dover & that corner

S

Spoke to Liam Dutton over on Twitter and he said there could be a slight convergence developing in the Thames.

I am however, like other people, off to bed, my laptop will be beside me so no doubt i'll end up back here if anything worthwhile shows up in the Thames, think it will?

try 1am

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Some hefty showers showing up just off the Kent coast on the radar, i certainly would be interested if i lived down there, unlikely to affect anywhere too far inland but certainly worth keeping an eye on.