Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Cold Spell Part 2

Zenarcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Ah well, eyes down for The Day After Tomorrow!! (not)

Ah well, eyes down for The Day After Tomorrow!! (not)

Stranger things have happened...you never know what it's going to spit out at this time of night :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Elsewhere on the Black Isle at the weekend:

I wonder if that was originally written in blood but it washed off in the rain?

Posted

Can you believe it …. they sent my Census form back

In response to the question: "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants; 1.1 million crack heads; 2.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons; and 565 idiots in Parliament.

Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Who did I miss ?

PS temp on the rise, now up to 0c from -2c earlier

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Some fine photos this evening.. Europe looks harsh - just hurry up and share the cold please... not had a good look at the models yet today, a) because I don't know what they are trying to present and because they don't have a scooby either..

Fine, sunny, frosty cold day - no dumpings of snow this winter, but you have to say it's pretty much delivered everything else.

Can't help thinking the last 2 Winters ( 100 year event / Best Easterly within recent memory) have ramped expectations. Still, can understand why many are calling this the worst winter for ages, ever hopeful - still would love to be looking forward to flinging my kids down a hill on a sledge, and am sure that'll happen at some point over the next 5-6 weeks.

PS Daily Mail is most popular on line paper in the World ??? ( Must be the pictures) !

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Elsewhere on the Black Isle at the weekend:

I agree, SS, that the DM is for bairns - with added playground viciousness..

You found Mondy's new hide oot. :rofl:

Posted

It's quite possible that this winter could end up below average temp wise overall but be considered awful because of a lack of deep snow events.

My average temps: Dec 3.35C

Jan 3.45C

Posted

Current temp -1.4C. 6 days into the month and five with air frost. Already more than last Feb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

It's quite possible that this winter could end up below average temp wise overall but be considered awful because of a lack of deep snow events.

My average temps: Dec 3.35C

Jan 3.45C

How do you calculate your average temps? I had a weather station - now defunct - which gave an 'average temp' for each month but I couldn't see how it worked it out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

PS Daily Mail is most popular on line paper in the World ??? ( Must be the pictures) !

Yes, something for everyone really: Page 4 'campaign for decency: WHY IS OUR CHRISTIAN HERITAGE BEING SOILED ON BY THE LOONY LEFT AND THEIR PC HEALTH AND SAFETY NUDE ASYLUM SEEKING ACCOMPLICES'

Page 5 *conveniently placed saucy picture*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Much more amplified trough over the eastern seaboard on the pub run:

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20120206/18/138/npsh500.png

Might not lead to a great FI but it's promising sign. If the other models decide to do this we could well be in business with full on retrogression tomorrow.

Posted

I think the only reason the DM is still going, is because a tipped of PI, talking to the head of MI5, with a bunge from the editor would struggle to come up with the stories.

Posted

h500slp.png

Complete and utter mess in FI.

We end up in the almost unheard of position of being under a cold southerly flow from a northwest Euro high which is being eroded away by the notrherly tracking jet

h850t850eu.png

Posted

How do you calculate your average temps? I had a weather station - now defunct - which gave an 'average temp' for each month but I couldn't see how it worked it out.

I just put the daily maxes and mins in a spreadsheet. Add them each up and divide by no. Of days month. I then get overall average from average max and min.

Edited by howham

Posted

h500slp.png

Complete and utter mess in FI.

We end up in the almost unheard of position of being under a cold southerly flow from a northwest Euro high which is being eroded away by the notrherly tracking jet

h850t850eu.png

Yup, the models are confused. Just compared GFS 12z and 18z FI and concluded that there really is no trend. However, looking at this run - the potential for a Greenland High is still there - the next weeks; not days will tell the story.

Posted

Boy is it cold again. -5c and still very much frozen solid.

If the 00z ECM comes off, -5 will be well and truly surpassed!

post-1989-0-40054500-1328597760_thumb.pn post-1989-0-80787400-1328597836_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-51372200-1328597923_thumb.pn post-1989-0-54274900-1328597967_thumb.pn

Those uppers are -12c I believe? I think this is what HC was looking for. I can just see him in his long Johns! God, if that doesn't put me off my cornflakes, I don't know what will!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

-8'C here in Inverness this morning, rather fuar to say the least!

Going to take a rest from the models for a few days, hopefully I'll be greeted with a raging NErly when I return, I've waited so long :)

Posted

-8'C here in Inverness this morning, rather fuar to say the least!

Going to take a rest from the models for a few days, hopefully I'll be greeted with a raging NErly when I return, I've waited so long :)

Chicken! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Chicken! :lol:

Probably, haha! I confess I don't like the stress of the model thread, only the excitement. I just don't like to use the ignore button on anyone at all, so I just have to put up with others dramatically flipping between joy and sorrow as the models struggle in difficult set ups. Besides, gives me more motivation to get on with uni work.

I'll pop into the Scottish Thread, of course - no place like it on NW and a corner of sanity in this world :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Probably, haha! I confess I don't like the stress of the model thread, only the excitement.

I never bother with the model thread. Who needs to when you have LSS and Blitzen's summaries!

Certainly some colder looking charts on this morning's output - good news.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Prior to the resurgent PV solution the models projected around the 14th -15th Feb as a renewed Easterly / North Easterly solution with the cold pool over Europe finally paying a visit.

Just when yesterday there were signs of the fat lady clearing her throat in the model thread, it looks like she has a bout of laryngitis this morning.

ECM 192 brings the cold a day later than this previously modelled trend, good WAA shown here and the PV reformation held back from Greenland.

post-7292-0-80719900-1328601356_thumb.gi post-7292-0-14444300-1328601401_thumb.gi

Hope this trend continues later today and this is not a transient Northerly blast leaving the in situe UK High. Looking at overnight temps in Europe from last night back to a week ago, UK on shelf one in the freezer where as last week we were just outside the door looking in. Brrrrrr.

Encouraging today and an interesting Meto outlook for days 16-30 awaits after lunch..

Edited by lorenzo