Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread - Part 4

Posted

I am due to travel to High Wycombe on Saturday lunchtime from the East Hertfordshire/West Essex area. Part of me is wondering if that might actually be a pretty decent location to be in High Wycombe. Albeit I am also due to travel back to East Hertfordshire later during Sunday afternoon. Which might not be ideal if loads of snow around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

What is a Hoar frost and how is it different to 'normal' frost?

Posted

Its interesting to see how people are worried about how far east the front will get, when if anything the models are trending EASTWARDS...much more further east and we too will be in a snow-rain set-up and indeed a decent percentage of the 06z GFS ensembles suggest this.

Plenty of time for things to shift both east and west...however at the moment odds are looking pretty good for us getting some settling snow at some point. My gut would say 85% right now.

Posted

These type of Conditions we are experiencing are Indicitive of 1980's type winters for the younger members who have never actually lived through them. In the Period from 1979 - 1987 we had weeks upon weeks of dry cold frosty weather but when the Snows came they came with avengence! This I later learnt were situations like we have now with a huge block of Cold air priming the ground and the Battleground scenario with the Atlantic trying to come in and Snow events with the Cold winning out, If we had computers and Forums then the unpatient ones would have been the same as they are now, but as Coast said yesterday we never knew anything until the old Tv forecasts picked up on an advancing front usually 1 day ahead Max. I also think we have too much data at our disposal nowadays and the romance has been taken away.

Patience is a Virtue! That is all I am going to say atm

Posted

These type of Conditions we are experiencing are Indicitive of 1980's type winters for the younger members who have never actually lived through them. In the Period from 1979 - 1987 we had weeks upon weeks of dry cold frosty weather but when the Snows came they came with avengence! This I later learnt were situations like we have now with a huge block of Cold air priming the ground and the Battleground scenario with the Atlantic trying to come in and Snow events with the Cold winning out, If we had computers and Forums then the unpatient ones would have been the same as they are now, but as Coast said yesterday we never knew anything until the old Tv forecasts picked up on an advancing front usually 1 day ahead Max. I also think we have too much data at our disposal nowadays and the romance has been taken away.

Patience is a Virtue! That is all I am going to say atm

I remember those winters and its how I think of winters! Bright blue skies, frost and then some snow - which i seem to remember never stopped my parents driving around and trains worked too!!! I have been watching all week and in the past I would have said Brighton is almost always the place that the snowline stops at - we used to never get it, but the last two winters have changed all that. Actually hope we dont get snow and iced in like before, but cold, bright blue skies and some snow is great with me (not that I am fussy and unrealistic to think I can choose what mother nature dishes out!! )

with respect, if your joe public then yes the met office warnings are good and they have improved, however why do people in this thread need them, we probably have 95% of the data they use and our people on here create a nowcast.

Without dismissing them to much they are always behind the curve or out of date.

Heres my prediction for the front IF note IF it arrives at all.

All snow.

Highest accumulations to the west of the region.

Arriving midnight saturday into sun.

Sunday max temps minus 2

monday max temp minus 3/minus 4

Regards

steve

Posted

MO still showing rain for Brighton, snow inland. The general public sure do need warnings in my opinion, I dont know anyone else that watches weather like me so hope they put some up today, or at least get a bit more emphasis on the amounts or possible distruption according to these charts

Posted

I am due to travel to High Wycombe on Saturday lunchtime from the East Hertfordshire/West Essex area. Part of me is wondering if that might actually be a pretty decent location to be in High Wycombe. Albeit I am also due to travel back to East Hertfordshire later during Sunday afternoon. Which might not be ideal if loads of snow around.

Wont hit Herts to Wycombe area until late Sat eve so journey there will be OK. Also it should have petered out by Sun eve, maybe leave after 7pm to let the traffic and snow die out. Hope this helps

Posted

Got to laugh really. All the people at work here now have cottoned on to the possibility of snow this weekend and are asking me why I hadn't said anything earlier this week?

I've been bitten in the bum too many times before letting people know what may be coming and now I'm getting hassled for not pre warning them!!!!! :doh:

This is the airflow I love the best - dry continental air - Dropped to -2.6C overnight, although it is a balmy +1.2 here at the moment but with a moderate breeze, this will put the overnight frost in a hardish catergory.

I don't think the Met Office can make their mind up abou the weekend but to be fair they haver been given two alternative forecasts for the last 2 days - it is obviously a very hard one to call.

See that NW have come down on the snow side though - should be interesting.

Posted

with respect, if your joe public then yes the met office warnings are good and they have improved, however why do people in this thread need them, we probably have 95% of the data they use and our people on here create a nowcast.

Without dismissing them to much they are always behind the curve or out of date.

Heres my prediction for the front IF note IF it arrives at all.

All snow.

Highest accumulations to the west of the region.

Arriving midnight saturday into sun.

Sunday max temps minus 2

monday max temp minus 3/minus 4

Regards

steve

Hi Steve,

Weather forecasts and members going with the front properly over us on the weekend, seems an eastward extent of the front today also.

You highlight a big "IF" the front even reaches us! What are the chances of it stalling out west?

TV weather forecasts and BBC London seem confident of a snow event at the weekend.

Posted

Wow!!! Still dry as a bone out there!!!!

Rdtlmetd.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

MO still showing rain for Brighton, snow inland. The general public sure do need warnings in my opinion, I dont know anyone else that watches weather like me so hope they put some up today, or at least get a bit more emphasis on the amounts or possible distruption according to these charts

Good thing is that the MO like most are unsure how far east the precipitation will get and what areas will for sure get snow or rain, so it could change but maybe for the worse, only battleground snowfall which worked out here in recent times was January 13th 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I'm reserving judgement for now as I think there is more chance it not even getting this far than it turning to rain. I think western areas will be favoured - fronts have a habit of not getting this far (especially with such high pressure) and when they do, precipitation is often a lot less than further west. Watch this space I say.

Edited by Michael Prys-Roberts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Just watched bbc weather,they said significant snow and it will say as snow not rain yayyyyyyyy

I'm reserving judgement for now as I think there is more chance it not even getting this far than it turning to rain. I think western areas will be favoured - fronts have a habit of not getting this far (especially with such high pressure) and when they do, precipitation is often a lot less than further west. Watch this space I say.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=wira; xd

Posted

Just got to hope the front reaches us - can you imagine the disapointment waking up Sunday morning, pulling the curtains back and it being bone dry?

Doesn't bear thinking about actually!