Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion Thread - Part 2

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

One more thing to add, I have just noticed that our regional thread is by far the shortest in the entire UK apart from that is......scotland that has faired equally as bad in the last few days. Poor!!

Hi Nick thanks for the reply and fingers crossed we get our much needed snow

Edited by Continental Climate

Posted

Not many areas in London have got anything more than 1cm currently, and as the showers move SW tonight, not many should pass the 1 inch mark, which we received on Saturday.

Big flakes mean wet and marginal snow, they don't indicate how heavy the snow is.

You simply noted the n'ly doesn't look like happening, nothing to do with a ne'ly?

Wasn't being scientific about it TBH.

WHen I say London I mean not just the centre - I'm talking Croydon, Reigate, etc outskirts, where most people actually live. Fact is they've had several cms - if not inches - of snow - last Sat and now today. We haven't. Everything else is just semantics, surely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Not many areas in London have got anything more than 1cm currently, and as the showers move SW tonight, not many should pass the 1 inch mark, which we received on Saturday.

Big flakes mean wet and marginal snow, they don't indicate how heavy the snow is.

You simply noted the n'ly doesn't look like happening, nothing to do with a ne'ly?

We need a ne'ly tbh not northerly/northwesterly

Posted

COmpare that with London and other areas in the S atm - already 2 or 3cms and looking like a few hours to come, as well a decent few inches on Sat - a LOT more than us.

Don't forget, southerners lie. They usually measure the width rather than the depth of snow - then double it. Then whatever figure in centimetres that works out at, then give the same figure as inches - and add 3 on.

I've seen 8 metres level depth quoted and the picture supplied was a patchy dusting.

Don't forget - southerners tell LIES. It is impossible for them to get more snow than us, impossible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Wasn't being scientific about it TBH.

WHen I say London I mean not just the centre - I'm talking Croydon, Reigate, etc outskirts, where most people actually live. Fact is they've had several cms - if not inches - of snow - last Sat and now today. We haven't. Everything else is just semantics, surely.

When we got between 35-45cm in late Nov 2010, we were not complaining certainly. Things even themselves out, complaining about 1 or 2cms difference is bizarre. Synoptics work this way, sometimes we get the sweet spot, sometimes not. Moaning won't change anything.

Posted

When we got between 35-45cm in late Nov 2010, we were not complaining certainly. Things even themselves out, complaining about 1 or 2cms difference is bizarre. Synoptics work this way, sometimes we get the sweet spot, sometimes not. Moaning won't change anything.

Yup feast or famine. 2 great snow years before this drought, having said that I had a decent snowfall on Satrurday, a proper one.

Posted

I'm not sure you've grasped the point of moaning. ;)

THe difference between the whole ground covered by 2 -4 inches of creaking snow and the windswept 25% covering of 2cms with 75% bald patches we got on Sat is pretty evident, I'd've thought. :acute:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Don't forget, southerners lie. They usually measure the width rather than the depth of snow - then double it. Then whatever figure in centimetres that works out at, then give the same figure as inches - and add 3 on.

I've seen 8 metres level depth quoted and the picture supplied was a patchy dusting.

Don't forget - southerners tell LIES. It is impossible for them to get more snow than us, impossible.

Hahahah quality! To be fair I am proper hacked off it's not often that the south get more snow than the north esp Scotland! Weird but then again not that hard to understand seeing as they are closer to the continent and it's freezing cold over there at the min!

Edited by Paul-Michael

Posted

I should add my folks in E Kent have got over 15 cms of lying snow - have had since Sat, and before that even they had 1-2 inches lying. It's just a tad frustrating when they get the best summers and we get a load of crud... and they the same thing happens in winter too! This is OUR season I tell you, OURS! ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I'm not sure you've grasped the point of moaning. ;)

THe difference between the whole ground covered by 2 -4 inches of creaking snow and the windswept 25% covering of 2cms with 75% bald patches we got on Sat is pretty evident, I'd've thought. :acute:

Don't worry we will have our turn again, if not this year next and we will be relishing in it just like we have done many times before!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

The bad thing about this year is the lack of northerlys, easterlys can deliver big time for our region but getting type of easterly is rare as we have seen this year. But listening to the more experienced posters in the model thread i think our time will come in the next few weeks, i would like to see a north easterly from a scandi high they always deliver the goods

Let the southerners have there few cms lets not forget last year and the year before we go pasted for a least one month of winter.

Posted

THis is proper snow - 2nd webcam down - the big one

http://www.praguewebcam.com/

It's actually eased off a bit now - it was a thick and fast 20 mins ago - good bookmark that one anyway.

Edited by NickR

Posted

I should add my folks in E Kent have got over 15 cms of lying snow - have had since Sat, and before that even they had 1-2 inches lying.

Just live in denial mate, works for me.

Repeat after me "they are making it up, they probably haven't got any snow at all" as many times as you need to do until you believe it

Posted

All I am saying, NE England is by far the best region when it comes to snow potential in winter. A dominance of hp-dominated east/south-easterly winds and a lack of arctic (maritime or continental air) is to blame for.

Northerly airflows with arctic origin allow Northern Ireland, N and NE Scotland, NE England and E Anglia to be best-placed.

North-easterly airflows with arctic origin allow E Scotland and NE England to be best-placed.

Easterly airflows with arctic origin allow all eastern coastlines to be best-placed.

