Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread - II

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Precip still strengthening, and this is with 850hpa temps arlound -8C. Its very pleasing to see that and the thermal gradient is working its magic already...

From what I've read, the general thoughts are that the wind will dry out significantly by mid-week, even in spite of the increased thermal gradient... I don't fully understand why this is expected, except for it being an intensely cold and dry airmass, presumably differing to the current air we have now which is slightly more... 'moist'. Is this anything to be concerned about in your opinion? Is the air pressure expected to be any higher than it is now by the end of the week?

Posted

WEST

Yes I looked that- look at the flow developing things should go west north west- although it all depends on the 850 HPA steering barbs

S

lo I meant west of course Steve :rofl:

Posted

Is it me or are those showers over Margate etc taking a well quick swing east towards london ?????

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Is that a little squall line developing??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Quick question: What use is a cold snap without proper snowfall?

Disagree, I really enjoyed the very frosty cold spell in 2005-2006 (dec 2005) but there was no snow, snow is a bonus of course!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Just imagine if these showers give parts of Kent, Essex and London a cm or two tonight. That would be the first step in the Met getting it wrong with regards to their dry outlook!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

This is a Kent Clipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

This is a Kent Clipper

So far...but the showers are pushing west judging by the latest radar, so could affect more areas than E Kent.

Posted

Anything worth waiting up for in my neck of the woods? Good luck guys

Marie, You might see some very light snow flurries within the next hour or so :air_kiss:

Posted

Cant quite work it out to be honest.

A true Kent Clipper/Streamer would have wind vectors from NNE Veering Northerly as it usually only affects areas East of Medway, and clobbers Hythe, Folkestone etc.

This one seems to be moving towards the WNW From the ESE.

I seem to recall another Streamer that favours the southern side of the Thames in this Set-Up. And this might be It setting Up!

Strong ones have been known to reach parts of the Chilterns in years gone by I seem to remember, they tend to go the reverse way, Eg Still hit SE London but reach out across Watford etc etc

Posted

That was my main concern with the 18z. If the winds turn just a hint too far northerly, East Anglia will eat up all the moisture for my area while Maidstone eastwards gets hammered. It is fair to say an ENEerly is generally a better wind direction for the SE region as a whole, giving a better spread of snowfall, particularly further inland?

P20 from the pub run looks like an amazing evolution in terms of potential countrywide snowfall from an undercutting low, it's a shame no other operational run has hinted at something like that.

Ahh, your height is probably the significant factor there. If you're looking down on Sevenoaks Town you must be well above 200m.

P20 would be amazing after the undercut and country wide snows goes on to give a mid atlantic high and northely at end of fi. Dream run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Cold and Hot inc Stormy Weather

Checked here earlier after reports of light flurrys here and there. Just check again and wooooow.

Now i need the 5min radar.

Posted

A true Kent Clipper/Streamer would have wind vectors from NNE Veering Northerly as it usually only affects areas East of Medway, and clobbers Hythe, Folkestone etc.

I seem to recall another Streamer that favours the southern side of the Thames in this Set-Up. And this might be It setting Up!

Strong ones have been known to reach parts of the Chilterns in years gone by I seem to remember, they tend to go the reverse way, Eg Still hit SE London but reach out across Watford etc etc

See i am in the south west of London not far off the river Thames ( Putney Bridge ) lets hope for some action eh!

Posted

some bad news here.. its raining, just come in from mates just 10mins down the road, yep def raining, could be dew points aint that low yet?

Posted

I have to agree, been watching this build for hours, I am right on the front line at Whitstable, its not reached me yet, its very close, but it just seems to be getting strength from the tide coming in and warm water. Its 9c and tide coming in at this time and from this it seems to be building. It is interesting.

Edited by PureOcean

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

There are spits of rain in it :( :( :(