Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (cymru) - Regional Weather Discussion (part 4)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Better than nothing tho blackjack?

Ummm not sure. I'd rather nothing than mediocrity

Posted

Still light snow here, 2cm covering (just went out and measured it). Temp 0.6c, dp -2.0c.

One model that's not got it quite right is the NMM which according the the overlays on the NW radar has upper air temps of between -2 and 0 here, with the -2 to -4 line well to the east of us. I assume this is what feeds into the NW radar to be showing rain at the moment (and for up to 50miles east of us) when in fact it is snow, so over-progressive with the warm air.

The fronts seems to have come through if anything slightly quicker than expected (cold front is catching the warm front now) but bringing less warmth with them and less precipitation too. Precip hasn't really been heavy so far today hence why we've just had 2cm in 3 hours of snow falling.

Posted

kind of stopped here now andy sleety snow.

Still snowing hard up here - what asl level have you got where you are Worldairgroup?

Posted

had a good covering here, looks as if the snow is starting to turn to sleet.

Posted

I'm quite impressed by how long the snow is lasting around here, and how the temperature doesn't seem to be rising (it fell from 1.0C to 0.5C within the last hour).

Posted

Temp is slowly creeping up, 0.5c now. Can't see anything falling from the sky at the moment. 2-3cm of snow.

How is this front going to intensify to give the south east 10-15cm of snow? Things usually fizzle out before it reaches eastern England hence why it's such a dry area. Very unusual if you ask me.

Weather man John Hammond stated that he will not be going home tonight because of the snow in London. Get a grip man! 10-15cm is hardly record breaking. They don't half kick up a fuss.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by TonyH, February 4, 2012 - duplicate
Hidden by TonyH, February 4, 2012 - duplicate

This was at 12.30 up Ebbw Vale. I'll go take some from here now (Treowen)

Posted

Temp is slowly creeping up, 0.5c now. Can't see anything falling from the sky at the moment. 2-3cm of snow.

How is this front going to intensify to give the south east 10-15cm of snow? Things usually fizzle out before it reaches eastern England hence why it's such a dry area. Very unusual if you ask me.

Weather man John Hammond stated that he will not be going home tonight because of the snow in London. Get a grip man! 10-15cm is hardly record breaking. They don't half kick up a fuss.

seems a bit of an odd statement to make in London when everywhere is basically flat - not so around here - we are basically trapped up here unless we trudge through the snow - everywhere off this mountain is down a fairly steep incline - just not worth knackering the cars or more importantly risk our lives to even try - and it's very heavy snow again - the heavier precip from the front has now reached us again - seems we may be just over half way through this spell - I wonder how much longer we can hang onto the snow?

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

Because he physically can't or because he's too excited watching the radar? haha

Edited by Scarlet_Snow

Posted

Excellent Gfs tonight stunning cold easterlies snow possible Wednesday Thurday Friday very cold with sharp frosts ,very unusual to see so much precipation in a easterly flow.Short waves running east to west front trying to encroach from the west FIREWORKS.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry or freezing snow extremes!

Hi andy.

Had a bit here in swansea, so cant complain too much , but turned quicky to horrible slush etc.... when do you think the next event will be??

From the forecasts i cant see much more happening in the forseeable.... mild can seemingly be nailed on from 7-10 days yet when it comes to snow its never nailed on until within 2 days lol !!

Odds always against here at lower levels and by the sea.

Posted

Because he physically can't or because he's too excited watching the radar? haha

hehe.ye maybe. shouldn't blame him for being a little excited.

seems a bit of an odd statement to make in London when everywhere is basically flat - not so around here - we are basically trapped up here unless we trudge through the snow - everywhere off this mountain is down a fairly steep incline - just not worth knackering the cars or more importantly risk our lives to even try - and it's very heavy snow again - the heavier precip from the front has now reached us again - seems we may be just over half way through this spell - I wonder how much longer we can hang onto the snow?

That's what I'm thinking. Looks like more coming our way but what will it be?

Posted

Excellent Gfs tonight stunning cold easterlies snow possible Wednesday Thurday Friday very cold with sharp frosts ,very unusual to see so much precipation in a easterly flow.

Yes. Interesting times ahead. Could be a memorable month

When do you think things will start to firm up?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

The thought of snow in London while I've had to endure hours of freezing rain makes me want to puke. As does the thought of the South East Englanders crowing about it!

Posted

Picture updates from Nelson.

http://forum.netweat...38-picture-579/

http://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/15240-picture-580/

It's hardly deep but as it's now been snowing for 9 hours the roads are quite a mess. Coming down thick again now, temperature fallen back to 0C. Still, it's got a fair way to go before it beats the December 2010 snowfall (!), pictures in the same gallery as the links above.

:)

Edited by jackfrost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

So Folks, can we have a look into a crystal ball for a few moments and see what's coming up for Wales next week?

Do you mean the met Office are wrong? They are spot on again, look at the amber warnings for your area. Always was going to be an East Wales mostly high ground event, pretty much what I expected from the forecasts, and I think the Met Office have handled this one amazingly well, in spite of the extremely complex and rare synoptic situation.

It's wet in west Wales.

I think what has happened here is a lot of people thought they wouldn't get much after last week, when the setup was better, If we look at Met Office, here we are in the yellow area, with 2-5cm of snow possible. at 3pm here was was probably an inch on most surfaces, since then it has reverted back to rain, but due to the frozen ground, the snow still cover the garden albeit slushly.

Of course it didn't help yesterday tha the BBC forecasts underplayed snow amounts.

My gut feeling was that it would start off as snow before reverting back to rain, correct in a sense but I didn't think the snow would last as long as it did,, in this case the snow pushing in earleri than expected helped.

PS My spelling needs improving.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Just rain all day here with a top temp of 3C... felt very raw and cold all day, horrible really. Hoping for some snow Wednesday onwards then...