Note, arctic origin, not polar dominated. A lack of troughing in Scandinavia/C Europe and lack of heights to the north-west have generally meant a strong russian high has dictated the weather. An unlucky winter so far for the NE, but I sense some arctic air flowing into britain via the north and north-east looking at the NWP, GWO plot, strat outlook and 500hpa outlook.

Posted

Just live in denial mate, works for me.

Repeat after me "they are making it up, they probably haven't got any snow at all" as many times as you need to do until you believe it

I tried that... they just moved to the backdoor with the laptop when we were on skype. :cray:

TO be fair, they are on the N Downs to tend to do well.

Posted

All I am saying, NE England is by far the best region when it comes to snow potential in winter.

Note to NickR - the quote above shows how to live in denial. Has he mentioned our hot dry summers yet?

Edited by paul tall

Posted
Note to NickR - the quote above shows how to live in denial. Has he mentioned our hot dry summers yet?

LOL

:rofl:;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Is this seriously a weather related forum?

I thought I'd just stumbled across an internet suicide watch thread :lol:

It's the weather, you know, the thing that will do what it will do regardless of how much people 'want' it to do!!

Mind you, some folk don't help themselves when they make up stuff about clouds heading towards the coast (obviuosly where they live) and about to bury them in snow - how funny is that??!!

I'm sure if some folk go back over their posts in a day or twos time they will delete them to save embarassment. If they don't then they are dafter and more deluded that I give them credit for! :D

Posted

LOL

I generally meant in low-lying England... N and E Scotland generally beat us and of course most hilly ranges.

Posted

Is this seriously a weather related forum?

I thought I'd just stumbled across an internet suicide watch thread :lol:

It's the weather, you know, the thing that will do what it will do regardless of how much people 'want' it to do!!

Mind you, some folk don't help themselves when they make up stuff about clouds heading towards the coast (obviuosly where they live) and about to bury them in snow - how funny is that??!!

I'm sure if some folk go back over their posts in a day or twos time they will delete them to save embarassment. If they don't then they are dafter and more deluded that I give them credit for! :D

I'm realistic when the "(non)event" is happening - I don't see clouds moving where they aren't, for example ;)... but I like my moaning...;) Gotta let off steam some times. Either that or try to get everyone in the NE to look to the NE and suck in deeply.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

NickR.

I wouldn't totally write off the idea of something white next week just yet.

It's clear from the way the models have behaved the past few weeks that anything can yet happen before February is out.

Still, there's always next winter if nothing materialises this winter. Only 9 months until November :p

Posted

I sense the air of dispondency in this thread today - once again our region is too far north to benefit from any snow, mind we did very well last Saturday so I'm not feeling so dispondent. Also this snow event was not even on anyones radar a couple of days ago - it very much is a bomus snow event for those lucky people further south.

Back to day - a shocker bitterly cold with freezing rain coating everything creating major hazard for the roads. Schools closed, lots of accidents etc.. Not experienced freezing rain on this same scale before.

Another day with temps struggling above freezing - this is certainly one of the coldest starts to Feb for a long long time..

The next couple of days do look very miserable for Cumbria - low cloud and no sunshine and temps climbing up to about 2 degrees at best.. Looking forward to the polar maritime blast early next week to clear all the dank gloom away and bring back some sparkling visibility and proper snow to the fells again. Give me a polar maritime blast over a polar continental blast any day.

Those worried about chances of snow this season - don't, its the 9th Feb, northerlies and northeasterlies become much more likely as we enter late winter/early spring and I'm preety confident we will have endured a potent lengthy arctic blast before the month is out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

To be fair NE England is the best low lying place in England for snow - we often even beat cities such as Leeds / Bradford which are quite a bit higher that the populated areas of NE England, bar Consett etc of course. When you look at all the 20cm falls in the NE there have been quite a lot, albeit with a very large gap between 1991 and 2010, whereas they are very rare in places down south.

And I'm not saying winter is over, but it is extremely unlikely we'll be able to see anything as prolonged as the cold spells in the last couple of winters now. March can deliver - a snow event which I'd love to see is one like mid-March 1979 when 50cm fell in Newcastle over a couple of days where a convective band of snow parked itself over NE England. We have seen plenty of deep snow since then, but nothing on the same scale with blizzard conditions.

http://www.neforum2....ereweather.html

--> 45cm in Gosforth, 30cm in Durham, March 1979 :D

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

To be fair NE England is the best low lying place in England for snow - we often even beat cities such as Leeds / Bradford which are quite a bit higher that the populated areas of NE England, bar Consett etc of course. When you look at all the 20cm falls in the NE there have been quite a lot, albeit with a very large gap between 1991 and 2010, whereas they are very rare in places down south.

And I'm not saying winter is over, but it is extremely unlikely we'll be able to see anything as prolonged as the cold spells in the last couple of winters now. March can deliver - a snow event which I'd love to see is one like mid-March 1979 when 50cm fell in Newcastle over a couple of days where a convective band of snow parked itself over NE England. We have seen plenty of deep snow since then, but nothing on the same scale with blizzard conditions.

http://www.neforum2....ereweather.html

--> 45cm in Gosforth, 30cm in Durham, March 1979 :D

My mother has got some photos of me in 1979 standing at the top of a country road in Hepscott near Morpeth (just 200ft asl). The drifts are level with the tops of the hedges as far as you can see and I was sledging down them. I keep meaning to scan it and post it on here as its not been seen in that area since.