Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread - Part 4

Posted

here in north kent for the third night in a row we have had no frost.... wondering why as its so damn cold out there .. and all the local weather forecasts said hard frost for us...

any ideas ?

Posted

KW can you move my post 662 over here please:)

Edited by Biggin

Posted

here in north kent for the third night in a row we have had no frost.... wondering why as its so damn cold out there .. and all the local weather forecasts said hard frost for us...

any ideas ?

You have had a frost, just not a Hoar frost as the air is so dry.

Posted

any ideas ?

You most certainly have had a very hard frost - Probably the most severe since the 10/11 Winter. Go outside and try to kick the Grass with your heel, you might injure yourself in the process as the Ground is hard with Frost. As the poster above said no saturation in the air with very very dry dewpoints means you cant actually see the frost but it is Penetrating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

So once again we're looking at "tomorrow"

I expect tomorrow will stay largely dry.

Posted

You most certainly have had a very hard frost - Probably the most severe since the 10/11 Winter. Go outside and try to kick the Grass with your heel, you might injure yourself in the process as the Ground is hard with Frost. As the poster above said no saturation in the air with very very dry dewpoints means you cant actually see the frost but it is Penetrating.

Yes, its shows how uncommon this set-up is that we have a frost even though it doesn't show. Not often we get this sort of very cold dry air from Europe!

Actually surprisingly good agreement on the 00/06z runs today of the front over the weekend, all 4 of the big models are pretty much identical...

Posted

ahh ! ty for explaining :)

Posted

any ideas ?

it was -3 here dont know if the air so cold or the beast from the east stops it , i was down felixstowe a little while ago the wind was biting and the sea was rougth , well all eyes on john hammond to-night

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

So once again we're looking at "tomorrow"

I expect tomorrow will stay largely dry.

It was always meant to be friday with an outside chance of a snow flurry wed - thurs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Drifting Snow in easterly winds, biting wind chill!

Met Office warnings? Hmmmm.......still not there. I don't think I've ever seen so much uncertainty from them.

There outlook suggests " Several bands of sleet & snow crossing our region " But still no warnings.

Posted

The ground is rock hard! Good thing because my large black evil beasty (large dog in avatar), cant dig holes anymore. He was rather miffed. I am actually quite glad we have had this cold in advance of any snow as whatever hits the ground now will not melt as it usually does. I'm still a bit on the fence as to whether the front gets this far east and if it does will it have anything left to give? Guess it is just a waiting game now.

I did get the window cleaners in and replaced the light bulb on the back yard light in preparation for lamppost watching. :D

Posted

Met Office warnings? Hmmmm.......still not there. I don't think I've ever seen so much uncertainty from them.

There outlook suggests " Several bands of sleet & snow crossing our region " But still no warnings.

I was just looking at that............very strange!

Posted

My gut is we will see a warning very soon, but they maybe waiting to see the 06z runs before commiting to issuing a warning for some parts to the country. I'm pretty certain we will require a yellow warning at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

There are plenty of time for warnings.

Bit stupid if they put one up and then have change it due to a shift in the models.

Be patient.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Chris Fawkes said on BBC weather at 1030 that the Met will put up the warnings later this morning.

Posted

Latest forecast had snow mounting up in the se as the front stalls ,dividing line between snow or rain seems to be where I live :doh: anyone E of Brighton get your spades ready :lol:

Posted

Pobably be a mad panic for Salt now, places like B@Q probably sold out

Yeah iv seen salt being sold at the front of the store in tesco and with loads of snow shovels! lol I would expect a warning from the met office around lunch time when they do there updates, would of thought we'd be in the advisory.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Drifting Snow in easterly winds, biting wind chill!

Orange (Be prepared) warning all day long for the SE once it does go up from them.

Still strange whilst I am patient, this is obviously being debated by the MO, and will come out later today I'd suspect.

Posted

any ideas ?

Hi Jackie

I think you will find that there was a frost but it was slightly different. it was a penetrating frost. not an air frost. i touched the ground this morning and it was rock solid. Agreed no hoar frost but there most def was a frost