Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion Thread - Part 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

I am on my mum's laptop and just found a load of pictures on the laptop from the snowevent of 2/3 years ago and wow brings back memories.

Question: What weather will follow the band of snow on SUnday morning? WIll it be cloudy, party cloudy or blue sky?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

It will still be rain on the coast of cumbria, it always is.

Posted

It will still be rain on the coast of cumbria, it always is.

Uppers will be conducive for snow everywhere as the front hits, but the question will be how prolonged will the snow become? - far too early to call at this stage, the models won't get a handle on the front until it hits our shores and developments in the next 48 hours will have a major bearing on the final outcome.

As for it never snowing on the coast - look back at the events of Feb 5/6th 96, St Bees recorded copious amounts of snow as the front stalled over the region.

The perfect sceanrio for long lasting snow is for a stronger injection of heights to our east with a light SE feed forcing the front to align more on a NW-SE axis and stalling in situ over the west of the country.

I'll be surprised if come Sunday most of us are saying we never managed at least a temporary cover of snow. Places with altitude obviously will do much better and the lakeland fells will get a real pasting.

Longer term - those heights to our east won't be easily eroding, I suspect they will fight back early next week with pressure building over the country these eventually retrogressing NW in time thanks to scandi trough development sometime before mid month - enabling a bitter northerly/northeasterly airstream to envelop us.

Tonight -6 degrees already in Shap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Hello friends, not been on a lot this season but with all the 'will-it-won't-it' around at the moment, couldn't resist having a read of the friendly regional NW thread. :) I've been so hoping that this w/e would mirror the 6th Feb 1996 when we had the most memorable battleground scenario in 'recent' times (for the west anyway) Looks like Blackpool won't be cut off this time! Good luck to anyone further east of the region - expecting wet snow this far west.

Just as reminder of the chart from '96 -

Rrea00119960206.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Uppers will be conducive for snow everywhere as the front hits, but the question will be how prolonged will the snow become? - far too early to call at this stage, the models won't get a handle on the front until it hits our shores and developments in the next 48 hours will have a major bearing on the final outcome.

As for it never snowing on the coast - look back at the events of Feb 5/6th 96, St Bees recorded copious amounts of snow as the front stalled over the region.

The perfect sceanrio for long lasting snow is for a stronger injection of heights to our east with a light SE feed forcing the front to align more on a NW-SE axis and stalling in situ over the west of the country.

I'll be surprised if come Sunday most of us are saying we never managed at least a temporary cover of snow. Places with altitude obviously will do much better and the lakeland fells will get a real pasting.

Longer term - those heights to our east won't be easily eroding, I suspect they will fight back early next week with pressure building over the country these eventually retrogressing NW in time thanks to scandi trough development sometime before mid month - enabling a bitter northerly/northeasterly airstream to envelop us.

Tonight -6 degrees already in Shap.

Hi D, saw your post just after I posted the '96 chart!! Don't think the front was expected to stall then, so goes to show anything might happen in this setup.

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Hello friends, not been on a lot this season but with all the 'will-it-won't-it' around at the moment, couldn't resist having a read of the friendly regional NW thread. :) I've been so hoping that this w/e would mirror the 6th Feb 1996 when we had the most memorable battleground scenario in 'recent' times (for the west anyway) Looks like Blackpool won't be cut off this time! Good luck to anyone further east of the region - expecting wet snow this far west.

Rrea00119960206.gif

Wow someone still actually has the NW signature pic I made last winter before Backtrack took over with a new one :diablo: lol

Posted

Wow someone still actually has the NW signature pic I made last winter before Backtrack took over with a new one :diablo: lol

Makes me feel like 'so yesterday' SM!

Posted

Harsh climate has just posted that he predicts anywhere west of the Pennines will see NO SNOW!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

my temp and dp has risen 2c in 20minutes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Harsh climate has just posted that he predicts anywhere west of the Pennines will see NO SNOW!

Boo hiss ;-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I tried to take over, but I got stopped by an admin when the member list was at 7 people. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Rrea00119960206.gif

Long time no see! Great to see you back! :D

Posted

Lots of cloud coming in from the NE judging by the satellite. You can probably wave good bye to your frosts now.

Posted

Long time no see! Great to see you back! :D

Cheers LL. Let's hope west Lancs get's at least 10 mins of snow this w/e :)

Posted

Well he will be eating his words come Saturday, clearly should have gone to Speccsavers. Didn't look at the ECM.

Posted

Looks to me that the 18z has fallen into line with the other models, at least in the short term.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/gfsnh-2012020118-2-72.png?18 Snow from the Border regions down.

For now its all systems go for snow *touch wood*

Didn't expect the 18z to make the jump over tonight as I find that the 18z is usually the 12z output but on steroids.

Posted

Lots of cloud coming in from the NE judging by the satellite. You can probably wave good bye to your frosts now.

that explains the jump in temp and dp

Well he will be eating his words come Saturday, clearly should have gone to Speccsavers. Didn't look at the ECM.

netweathers ecm is diff to the french one

Posted

We've been stuck between -0.7C and -0.8C for an hour. I hate this. It really annoys me. :(

that explains the jump in temp and dp

netweathers ecm is diff to the french one

No it's not, it's just differently colour coded.

The cloud won't be here for another hour if it can makes the Pennines. Your temp won't have risen 2C, it's wrong. Use my station.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Looks to me that the 18z has fallen into line with the other models, at least in the short term.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/gfsnh-2012020118-2-72.png?18 Snow from the Border regions down.

For now its all systems go for snow *touch wood*

Didn't expect the 18z to make the jump over tonight as I find that the 18z is usually the 12z output but on steroids.

on my phone so can't check but is it set to stall or still a snow to rain event on the 18 z. cheers

Posted

We've been stuck between -0.7C and -0.8C for an hour. I hate this. It really annoys me. :(

No it's not, it's just differently colour coded.

The cloud won't be here for another hour if it can makes the Pennines. Your temp won't have risen 2C, it's wrong. Use my station.

my temp and dp jumped 2c in 20 mins

look at the graph

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IMERSEYS8

Posted

my temp and dp jumped 2c in 20 mins

look at the graph

http://www.wundergro...sp?ID=IMERSEYS8

Doesn't seem right to me. Discard that station, seems faulty.

Actually, if you check the history, there's no jump in temperature, the graph is just wrong.

Posted

Doesn't seem right to me. Discard that station, seems faulty.

Actually, if you check the history, there's no jump in temperature, the graph is just wrong.

yeah but the temp read -2.4 before i saw it.

Posted

on my phone so can't check but is it set to stall or still a snow to rain event on the 18 z. cheers

Its not as good as the ECM was, but its a very big improvement. It makes it east of the Pennines and into East Anglia and then stall, unfortunately turning back to rain near the coast for us in the north west still, but alot later than it did on the 12z. Eastern side of our region on this run would probably stay as snow though. But now its grasped the trend I expect it to trend westwards overtime.

But now I've looked at netweather Precip type charts and its alot more marginal. Now I dont know which one to believe lol. :wallbash:

Edited by Martin M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Its not as good as the ECM was, but its a very big improvement. It makes it east of the Pennines and into East Anglia and then stall, unfortunately turning back to rain near the coast for us in the north west still, but alot later than it did on the 12z. Eastern side of our region on this run would probably stay as snow though. But now its grasped the trend I expect it to trend westwards overtime.

But now I've looked at netweather Precip type charts and its alot more marginal. Now I dont know which one to believe lol. :wallbash:

some progress at least. and for early next week? thanks for that bud