Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 5

kold weather

Posted

Shocking forecasting from the models and professionals on this. However no one really knew what was going to happen. Shame but it looks like barely anyone will do too well out of this. PPN looks like it will already be gone soon enough here.

I did say the NAE has a nast west Bias that comes out to play with fronts that come down from the north. I've no idea why but here seems to be another textbook example, to add to the already fairly large list I've got. I did warn weather09 yesterday about it, but I don't think he took it very seriously...maybe this will change his/her mind...

Posted

What terrible forecasting for this weather tonight. I had to laugh at the report on

Midlands Today about snow tonight when it looks like we'll end up with nothing but

boring drizzle and freezing rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

So many people out there are expecting a right dumping tonight. Many disappointed people tomorrow for those who wanted it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

No snow at all here today although there was some sleet at times this afternoon mixed in with freezing rain and ice pellets.

Despite the latest Met' Office forecast suggesting an area of snow developing and moving south east across the Midlands the radar is suggesting otherwise.

There's an extensive area of light rain over north west England and the West Midlands and an area of heavier precipitation over Humberside, Lincs and south into Norfolk and Northants which appears to be moving due south.

Unless there's either some significant development to the north or a sudden change in direction anywhere north west of a line through mid Notts and down into mid Leicestershire doesn't look lying seeing much in the way of snow at all.

Posted

Gona stick my nexk out here and say this is far from over for those in the west. Looking at the sat images it does look like it is heading over this way. Time will tell :) If it does just sink south then the computers got it VERY wrong!!

Posted

The only crumb I can see is on the meteox +3hr radar forecast which finally shows a SW movement. I think Nottingham will be just too far North to benefit, but Leicester just might catch it.

Also remember the models and forecast have been saying our real snow will come between 21.00 and 00.00 - perhaps that is the way it will turn out.

...blind faith!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Most of us have nothing, only left over snow

Moderate snow now in St Ives Cambs. Temp -0.4C Dewpoint -4.73. TEITS was spot on last night, he beat the pro's.

The front looks like it has completely split in two - is the Western section all rain?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Nothing even falling here now. Looks like thats it already even in terms of rain here! :lol:

Perhaps one of the biggest forecasting mess ups ive ever known here.

Posted

To be honest this from the 12z is what seems to have panned out after all - perhaps the model wasn't so far out.prectypeuktopo.png

So perhaps this one will as well prectypeuktopo.png

Edited by JonMillar

Posted

This is the problem. I can understand this morning's and even this afternoon's forecast having heavy snow in them because there was that chance. Yes, the models are looking like they were very wrong but I certainly place no blame at the Met Office's feet. They are professionals and issued forecasts with the data they had. It must be an incredibly hard thing to do and they get my upmost respect.

But a forecast just before 7pm on BBC1 (Midlands Today) when it's becoming clear that we're not going to get the snow to say that we are is bordering a bit on irresponsible.

Posted

Definate shunt westwards on the last frame of this radar, if you look at where the place name Sunderland is, you'll see what I mean?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted

Same. We could do with it starting to back west now otherwise we will miss out later. The track of this has been totally different to what was forecast so far.

Northants is perfectly placed, we weren't until about 3pm this afternoon. But we are now. No freezing rain nonsence, just all snow. Huzzah.

Posted

Nothing even falling here now. Looks like thats it already even in terms of rain here! :lol:

Perhaps one of the biggest forecasting mess ups ive ever known here.

Yes. Appalling forecasting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

No snow at all here today although there was some sleet at times this afternoon mixed in with freezing rain and ice pellets.

Despite the latest Met' Office forecast suggesting an area of snow developing and moving south east across the Midlands the radar is suggesting otherwise.

There's an extensive area of light rain over north west England and the West Midlands and an area of heavier precipitation over Humberside, Lincs and south into Norfolk and Northants which appears to be moving due south.

Unless there's either some significant development to the north or a sudden change in direction anywhere north west of a line through mid Notts and down into mid Leicestershire doesn't look lying seeing much in the way of snow at all.

Honestly i cannot believe the mood in hear now. The bbc said the area of snow ''developing'' this is still evolving and how many times have we seen in the past radar developing out of nowhere? The front is forecast to pivot and pull west , it will start happening over the next few hours, and regarding the bbc, they have been way off all day , why will they be right now ? Its a now casting event, which is the best, nothing more.

Edited by shaun wilmer

Posted

Suppose we should shuffle off to the eastern regional threads and read their snowy reports. Hopefully they'll let us deprived westerners in to watch...if we promise we'll keep quiet.

Posted

Definate shunt westwards on the last frame of this radar, if you look at where the place name Sunderland is, you'll see what I mean?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Yep, changes afoot methinks. Let's just hope the North Sea keeps the conveyer belt going all night :)

Bish

Posted

To be honest this from the 12z is what seems to have panned out after all - perhaps the model wasn't so far out.prectypeuktopo.png

So perhaps this one will as well prectypeuktopo.png

It was forecast like this by the models upto about 36-48 hours then suddenly it all got shifted west, only at the last minute to be rectified. I said that if it was more for the West Midlands or areas west of the M1 they would have had a spell of freezing rain or the like, i.e. not starting out as snow. So even resigned at that point to not having the heavier ppn, I knew it would start out as snow. Now we have the best of both worlds.

Posted

Suppose we should shuffle off to the eastern regional threads and read their snowy reports. Hopefully they'll let us deprived westerners in to watch...if we promise we'll keep quiet.

I dont think I could bear it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Or I could just be a sore loser and delete their entire thread, that'll teach 'em to gloat! ....lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Or I could just be a sore loser and delete their entire thread, that'll teach 'em to gloat! ....lol

LOL double dares ya

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Its actually making me bubble inside how mis-leading the midlands today, bbc weather at 6.30 and channel 3 have been, never mind the models. Looks like it'l dry up here now and for most of the surrounding area for the remainder of the night. Its so, so agrevating to imagine people lampost checking all night to find nothing and then walking down the town tommorow someone will say 'oooo the snow didnt come then did it' and use generalised comments like that. Generalised public comments regarding the weather are so annoying, but thats a differet story all together. This is abysmal forecasting.